It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Japan has a 6.1 Magnitude Earthquake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Early monday morning an earthquake struck Tokyo. There has been no reported damages from the 6.1 magnitude Earthquake; although trains did stop running from city to city. There was no tsunami alert issued after the earthquake. This is the second earthquake in the last 24 hours.

news.yahoo.com
TOKYO (Reuters) - A strong earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.1 jolted the Tokyo region on Monday morning, but no tsunami warning was issued and there were no reports of serious damage or injuries.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well, Japan is a hot-spot for earthquakes, and although no Tsunami alert was issued, they should still be on the defensive. Hopefully, nothing further materializes from this, and everyone comes out unscathed. Also, lets pray these seemingly constant earthquakes come to a halt.

[edit on 10-4-2005 by Ryanp5555]

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Well its expected you know, living on the ring of fire and all the most active tectonic plate on the world.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
THATS CORRECT... AS YOU ALL KNOW THIS QUAKES ARE NOT GOING TO HALT.. INSTEAD THE WILL COME MORE OFTEN AND STRONGER.

THE END OF TIMES

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I lived in Japan for three years.
That place rocks from Earthquakes more than California does.
A 6.1 there is as common as the common cold.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The earthquakes are definitly not going to halt. And yes, there's definitly going to be more big ones. Its a fact. Its also completely normal. The earth is made up of disjointed plates that move in all sorts of ways against and with each other, there are allways going to be earthquakes because of that.

Infact, there are other ways to have earthquakes too, such as with 'isostatic rebound. Here is a slideshow of a university presentation on the conecpt also (please note, i haven't read the material in full).

Here is the website for the U.S. Geological Survey. Here is a page with lots of earthquake information. Here is a USGS page that focuses on recent earth quakes. There are allways lots. Infact, there are thousands of earthquakes a year. Here is a page that has maps of dozens of current earthquakes.

When there are no earthquakes, thats when you want to start worrying.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
The earthquakes are definitly not going to halt. And yes, there's definitly going to be more big ones. Its a fact. Its also completely normal.

That's what I like about ATS, the fact that it is not confined to the views of appocolyptic doomsayer fearmongering zealots! People are busy talking about how there are soooo many more earthquakes and natural disasters these days and that it is a sure sign of the "end times", etc, etc and it's nice to here someone say for once that things are not as bad as they might seem...

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
to put this in perspective.........

www.ceri.memphis.edu...

4. How Many Earthquakes Happen Each Year?

There are over a million quakes annually, including those too small to be felt. The following table shows the average frequency of different magnitudes.

Description Magnitude Frequency per year
Great 8.0+ 1
Major 7.0-7.9 18
Large (destructive) 6.0-6.9 120
Moderate (damaging) 5.0-5.9 1,000
Minor (damage slight) 4.0-4.0 6,000
Generally felt 3.0-3.9 49,000
Potentially perceptible 2.0-2.9 300,000
Imperceptible less than 2.0 600,000+

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I think there's supposed to be a big volcanic eruption soon but no one knows where or exactly when.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
what, no Godzilla jokes?

I figured we'd have more posts blaming earthquakes on Man's utilization of atomic energy, playing with forces we don't understand...

Giant fire-breathing lizards are cool!

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Ranma, why do you think that there is supposed to be an eruption? Any geologists aren't going to say that there is going to be an eruption unless they are monitoring a particular volcano.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Well, there was today another earthquake off the west coast of indonesia. The quake was measured at 6.8 magnitude. i don't think the world is going to end, but this is going to continue, and it will become worse.

About the volcano erupting. i think the other member is mentioning the newest prediction of Major Ed Dames, i could be wrong thou.

According to Major Dames by November or December this year, there is going to be a volcanic eruption of Mt. Tarawera, in New Zealand's north Island.

That area is very unstable, i am not certain about Ed Dames' prediction, althou he has predicted quite a few things that have come true, including the latest great earthquake in SE Asia.

[edit on 11-4-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
Well, there was today another earthquake off the west coast of indonesia. The quake was measured at 6.8 magnitude. i don't think the world is going to end, but this is going to continue, and it will become worse.

About the volcano erupting. i think the other member is mentioning the newest prediction of Major Ed Dames, i could be wrong thou.

According to Major Dames by November or December this year, there is going to be a volcanic eruption of Mt. Tarawera, in New Zealand's north Island.

That area is very unstable, i am not certain about Ed Dames' prediction, althou he has predicted quite a few things that have come true, including the latest great earthquake in SE Asia.

[edit on 11-4-2005 by Muaddib]

Large (destructive) 6.0-6.9 120

the average is 10 per month at that scale. no worries mate !

new topics

top topics

join