It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Short Story Contest format - theme idea.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Hello ATS Writing Community and Visitors.

Earlier on, Maxmars, myself and others notable members had a light-hearted discussion about the next Contest theme. This took place in the post-contest "green room" of the last contest:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm sworn to secrecy regarding the next contest theme, so instead of revealing real clues, I gave an example of a storyline that wouldn't fit the theme.

Well, the end result was that even the most absurd keywords stimulated creativity in a way I hadn't expected. In fact, I realised that many stories could be created from those few clues and still somehow fit the yet undisclosed theme.

So, I'm just spitballing an idea for an occasional short story contest that doesn't start with a theme, but rather a set of keywords. They could include a person, animal, object, particular setting - location or time wise, tagline, etc.

For the story to be eligible, it has to contain all the elements... the genre is up to the writer.

I'm not knocking the current format. I'm perfectly happy with how the contests are organised and theme-based. I wouldn't want that to end. This alternate format could be an occasional thing, like when we did the 100 word limit one, that attracted a lot of participants.

Maybe it would attract those that normally shy away because they think the theme is too specific, even if I don't recall a story being rejected for being off topic, no matter how distant, theme-wise. Having a blueprint or brief may make it easier for people to share their ideas, notwithstanding how oblique it is.

The downside is that we risk many stories being very similar... Would it get boring, especially for the readers, I don't know? What I do know is that the spectrum of the ATS Writing Community is massive. I'm more inclined to trust in their creativity to make the stories compelling, entertaining and diverse.

Finally, not having a defined theme would require a special acronym to add to each story title. My first thought was:
DIY/mm/yy = Do It Yourself/month/year

Ok, I'd be interested to know how many members, especially non-writers, would be more inclined to submit stories if they had a brief overview / clues / blueprint to get you started.

Thanks for reading and any feedback you'd like to afford us.

Cheers

edit on 17/5/2023 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

I kinda think of the Theme description as being the keywords anyway.
BUT, using "When Science Fails" as key words to include in a short story, well, I see the difference.

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: BeNotAfraid

Yes, the last contest locked the writer into a science theme. The words on their own give more scope.

Also, there would also be a few other mandatory words or criteria to build the story around.

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I remember ages ago we did one based on a series of pictures. it was fun weaving those into a narrative.

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Thanks for the information. I was wondering if anything like that had been tried.

Stories based on pictures sounds fun and probably even better than keywords.

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Hey, at least you realized you won.

And I kinda like that idea. You can try to loophole it and just make the theme "Keywords" like "KW2023". Then provide the keywords to use. Which can include a list of an animal, vegetable, and mineral. May not really change format much?

I really don't care, just give me a new contest theme. I only place when it's someone else's theme anyway.

edit on 17-5-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 03:44 PM
link   

The theme is always up to the Contest Winner.
So, if you want to do a Key Word Contest, that option is open.

It's good to have different format, we have had contest that limit words with varying success.
We've have no theme contests, and who know what else that was before my time with these contests.
And the traditional format....but why nor key words?

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK
I loved that one
it was easy at least for me, it was PIC2016

edit on 17-5-2023 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Just dont make us write without letters
I dont want to try and do my own version of A Void

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 03:50 PM
link   

edit on 5/17/23 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 05:53 PM
link   
What if…

There were differing contests on alternating months? That would mean new stories every month rather than every other.

Okay, maybe I’m just being greedy

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 06:03 PM
link   

AI

We need to do AI stories.

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Moon68

They already are every other month.
Greater frequency isn't doable, and could really be overkill.

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

ORLY??
So, are you saying this or is it your AI has taken over?

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

ORLY??
So, are you saying this or is it your AI has taken over?

Easy way to tell if it's an AI or myself.

An AI won't be stupid and say dorky things.

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 06:33 PM
link   

No worries

I'll be sure to make a note of that in your file

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

No worries

I'll be sure to make a note of that in your file

ProTip#14 AI's don't make fart jokes.

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

AI

We need to do AI stories.

We need to have AI write the stories... LOL

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

Yep, I like that title acronym.

I hear you, same here with doing better with surprise themes, rather than my own. In fact, I'm shooting myself in the foot because I don't usually have a story already lined up. The themes I've provided are only because they sound interesting or are based on some movie I recently watched or song I've heard.

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Cheers, I didn't know that. I thought the format and presentation had been established by you and Johnny and the winner just had to choose the theme.

It's good that there is some leeway and that there's been some experimenting in the past.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join