It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People who say God doesn't exist.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2022 @ 05:59 AM
link   
In a way it's good for my kids to belive in Santa, easterbunny, the tooth fairy and what not.

What if growing up he starts to talk all entitled about it being a fact, and those that don't belive are basically wrong.

Can you imagine how that kid would have a hard time dealing with adults that know what constitutes a fact and that his beliefs are just that, his believes.

All good, but factual not so much.

posted on Aug, 19 2022 @ 06:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Terpene

It’s quite easy to disprove the existence of Father Christmas and the tooth fairy, lock your doors and wait for either a coin under your pillow for a lost tooth or presents by the fireplace at xmas. Neither occur without someone else doing them.

A god, well it is impossible to prove or disprove the existence. I can believe there is no god but i can’t prove it. There is a very real fear of death for most, there is not the same fear of not getting a coin for a lost tooth. We can’t get our heads around living this life then it just abruptly ending, believing in a god i am sure makes that a lot easier to deal with.

Speaking personally, I have no fear of death. I didn’t have an issue with the unfathomable period of time before I existed and so I doubt I will afterwards.

posted on Aug, 19 2022 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Tortuga

But I wasn’t making an attempt to manipulate you, just asked a question. I think if someone has an unspoken motive then they are trying to manipulate another person. I’ve seen this in myself when I was much younger and trying to engage in debates rather than have discussions/dialogues with others. I don’t think that’s an honest way to conduct an intra-personal interaction with anybody. I asked the question because of your statement above about people trying to “force” beliefs on you, that’s kinda perverted IMO.

posted on Aug, 19 2022 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical

Fortunately I am not the kind of person that can have beliefs forced upon me, so they were on a loser to start with. Which is why even though I do not believe there is a god, I wouldn’t force that belief on others. If it isn’t bothering me then why should it matter.

posted on Aug, 19 2022 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tortuga

Fortunately I am not the kind of person that can have beliefs forced upon me, so they were on a loser to start with. Which is why even though I do not believe there is a god, I wouldn’t force that belief on others. If it isn’t bothering me then why should it matter.

I don’t know, most likely doesn’t matter. I was just trying to get a little bit of clarity on the thing you said that I first replied to.

posted on Aug, 19 2022 @ 12:01 PM
link   

You can believe there is no god but you can't prove it because all you see is proof of God.

posted on Aug, 19 2022 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Untun

Oh here we go, I don’t want to prove anything to anyone. I have my opinion and I’m happy with that. If your opinion differs, good for you.

posted on Aug, 19 2022 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Sorry, I didn't want to disturb and annoy you. This is just an online forum. I have no idea who you are.

posted on Aug, 19 2022 @ 01:49 PM
link   

You haven’t.

posted on Aug, 25 2022 @ 10:44 PM
link   

I'm not sure I understand what you are ranting about. In my mind, not having a belief in God because there's no evidence for the existence God seems like a pretty powerful argument. As far as I can tell, God is just a word in our language. What the word means is kind of irrelevant since there is no evidence to qualify what the word means. As far as I can tell, God only exists in mind-space.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: AllSeeingEye2025

God means overlooking source of life and existence.

posted on Aug, 26 2022 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tortuga

How does that work in practice, forcing a belief on someone? What are we talking about here? Someone making an argument for a particular belief in a conversation with someone else who does not hold that belief? Is that 'forcing a belief on someone', the way you meant that?

Or are we talking something like the forced conversions to Roman Catholicism as for example happened in Croatia in WW II?

Does it mean that some of these orthodox priests that converted to Roman Catholicism for fear of torture or death, actually changed their beliefs? In other words, has the Roman Catholic Hierarchy in that case succeeded at forcing their beliefs on others? Is it actually possible to literally force one's own beliefs on someone else so that they end up having the same beliefs? Isn't that more a matter of someone else either being convinced or not by these beliefs and the related argumentation or reasoning?

Or are we talking about things such as indoctrination (closely related to the topic of propaganda)?

Fortunately I am not the kind of person that can have beliefs forced upon me...

If we're talking about being indoctrinated to believe something, you might not be as immune as you think you are, or perhaps have been indoctrinated to think/believe ("think" is a synonym for "believe") you are. Just a heads-up.
edit on 26-8-2022 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join