It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afghanistan and public executions

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2023 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I think they might be on to something. They do their executions in public and even allow the victims relatives to participate. While this might seem cruel and maybe an unusual punishment for us United States citizens, I wonder if this was done in the US, how much crime would actually be cut down. Using public shame might work because we all are 95% consumed with how we are perceived by others. Just a thought though.

www.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 20 2023 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I do give a lot of credit to the public witch burnings of the 16th century with ending the plague of witches that occurred during that time period.

posted on Jun, 20 2023 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: CaliGirl69

Just what we need - MORE glorification of violence…..

Don’t you see, that’s what got us here in the first place.

Just pop on Turner Classic Movies and see exactly what I mean. It all changed right around 1970 in cinema and TV, and that was all we had back then. It was light and fluffy before then. It went dark right around 1970.

posted on Jun, 20 2023 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: KKLOCO

Just what we need - MORE glorification of violence…..

Don’t you see, that’s what got us here in the first place.

I like your theory.

Although that is also when we closed asylums and started letting crazy people live and work among us, which isn't working out.

If you saw a person snatching a baby out of a str
Just pop on Turner Classic Movies and see exactly what I mean. It all changed right around 1970 in cinema and TV, and that was all we had back then. It was light and fluffy before then. It went dark right around 1970.

That's also when we closed asylums and started letting crazy people live, work, breed, and raise families right out in the open.

If you saw someone grab a child off the street and you had the chance to stop them, would you wait for court months later to testify?
Or would you take action in the moment and intervene?

There was a time in the US that person would be hanged the next morning, in public.
Now they'd likely get away with the child. Maybe arrested down the road. Maybe imprisoned.
Where's the kid?
What happened to it in the mean time?

Who is the monster here, the criminal, or the system that helped to create it?

posted on Jun, 21 2023 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Public shame, where is it in America? Didn't someone famous molest his daughter? And no one gives a flying ... k these days. Too much semen in the water I guess.
edit on 0600000038342023-06-21T00:34:38-05:00343806am12 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2023 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: CaliGirl69

I think they might be on to something. They do their executions in public and even allow the victims relatives to participate. While this might seem cruel and maybe an unusual punishment for us United States citizens, I wonder if this was done in the US, how much crime would actually be cut down. Using public shame might work because we all are 95% consumed with how we are perceived by others. Just a thought though.

www.yahoo.com...

Mob justice has been around for 100s of years in the US, it's mostly a whole lot of mob and very little actual justice.

Remember getting rode out on a rail or getting tarred and feathered both of which were fairly common occurrences, but as always with these mob things we get a mobbish mentality, with a lot less justice. Tar and feathering disintegrate into lynchings, hangings, and castrations. Which some would describe as cruel and unusual punishment especially when some weren't exactly guilty at all.

posted on Jun, 21 2023 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Personally, I am not s supporter of capital punishment. But that's not the question.

Importing uncivilised practices like public executions, flogging and other dehumanising punishments from crap lands, would not make things better. In fact, it would be highly socially regressive.

posted on Jun, 21 2023 @ 01:52 AM
link   

None of that helps against crime. It's shown that punishment in no form whatsoever has any detriment on crime. In fact you could drop the death sentence and there'd be no rise in crime.
Education and equal opportunity are things that help most against crime.
But hey I was just waiting for the Republicans to endorse the Muslim way... I knew religious fanatics will find themselves on common Holly ground

posted on Jun, 21 2023 @ 01:54 AM
link   

I have always thought we should bring back the stocks and the pillory especially good for nipping crime in the bud. Not only very uncomfortable/painful to be in but there would be the public humiliation, being pelted by rotting fruit, mud, poo, cold water etc. On top of that you would not be let out to go to the loo so would soil yourself into the bargain. Stuck out in the cold and rain, maybe all night, maybe for several days. I don't think it would take long to change the path of a lot of budding criminals and would cost the tax payer only the wages of a guard, equipment used and perhaps a medic on standby. Very cheap and effective compared to prison.

posted on Jun, 21 2023 @ 01:56 AM
link   
When dad was a kid (about a hundred years ago) there was a guy who was trying to make a living by stealing prize cattle and bulls from the ranchers in Jack county Texas.

I guess he decided he would make a big raid and steal several cattle at one time. The ranchers got together and formed a Posse and went in pursuit of the guy and all the cattle he had stolen. Tracking was easy as he had stolen 20 head of cattle and so the Posse caught up to the stolen herd and the thief on the night of the 4th day. He was captured and the herd was returned to their owners.

There is a tree in Jack county on top of a small hill known as the hangman's tree. The thief was hanged on the morning of the 5th day and his body was left hanging for the birds, flies, and maggots to feed upon; so even in death at least he was worth something to life on earth.

