It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Short Story Contest format - theme idea.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

I think I would have enjoyed that, too. I create better with a visual stimulus. With words, I first struggle to picture a story in my mind and then write it down. Working directly from imagery would help me avoid the "lost in translation" quagmire I often struggle to get out of.

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

LOL, there's a big enough void between my ears... it would be advantageous for me if that were a theme of sorts.

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Moon68

I don't think I could handle more frequent contests... writing is painful and I need some recovery time... purge the grey matter.

Also, we would have to give DTOM and Johnny oxygen and energy drinks to keep up. I volunteered some artwork for the contest announcements when I noticed Johnny was away. It was nerve-wracking and I really appreciate how much effort Johnny puts into churning out his art, contest after contest. Also, keeping an eye on the calendar to hit the announcement deadlines was stressful... even more so having to do it every month.

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Encia22

AI

We need to do AI stories.

Over my dead body!
... Not a bad title for a theme.

Seriously, I enjoy some typos and piecing together a story that has some structural problems. AI would be too perfect and boring. The few AI generated stories already presented outside of the contests have been quite synthetic and predictable.

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe
a reply to: DBCowboy

No worries

I'll be sure to make a note of that in your file

Files? That's slow and cumbersome... You need to go digital! I can do a database for you and DB can hook it up to his AI for cross referencing and analysis. It could warn and ban people even before they even think of transgressing.

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

If that were to ever happen, I'd lay down my pen, retire to my little Photoshop oasis and just go back to drawing circles within circles until I go blind.

posted on May, 17 2023 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I like the idea of a more regimented format!! Unlike the stream of consciousness I usually resort to.

This sort of reminds me of the 48hr. film festival contests where your are given a line of dialog, a prop and a character to build your short film around or at least include all 3 elements in your film somehow.

48hourfilm.com...
edit on 17-5-2023 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 04:30 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Let's say that I would still want to see that stream of consciousness, except that it would be funneled in a certain direction. The idea of an initial brief shouldn't be stifling; on the contrary, it should still leave plenty of space for an individual take on which path to take. Maybe that's what I find most interesting: how diverse the stories would be, notwithstanding the starting point being the same for everyone.

I didn't know about that Film Festival Contest... thanks for the link.

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 04:48 AM
link   

I like this idea, having a structure to build around could really help the creative juices flow.

It would be fun to see the variation of how the stories go too.

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 05:12 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Thanks for your feedback, Ray.

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Hmmm. The more I've thought about this the differing feelings I have.

On one hand, by placing constraints or specific parameters to operate in, I feel that it could act as a damper to creativity.

On the other hand, I fell it could cause creativity to bloom in various directions, opening new avenues of thought.

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Encia22

AI

Over my dead body!

Seriously, I enjoy some typos and piecing together a story that has some structural problems. AI would be too perfect and boring. The few AI generated stories already presented outside of the contests have been quite synthetic and predictable.

Apologies.

What I mean is, we write stories about AI

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 08:51 AM
link   

AI

Over my dead body!

Apologies.

"I'm afraid I can't do that Dave"-Hal

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Moon68

Yes, I had the same misgivings, but it only took those few clues, absurd as they were, in our little discussion with Max for some ideas to flourish. I think a balance would have to be found between too many and too few.

My first thoughts are with the non-writers who may be lurking and are afraid of taking that first baby-step. Sometimes a supporting hand can be of great comfort. Seasoned participants probably won't be phased by anything that's thrown at them.

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 09:08 AM
link   

AI

Over my dead body!

Apologies.

I thought that's what you meant.

That's a great idea... open playing field for anything AI related, present, future or past - as in time travel; did AI predate mankind?

ETA: I don't know if you ever read my rebellious AI very short story (100 word limit).

H-A.R.R.I.'s Revenge

edit on 18/5/2023 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2023 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Moon68

AI

Over my dead body!

Apologies.

"I'm afraid I can't do that Dave"-Hal

Poke it in its bloody eye and see if it still argues...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join