It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snow White is now brown according to Hollywood

page: 40
<< 37  38  39    41 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: AlienBorg

"DWARF" is a no-no.

Dwarfism is the genetic condition.

Midget is derogatory.

In the USA most (not all) prefer Little People.

www.lpaonline.org...

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 04:10 PM
link   

I believe the preferred term is little people.

Not making a joke. I watched a lot of Little People Big World back in the day and they talked about what they felt was offensive and what was more appropriate.

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

Thats an incredibly sad watch that. Its super rare you can get anything like the witcher with the title roll cast to someone so totally into it and yet his talent just gets tossed away like this.

Kind of like how Judge Dredd was better served by Urban than Stallone really, because Urban was actually a fan and so understood that Dredd would never take his helmet off.

edit on 12pSat, 22 Jul 2023 16:19:12 -050020232023-07-22T16:19:12-05:00kAmerica/Chicago31000000k by SprocketUK because: typing like a crazy octopus

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer
a reply to: Annee

No he wasn't.

And I guess that's why he decided to leave when he felt they were no longer honoring or respecting the source material.

If interested:

He’s the hired actor.

But did you read what the creator of the show said.

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: Annee

The series is not cancelled.

Might as well be dead... Liam Hemsworth will take over... Once again this plays into some weird notion that you and others think people just do not care about their favorite characters and just changing them at will is totally fine with the fans...lol

If you created a show, would you be in charge or the actor?

Did you bother to read the creators viewpoint?

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

They tried to make it more like the games. Which is where most people know the characters from.

Cavill wanted to stay more true to the original source material.

The fact you're trying to co-opt Cavill as some kind of "anti-woke" warrior is hilarious considering he is one of the most progressive actors in Hollywood.
edit on 22-7-2023 by Threadbare because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

I have to go. Real life stuff.

Good talk...

Me too soon, got to golf with my sons, you know real-life stuff...lol

Respect 👍

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Not making a joke. I watched a lot of Little People Big World back in the day and they talked about what they felt was offensive and what was more appropriate.

Offensive? What does this word mean?
Who decides what the preferred term is?
Because it seems to me there are many new terms coming out of nowhere such as cis, cisgender, gender identity, bigotry, transphobia, you couldn't find in the vocabulary 10-15 years ago.

Btw most of the dwarf characters have been replaced by some strange gender queer forest creatures of different heights and races. Such a travesty and embarrassment for Disney.

I am sure they will do well just as they did in the last two releases that went badly due to the woke they decided to include so they could be 'inclusive'

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 04:38 PM
link   

"DWARF" is a no-no.

Midget is derogatory.

www.lpaonline.org...

For relevance to the film

(in folklore or fantasy literature) a member of a mythical race of short, stocky humanlike creatures who are generally skilled in mining and metalworking.

Nothing 'offensive'

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlienBorg

"DWARF" is a no-no.

Midget is derogatory.

www.lpaonline.org...

(in folklore or fantasy literature) a member of a mythical race of short, stocky humanlike creatures who are generally skilled in mining and metalworking.

Nothing 'offensive'

Probably what Dinklage is objecting to.

Dwarfs are individuals, like every one else, except their genetic condition affects the physical body.

Remember the dwarf who played a lawyer? We need more of that.

edit on 22-7-2023 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 04:48 PM
link   

"DWARF" is a no-no.

Midget is derogatory.

www.lpaonline.org...

Nothing 'offensive'

Probably what Drinklage is objecting to.

Dwarfs are individuals, like every one else, except their genetic condition affects the physical body.

What is a "Drinklage" even?

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kreeate

"DWARF" is a no-no.

Midget is derogatory.

www.lpaonline.org...

Nothing 'offensive'

Probably what Drinklage is objecting to.

What is a "Drinklage" even?

Dinklage

Peter Dinklage

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Offensive? What does this word mean?
Who decides what the preferred term is?
Because it seems to me there are many new terms coming out of nowhere such as cis, cisgender, gender identity, bigotry, transphobia, you couldn't find in the vocabulary 10-15 years ago.

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 05:36 PM
link   

I did. If you're referring to his toxicity on set.

And to that all I can say is I wasn't there so I can never know for certain. I do believe certain types of people exaggerate or make certain claims that are false. This may or may not be that.

And I get that he is the hired actor. In the video I linked it talks about how he pushed hard to get the role, as a loyal fan of the source material (books and games), and was hired on because of his knowledge and dedication to being loyal to the source material.

Something changed along the way though. Whether due to his alleged toxicity, or showrunners steering away from the original story, or a mixture of both, I couldn't say. I couldn't say that in the case of The Witcher, there is some woke agenda, or just genuine attempt to tell the story differently that just didn't hit home with the hardcore passionate fans.

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I'm just saying those with dwarfism rather be called little people as opposed to midgets or dwarves. I mean, they're just people, who are little. Who decides the preferred term? I guess it'd be the people who have dwarfism, feeling most other terms are hurtful. It's their community.

Not sure little people is the same as all the new terms you refer to though.

Little people certainly aren't trying to make it a felony if you call them anything else.

Strange gender fluid forest creatures, sounds sus.

I mean when you've been spending millions on these movies with no or little return, but keep doing the same woke things... that to me feels agenda driven. Willing to lose the money, to push an agenda.

edit on 7-22-2023 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 05:52 PM
link   

I did. If you're referring to his toxicity on set.

And to that all I can say is I wasn't there so I can never know for certain. I do believe certain types of people exaggerate or make certain claims that are false. This may or may not be that.

And I get that he is the hired actor. In the video I linked it talks about how he pushed hard to get the role, as a loyal fan of the source material (books and games), and was hired on because of his knowledge and dedication to being loyal to the source material.

Something changed along the way though. Whether due to his alleged toxicity, or showrunners steering away from the original story, or a mixture of both, I couldn't say. I couldn't say that in the case of The Witcher, there is some woke agenda, or just genuine attempt to tell the story differently that just didn't hit home with the hardcore passionate fans.

Only saying Creative Artistry (right or wrong) belongs to the creative director of the project.

Sometimes actor input is welcome, sometimes it’s not.

This creator did not agree with Cavill.

Gotta read both sides.

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Kreeate

It's Peter Dinklage summoning his inner Tyrion Lannister.

"Drinklage"

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Oh I agree and understand.

Just lamenting that it sucked for the fans, and for the actor who was perfect for the role he expected to be playing. Creative differences... not everyone's gonna like. I get it, it's fine.

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 06:03 PM
link   

a reply to: Kreeate

It's Peter Dinklage summoning his inner Tyrion Lannister.

"Drinklage"

Yeah, I got distracted and didn’t verify spelling.

Fixed it though.

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Oh I agree and understand.

Just lamenting that it sucked for the fans, and for the actor who was perfect for the role he expected to be playing. Creative differences... not everyone's gonna like. I get it, it's fine.

I’ve seen it go both ways — fail or be better.

I couldn’t really get into the Witcher, so I can’t really be specific.

new topics

top topics

<< 37  38  39    41 >>

join