It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everything is consciousness.

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2023 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

The French cul de sac was originally an anatomical term meaning "vessel or tube with only one opening." It literally means "bottom of a sack," from the Latin culus, "bottom."
www.vocabulary.com... › cul d...
Cul de sac - Definition, Meaning & Synonyms - Vocabulary.com

posted on Aug, 14 2023 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain
a reply to: quintessentone

Thanks for the koan

Who said that reality exists because we make it exist?

Your theopendoorway post's theory, as I individually interpreted it, got me on the path to thinking that the words that are formulated or chosen in our mind to attempt to describe said conscious thought, could be looked at as formulating/choosing the essence of a certain thought of reality then making it exist outside of the mind/consciousness to others; therefore bringing forth it as a reality or transcendental experience or truth to others (collective consciousness).

I suppose what I am trying to get at is termed by Kant as transcendental apperception as using words as another way or means to organize conscious thought into meaningful reality.

www.collinsdictionary.com...#:~:text=transcendental%20unity%20of%20apperception%20in,of%2 0individual%20objects%20of%20perception

I hope that is not too convoluted in meaning, but as mentioned in your theopendoorway post, words are useless in explaining these concepts, so I must be doing it right.

posted on Aug, 14 2023 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Words need to stop......so non conceptual reality can be unveiled.

Koans make the mind pause.......and a glimpse may occur.

posted on Aug, 14 2023 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

The no self means the five skandhas in investigating no there isn't one as the absolute... What some people call union with the god-head however there is a relative self that expresses through it or else all experience would end in nirodha where no the self is actually experienced... It can be said there is an experience but no self experiencing and vice versa simultaneously or what Ch'an/Zen masters have refereed to as smasara is no different than nirvana or as the Koan puts it another way: Emptiness is form; Form none other than emptiness.

Is this what you mean?

posted on Aug, 14 2023 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Words need to stop......so non conceptual reality can be unveiled.

Koans make the mind pause.......and a glimpse may occur.

Replace koans with words, it's the same process...making meaning of consciousness in our minds.

posted on Aug, 14 2023 @ 09:20 AM
link   

It's not the koan or the words.......

It's the stopping of the incessant chatter and seeking.

edit on 14-8-2023 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2023 @ 09:22 AM
link   

It's not the koan or the words.......

It's the stopping.

The stopping will occur soon enough why rush it?

posted on Aug, 14 2023 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Sorry, I edited...

posted on Aug, 14 2023 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Sorry, I edited...

I suppose it depends on how one's mind functions, I too have incessant chatter and seeking but can stop it and go into that darkness through meditation, but that is not my true state of being. So why go against one's grain?

posted on Aug, 14 2023 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Crowfoot

If there is no (separate) self......how can it be experienced?

posted on Aug, 14 2023 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Thanks for the koan

Who said that reality exists because we make it exist?

Well said however; Have you experienced your kamma going backwards as in the effects reversing? Even an echo of a sound one made a few days to a few weeks previous and recognizing you were the source of it? Even though in the absolute sense it would have been contact of the two objects as the source... But as kamma when the sound returns "you" get hit as there was intent that produced the contact making the sound? What's funnier is in that moment you're both objects in contact perceiving a sound.

Observing the precepts lessens the pain of all of that but on the bright-side it is also a gauge of how fast or slow your kamma is resolving.

There are somethings however; That have a no arising with that above as is cause; Which is what really should be looked into as they are cause for one to keep re-incarnating. Some stop there and call that "Mara" as there is no way you can resolve the kamma not one's own. Which is what makes the seventh consciousness or thought infinite; Until one brings it to an end for oneself fear is the only clinging attachment that there is nothing beyond it... Those that cannot bring them to an end have likely misapprehended their source... when their source shows up is an interesting phenomenon as it is like someone chasing their own echo across a canyon.

At such a point it is beyond learning so there isn't really any wisdom there in chasing someone else's thoughts; As it just gets in their way even worse to assume they are yours or even thoughts as all of that arises from contact... Which is also infinite and only the experience of all pervasive space gives one a break from it.

