It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Clears Assange Extradition To US

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2022 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I think Assange aught to employ the lawyers who represented the thousands of illegal immigrants. They stopped all those immigrants from being deported to Rwanda. So Assange job should be a pushover.

posted on Jun, 17 2022 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

I was thinking the same thing.

posted on Jun, 17 2022 @ 12:18 PM
link   
A man was sat in prison, Accused of no crime. Every journalist on the planet should be appaled and terrified. Telling the truth has become a crime, punishable by spending the rest of your life in prison.

posted on Jun, 17 2022 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Shameful.

A relative had their extradition to US in the 90s for arming Sadam was denied even though they'd pled guilty in UK courts as it was an obvious stitch up and judge declared the US were incapable of holding a fair trial due to the high publicity/political wrongdoings/public opinion and the CIA had instigated the whole deal but were desperately trying to cover it up.

This has major implications for UK free press, whistleblowers, exposing crimes of governments/military, though Assange isn't 100% innocent - the redaction process wasn't perfect, there were juge failures in publishing names of Iraqi/Afgani interpreters and many were killed as a direct result of this failure/publishing of info.
edit on 17-6-2022 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2022 @ 12:25 PM
link   
The axis of evil at work...
Cheers

posted on Jun, 17 2022 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

not one but 2 governments

Governments don't exist for the sake of the people, it is merely a coincidence if it should ever appear that way.

Who exactly are the bad guys here?

Everybody, I think we're all complicit to some extent or another.

posted on Jun, 17 2022 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: jerich0

Assange isn't in Australia. He is Australian though, but your post seems to link the UK to AUS. ?

The point I'm making is that there was no comment about no extradition to the US. Sure, let him out of jail, but I'm sure ANAL still would see him flown to the US to face a kangaroo court.

posted on Jun, 17 2022 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Sco(tt) Mo(rrison) passed the reins to An(thony) Al(banese) and his tendency to truncate his given names.

Why I find this amusing mystifies me.

But it does nevertheless

a reply to: gortex

I see you, myselfaswell, enjoy the crack as well

edit on 17-6-2022 by Dalamax because: Acknowledge a poster

posted on Jun, 17 2022 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: vNex92
a reply to: myselfaswell

While the US claim they have Freedom and Democracy only if you obey their rules and dont expose their war crimes during the conflicts.

He is not an American so there's that. He will get a fair trial like an American. If he's innocent no worries. We have our problems, but the United States of America is still the greatest country 👍

posted on Jun, 17 2022 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I foresee an "Arkancide" in this poor, Brave man's future. They better be careful as they will turn him into a Martyr. If only someone had his back the way he had ours. A travesty of justice of the highest order.

#Assangedidnotkillhimself

posted on Jun, 17 2022 @ 04:45 PM
link   
😂🤣😂

a reply to: vance

posted on Jun, 17 2022 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Hope he has a dead man switch

posted on Jun, 17 2022 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: 10uoutlaw

Pretty sure that would have been utilised by now if there was one

posted on Jun, 17 2022 @ 09:23 PM
link   
two #ing pages??????

posted on Jun, 17 2022 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Absolutely disgusting, but it is all disgusting now.

posted on Jun, 18 2022 @ 08:10 AM
link   

I guess he will get "Epsteined" in a couple of months...

posted on Jun, 18 2022 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: 10uoutlaw

He supposedly had, the famous (at the time) 88GB, encrypted "insurance file" that was published years ago.

posted on Jun, 18 2022 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Substracto

The strange thing is that I saw today Assange's wife saying that he may kill himself if he is sent to the US.

Link

posted on Jun, 18 2022 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArMaP
a reply to: Substracto

The strange thing is that I saw today Assange's wife saying that he may kill himself if he is sent to the US.

Link

A Judge ruled that Assange couldn't be extradited last year due to his mental health , his legal team presented evidence that he would be a risk to himself if extradited and given the US's record on people committing suicide while awaiting trial his extradition would amount to a death sentence , something Priti Patel seems unconcerned about ... unsurprisingly.

posted on Jun, 19 2022 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

That is entirely possible. The agreements we have with countries like Australia would see Assange tried / convicted / sentenced in the US, but there are provisions for a foreign national to be sent to their home country to serve out the sentence (it depends on the country and bilateral agreements so any foreigner cant just go back to his/her own country)

iirc the person would end up forfeiting his ability to appeal the conviction in the US. The agreements also would see him serve the time and not be released / sentence changed by his Government early.

I think it is one of those issues where the charges are examined to see if the crime is something that can be a jail term in their home country. I also believe both countries must accept it. On the other hand the US may not consider that as an option.

ETA - found it

Guidelines for the Evaluation of Transfer Requests Submitted by Foreign Nationals

These guidelines explain the criteria used by the Department of Justice (Department) to evaluate a request by a foreign national prisoner to transfer to his home country to serve a sentence imposed in the United States.

The Department considers and weighs many factors to determine whether to approve the transfer request of a prisoner. The primary objective of the international prisoner transfer program is to facilitate the rehabilitation of the prisoner so that he may be a productive member of society in his home country upon release from incarceration. The prisoner transfer program is premised on the universal understanding that a prisoner has the best chance of being successfully rehabilitated and reintegrated into a society where a support system exists to assist the prisoner’s adjustment to life after incarceration. Although rehabilitative interests weigh significantly in the transfer determination, law enforcement interests, humanitarian concerns, international cooperation, and specific treaty requirements are also relevant and are carefully evaluated.

The Department evaluates two categories of foreign national prisoner transfer applications. The first consists of foreign national prisoners who have been convicted and sentenced in federal courts and are serving their sentences in the custody of the Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP). The second category consists of foreign national prisoners who have been convicted in a state court, and are serving their sentences in state prisons. In these cases, the sentencing state must first consent to the transfer before the Department can consider the application. Transfer cannot occur for state or federal prisoners unless the Department, the prisoner, and the receiving country consent. Transfer requests from state prisoners are addressed separately, in Section IV

click link for more in depth information.

1 last comment. Assange / his laywers and others have tried the Assange is a journalist angle. Assange helped Manning bypass US censoring programs used in war zones. When a person, who is or claims to be a journalist, loses that protection if they actively take part in the crime. I believe that is the case for Assange. The other issue is Assange was not in the US when the crimes were committed, so some constitutional provisions / protections may not apply.
edit on 19-6-2022 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join