The end result was cattle rustling (stealing) disappeared in Jack county and moved toward the ranches closer to Ft. Worth, Texas which had a more civilized (lawyers) approach to crime.

So take what you will from this true story. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a few peaches to make a peach cobbler that can feed and benefit the many.

posted on Jun, 21 2023 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
So take what you will from this true story. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a few peaches to make a peach cobbler that can feed and benefit the many.

No, whet your story proves is that if you catch a thief, the thieving stops. Killing him was just spite and the product of less enlightened times when life was cheap.

posted on Jun, 21 2023 @ 02:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: 727Sky

No, whet your story proves is that if you catch a thief, the thieving stops. Killing him was just spite and the product of less enlightened times when life was cheap.

well, don't know what to say
but as a previous business owner with 2 spray guns and about 2 grand in painting equipment in East LA, I would at least let them know, don't steal from my van.

posted on Jun, 21 2023 @ 03:12 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

In fact, it would be highly socially regressive.

That's putting it mildly.
Its like going back to The Middle Ages.
Maybe we should re-introduce The Ducking Stool or maybe even Witch Swimming?

People extolling the virtues of burning 'witches' at the stake?

The mind boggles.

posted on Jun, 21 2023 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

When you violated a persons rights you in effect waive your right to protection under the same law is what they used to justify the killing of criminals with before.

Crime was actually pretty low in the west since people knew the law and what happens if you crossed it.

posted on Jun, 21 2023 @ 04:35 AM
link   
We have a farmer here in the UK, just around the corner whete we live, his name is Tony Martin.
He got burgled. The police couldn't do anything.
He got burgled several more times and nobody gave a crap.
He then got his shotgun ready.
Burglars came again, he shot at them, one in the back as he was running scared. He died.
The burglaries stopped.

He caught them in the act, nobody cared about the victim. He stopped a crime wave.
I see nothing wrong with this.

That said, I totally disagree with importing and suddenly liking all those muslim practices. It's a very slippery slope, ending in religuous oppression. No thanks.

posted on Jun, 21 2023 @ 05:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
Public shame, where is it in America? Didn't someone famous molest his daughter? And no one gives a flying ... k these days. Too much semen in the water I guess.

Joe Biden did, and the only people in the world who don't know his name are himself and other dementia patients

posted on Jun, 21 2023 @ 06:48 AM
link   

"Using public shame might..."
No! No! No! The word shame is not allowed in American society as it is a form of supreme judgment. The person should not bear any blame themselves for how they have wronged the system. The system itself is obviously mal-formed to suit certain needs, groups, ideas, etc. For example, we can't blame Hunter or his papa for wrong-doing even if we have the clear evidence. How can we single out individuals that simply got careless and caught? Wouldn't the average person take a few million on the sly if they thought that they could get away with it?

So blaming isn't valid anymore. Sympathy is required for those getting caught perhaps. The FBI has it own standards these days. Blaming people is secondary to the job at hand. Unfortunately, blackmail and blackgifts are not so bad if looked at properly. Some this "business" today is simply made too public. It hurts up and down the ranks of society...and especially those in any form of government. So give out slaps on the wrists and then give them a pat on the back and a welcome back into non-judgmental society for having paid their dues and everything is peachy. Just you watch and see,,,,

posted on Jun, 21 2023 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Terpene

We are certainly seeing an increase in crime where we have established no punishment whatsoever, here in CA.

posted on Jun, 21 2023 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Let's take a look at how Afghanistan got to this point.

In the 80s, Russia invaded, and the US led West sent weapons and military "advisors." This made Afghanistan more trouble than it was worth to Russia so they left.

Less than two decades later the US led West invaded Afghanistan when their government wasn't towing the line. The Afghans fought the US invaders as best they could, and eventually the US left after installing what they believed would be a more pliable regime.

What we're seeing is the result of two and a half generations of war. The peaceful and brave were killed off, leaving a culture that grew up on fighting and a lack of empathy for those who wanted to build rather than destroy. The worst of humanity rose to the top. Justice is replaced with military tribunals and drumhead trials. Guilt is assumed and punishment is swift.

Look closely, Ukraine, this is your future. The countries you consider allies today will invade your country as soon as you stop following their orders.

posted on Jun, 21 2023 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666
We have a farmer here in the UK, just around the corner whete we live, his name is Tony Martin.
He got burgled. The police couldn't do anything.
He got burgled several more times and nobody gave a crap.
He then got his shotgun ready.
Burglars came again, he shot at them, one in the back as he was running scared. He died.
The burglaries stopped.

He caught them in the act, nobody cared about the victim. He stopped a crime wave.
I see nothing wrong with this.

Total legend to all of us law abiding citizens who have suffered the same as Mr Martin

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join