It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court cites Nancy Pelosi in striking down Biden’s student loan plan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 02:58 PM
link   
We've all heard the weeping and gnashing of teeth over the recent scotus decision to nix Biden's student loan forgiveness plan, but what you may not have heard is the plot twist at the end of the story...

The high court ruled 6-3 to cancel Biden's plan to wipe away $400 billion in student debt. In the majority opinion, Chief Justice John Roberts cited a speech that Pelosi gave at a press conference in July 2021.

"As then-Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi explained: 'People think that the President of the United States has the power for debt forgiveness. He does not. He can postpone. He can delay. But he does not have that power. That has to be an act of Congress,'" Roberts wrote.

Oops. Nancy's words came back to bite Joe Biden in the hind parts. Maybe Joe should have listened.

Source
edit on 6/30/2023 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified
Funny how that went out the window when the Dems needed to buy some votes

But she was totally right: that's something that needs to be handled by Congress. The President simply does not have that authority.

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 03:12 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 04:03 PM
link   
No surprise here it was illegal, everyone said that.

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Can you imagine all the Liberal Arts graduates from completely woke colleges that were hinging their entire lives on getting money from this?

It was going to be their only income from their useless degrees.

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Great thread! Wait till everyone learns how many Covid deaths were caused by Nancy Pelosi.

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 04:50 PM
link   
What I found interesting about the reaction to this was that there was no thought that, "this is a good ruling on separation of powers". It was all whining about not getting their gibs. Please understand, the issue isn't about the gibs, but the way it was enacted.

Congress can offer up this kind of forgiveness. That is the path. Go out and get your congressman to support such a thing if you think it is good.

If you disagree with the ruling, think about what kinds of similar powers you would be ok with if it was orange man or whomever. This was a smart ruling that you will be thankful was ruled the way it was when the shoes are worn by someone else.

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Per the media it'll still be the GOP's fault.

Don't let silly things like on-record statements get in the way...

edit on 30-6-2023 by gb540 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Wow, I actually agree with Nanci Pelosi on one topic. The power to spend and forgive debt is part of the power of Congress and not the President. The President can propose items and twist arms in his party though if he is popular enough.

While talking about debt forgiveness, I have a whole lot of mortgage debt. Where’s my 10k off? I was also an essential worker during the pandemic, never got any 25k bonus pay congress once suggested. I was required to go to work during the entire pandemic except after visiting the hospital for personal reasons during pandemic. Work told me to work from home because of fear of being in the same building as many infected. Point of all this paragraph? I don’t believe it’s fair for government to pick winners and losers with tax payer money. If they wrote personal checks from their own check books it would be fair but not when the money comes from taxpayers who never got a free hand out to pay for college.

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Halfswede
What I found interesting about the reaction to this was that there was no thought that, "this is a good ruling on separation of powers". It was all whining about not getting their gibs. Please understand, the issue isn't about the gibs, but the way it was enacted.

Congress can offer up this kind of forgiveness. That is the path. Go out and get your congressman to support such a thing if you think it is good.

If you disagree with the ruling, think about what kinds of similar powers you would be ok with if it was orange man or whomever. This was a smart ruling that you will be thankful was ruled the way it was when the shoes are worn by someone else.

Lol, the gibs.
A saying first made popular by esteemed philosopher Gibs Medatt and his cousin Dindu Nuffins.

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: stevieray
In the other thread about this, the same old likely suspects are yipping and yapping that this is a crime against humanity by the right.
So surprising. And yes, if it was Trumps idea they would have been fighting against it from day 1.

edit on 30-6-2023 by stevieray because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 05:45 PM
link   
If Biden can forgive 400 Billion in debt, then the next President. could decide to spend 400 billion to build a wall all with an executive order. The power to spend resides with Congress. Congress has the power to pass and change laws. If enough people want everyone who makes less than 400k have 10k of debt relief for loans of different types, I would be ok at first except wondering if we would suddenly have 20% inflation robbing me of the value of my wages for years to come.

The other issue that we may discover in the future is that many students may not have the money to pay back student loans. I would be ok with some type of long term deferral of payments for someone who doesn’t have the ability to pay. Now if a student became a lawyer making over 100k a year, they can make payments in my opinion. I don’t believe it’s fair to ask taxpayers to pay for 10k of debt for a lawyer making over 100k a year.
edit on 30/6/23 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Back then, Pelosi was a republican.

Isn't that how the narrative goes?

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: orionthehunter
As I said in the other thread, the left doesn’t think any rules laws or standards should exist when they have power. A repub in power, the law and constitution are everything.
Like dissent and protest: a must-do against the right and GOP, but it’s terrorism and “gonna get everybody killed” if it’s against the dems and communists.

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

Can you imagine all the Liberal Arts graduates from completely woke colleges that were hinging their entire lives on getting money from this?

It was going to be their only income from their useless degrees.

The left is already working on a way to circumvent the judgement. SMH
edit on 6/30/2023 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Back then, Pelosi was a republican.

Isn't that how the narrative goes?

It wouldn't surprise me, even though she said this in July of 2021.

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 06:25 PM
link   

edit on 30-6-2023 by gb540 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: orionthehunter
If Biden can forgive 400 Billion in debt, then the next President. could decide to spend 400 billion to build a wall all with an executive order. The power to spend resides with Congress. Congress has the power to pass and change laws. If enough people want everyone who makes less than 400k have 10k of debt relief for loans of different types, I would be ok at first except wondering if we would suddenly have 20% inflation robbing me of the value of my wages for years to come.

The other issue that we may discover in the future is that many students may not have the money to pay back student loans. I would be ok with some type of long term deferral of payments for someone who doesn’t have the ability to pay. Now if a student became a lawyer making over 100k a year, they can make payments in my opinion. I don’t believe it’s fair to ask taxpayers to pay for 10k of debt for a lawyer making over 100k a year.

They have income based repayment plans. There are also programs that forgive debt if you work in non-profits, etc.

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Good decision, the scary thing to me is that it wasnt 9-0 there should have been no question on this, its simple even for a legally dense individual like me.

House handles money... debt is money house should make the decision not Mr. Pudding brain.

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 10:27 PM
link   
UPDATE 6.30.2023

Americans who are learning, and will learn, that Joe Biden intentionally lied about forgiving student loans, in order to get 2020 and 2022 votes for DemocRATS, are/will be mad as hell!

They're already mad at the old inept doofus for raising prices on so many necessary items.

Biden Thinks We're all Fools...ALL OF US: www.cnn.com...

-Worst President Ever!-

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join