Finger pointing at the moon is the old saying for continually pointing at the no self as cause... which isn't true the attachment to the skandhas as a self however is.

The jaktas are tales of going through past lives... Incarnating in the current form as relative experience; Means all of that karma whether good or bad was already exhausted in heavens or hells and is sorta pointless to say I know in some past life youre guilty of such and such... which some so called formless demons like to torture people with.

However all I saw in looking at all of mine was the eating, sleeping, and removal of waste was the equanimity factor or bhramavihara where no matter the life form those activities took place however 'sleep' & 'death' in some of them indeterminate as too which as a consciousness goes... Such a thing gives rise to the idea of oneness or where all sea/ocean life has no idea of ocean as a separate thing until hooked or netted out of it.

Anyhoo tired of boring all of you :p

posted on Aug, 14 2023 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Just notice that the thoughts (the chatter) are talking about what isn't.

It's easy to see what is really happening........and impossible to know what will occur tomorrow or even in 5 minutes time.

Stay with what is actual........sound, sensation, fragrance, the view.....life is appearing here and now.....no words are required.

posted on Aug, 14 2023 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Crowfoot

At such a point it is beyond learning so there isn't really any wisdom there in chasing someone else's thoughts; As it just gets in their way even worse to assume they are yours or even thoughts as all of that arises from contact... Which is also infinite and only the experience of all pervasive space gives one a break from it

But isn't that what we are all doing with this topic of consciousness, using others thoughts then those thoughts becoming our own beliefs?

Anyway, you are far from boring.
edit on q00000043831America/Chicago3131America/Chicago8 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2023 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Some of my chatter is talking about what could be, what I can manifest to be reality in the future; then action, then another reality of matter and energy. Then that particular chatter stops, then another begins again.

posted on Aug, 14 2023 @ 09:48 AM
link   

What could be??

Surely you know that everything is just as it is right now.

Thought is always talking about what isn't.

posted on Aug, 14 2023 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Of course, but thought is also about what could be manifest through action.

posted on Aug, 14 2023 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Thought does make plans.

posted on Aug, 14 2023 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Consider again what you posted with a link and what was said about consciousness being a skandha... is it scary that seven senses seven consciousnesses meaning 35 skandhas occurring all at once in the seven of them?

Each sense organ and it's skandhas have to be defeated just doing it for the eye doesn't do anything for the other 5 senses, it makes a pure land in that one sense but that's about it until the other five are handled in a similar manner...

The eye is difficult but the nose is what will drag you into the lower realms of animals and cannibals... So ordering which one to pure land first is important to consider.

I'd been working on the eye as last and one tip is not looking at the 3rd eye spot just put awareness there between the eyebrows if you use both eyes to look there as attention then it isn't going anywhere near non-attachment(equanimity) in any of the realms anytime soon.

edit to add the second part... if such a thing cannot be directly experienced then there isn't much point in talking about it. Such a thing falls under idle chatter or talking just to talk. Changing a belief ha no belief is weird as it is like the god thing mentioned earlier that sort of knowing cant be shared. Pointing at what is helpful however from all of that which is a relative and can be directly experienced with practice is worth sharing.

The kamma thing likely helps of contact being the source... here's whats weird in listening. Why is the sound of people moving around always in the language you speak? Some mediators expatriate because such a thing is driving them insane and can't stand it anymore as that's all they hear but some other country it's jibber jabber until of course they learn it or get over crowded with other ex patriots.

Vowing personal silence unless necessary shined a light on contact being the cause and the sense base skandhas trying to translate all contact into a language as thats the root of language to begin with like who is dragging that mind and then ear there to hear it :p.

edit on 14-8-2023 by Crowfoot because: clarity

posted on Aug, 14 2023 @ 10:41 AM
link   
derp

couldnt link

mod please remove
edit on 14-8-2023 by Crowfoot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2023 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

I think it's peculiar that you admonish me not once but twice to "please read carefully" when you claim that I allegedly misconstrue your words, yet you fail to follow your own direction to "read carefully" because you obviously misconstrued the meaning my words when you erroneously assumed I believe consciousness is a study of classical physics.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join