It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gravitational wave discovery

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 12:17 PM
link   
A greater understanding of our cosmos is at hand...

"Gravitational wave discovery leads to greater understanding of the fabric of our universe."

"Albert Einstein theorized that as heavy objects move through space and time, they create ripple effects in the fabric of our universe. Now an international team of scientists have detected new evidence of that. Researchers found new signs of gravitational waves that are affected by huge movements such as the collision of black holes."

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Erno86

"Eddies in the space time continuum...."

"Is he"?

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2

"Eddies in the space time continuum...."

"Is he"?

Izzard?

Emo86...Thanks for posting. I love this kind of stuff.

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Ditto from me.

Great stuff!

(Hitchhiker's Guide, not Izzard!)

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

Nice ref.

I also enjoyed your zhillon from tharg ref the other day. So much so that I went to yt and watched a few NTNOCN clips. PC Savage and the comic messiah John Cleese sketches are particular favs. Some of their stuff is as good as python.

On topic: I thought gravitational waves were old news. I experience them every time the other half passes gas.

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: merkins

I'd forgotten those two!

Back to YT for me.

As for your latter point, my sympathies.

After a Phall curry I have been known to rip a hole in time and space that makes my cats leave the room.😳

But, on topic, this does seem to support Einstein.

Supermassive Black Hole will get another listen soon, too.

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 05:03 PM
link   
But how can we use this information to benefit humans?
Really, what might this lead to?

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

yeah i get around a bit

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 06:12 PM
link   
In the words of Morissey, what difference does it make?

posted on Jun, 30 2023 @ 06:38 PM
link   
To me at least this is old news as it was known since like 2015 as the LIGO peeps had discovered some waves from colliding black holes like 1.3 billion light years away.
Interesting fact is that they use 6000 cpu cores to do the data crunching.
Still another great discovery that further proves Einstein right and gets up one step closer to solving the theory of everything

www.youtube.com...
here's a great video on the subject that first pointed me to it.
.a reply to: Erno86

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
But how can we use this information to benefit humans?
Really, what might this lead to?

Well..."Gravitational Wave Astronomy" --- "Whereas light from distant stars may be blocked by interstellar dust, for example, gravitational waves will pass through essentially unimpeded. These two features allow gravitational waves to carry information about astronomical phenomena, including phenomena heretofore never observed by humans."

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 1-7-2023 by Erno86 because: deleted an added a few words

posted on Jul, 1 2023 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: ARM1986
In the words of Morissey, what difference does it make?

"Gravitational Propulsion" --- "Creating negative mass and enough of it to counter earths gravitational pull."

"Negative-mass plasma - One notable property of this plasma is the ability to absorb gravitational waves --- Could this lead to some kind of anti-gravity technology on plasma encased - nuts an bolts foo fighter?

Or...The best launcher for a starship: "The best launcher is a slingshot made of a tight pair supermassive black holes. This gravitational pinball machine can launch a dense object up to the speed of light."

"Anti-Gravity" --- en.wikipedia.org...

"Gravitational Propulsion" --- thedebrief.org...

"Antigravity - The secret space race"

edit on 1-7-2023 by Erno86 because: link work

edit on 1-7-2023 by Erno86 because: ditto

posted on Jul, 2 2023 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: coldisbest
To me at least this is old news as it was known since like 2015 as the LIGO peeps had discovered some waves from colliding black holes like 1.3 billion light years away.[/post]

I am one of those LIGO peeps.

You have to "teach" the detector to filter out...false negatives? and the images you have to decipher are like looking at lava lamps, is it a blip? a koi fish? scattered light? they are sexy. I wish I could post an image because wow.

posted on Jul, 2 2023 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

originally posted by: coldisbest
To me at least this is old news as it was known since like 2015 as the LIGO peeps had discovered some waves from colliding black holes like 1.3 billion light years away.[/post]

I am one of those LIGO peeps.

You have to "teach" the detector to filter out...false negatives? and the images you have to decipher are like looking at lava lamps, is it a blip? a koi fish? scattered light? they are sexy. I wish I could post an image because wow.

So maybe you can answer a question for me.

It's my (very limited) understanding the way we're identifying what these remote areas of space are is by figuring out what color different elements show up as.

How can we say, with any confidence, the something millions of light years away is a hydrogen planet based off the color we see in images?

If I put a color filter in front of a light, you don't the full spectrum of light, you only see the color not being blocked.

There's a whole lot of color filters that can fit between our instruments and whatever distant galaxy we're observing, and zero way for us to identify one of those color filters.

edit on 2-7-2023 by rounda because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2023 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Lazar was right.

posted on Jul, 2 2023 @ 01:43 PM
link   

"New era in gravitational wave astronomy"

"Unlike the individual wave events detected by LIGO, the GWB (gravitational wave background) is a persistent 'humming' signal resulting from countless unresolved sources. This discovery ushers in a new era of gravitational wave astronomy, where we can listen to the cosmic symphony and uncover the secrets of the universe."

source:

thedebrief.org...

posted on Jul, 2 2023 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2
a reply to: ColeYounger

Ditto from me.

Great stuff!

(Hitchhiker's Guide, not Izzard!)

I trust that you know where your towel is?

posted on Jul, 2 2023 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

Under my feet at the moment. Yikes!

posted on Jul, 3 2023 @ 01:05 PM
link   
It's amazing to think about the possibility of flying a starship to a massive black hole and use the BH's gravitational field to slingshot the starship up to near the speed of light, by using the method of gravitational propulsion.

posted on Jul, 3 2023 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Problem might be with inertia at that sort of speed in changing course, acceleration and braking all of which could turn occupants of said starship into strawberry jam.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join