It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sri Lanka Is Collapsing

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on May, 16 2022 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Sri Lanka went woke. Now it's broke.

They literally do not have gas in their country, and the Finance Minister is finding it hard to raise any money to import more.

The Indian Ocean island nation’s government committed the country to 100% organic farming in 2021.

Can you guess what happened in between banning agrochemicals and 200 rioting Sri Lankans being shot dead in the streets by security forces?

This:

Within six months of the ban, rice production in the country—a once very sufficient industry—dropped 20 percent, forcing Sri Lanka to import $450 million of rice to meet supply needs and surging rice prices rose nearly 50 percent.

Now, Sri Lanka will pay farmers across the country 40,000 million rupees ($200 million) to compensate for their barren harvests and crop failures. In addition to the funding, the Sri Lankan government will pay $149 million in price subsidies to rice farmers impacted by the loss.

Formerly self-sufficient, taxpaying farmers were forced on the government dole — by the government.

Sri Lankans are literally rioting in the streets and throwing politicians cars into rivers. Their economy has been destroyed by going green. An agricultural demand to go all organic has forced farmers on the government dole and destroyed their production ability.

And since Sri Lanka is an agricultural nation and exporter ... things are bad now. They have nothing to trade and no income and no revenue.

That’s why Wickremesinghe said that “Although the former government’s budget projected revenue of SLR 2.3 trillion, SLR 1.6 trillion is the realistic projection of this year’s revenue.”

Other people’s money always seems to run out, doesn’t it?

The country must import everything from gasoline to medicine, but President Gotabaya Rajapaksa’s all-organic plan wiped out the country’s tax revenues and the foreign currency reserves it needs to buy all those imports.

They are out of everything and have no money to buy anything with.

This may be a preview of where we are headed.

+2 more 
posted on May, 16 2022 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

A small domino, but a domino nonetheless.

This controlled govt demolition project is the 2nd one ive watched in my lifetime.

posted on May, 16 2022 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Sounds like it’s time for the feral dog and cat population to be culled because food.

+11 more 
posted on May, 16 2022 @ 09:36 PM
link   

That could never happen here. Because... uh... because... well... stuff. And reasons!

Besides, you're just a right-winger trying to rain on our parade.

(Been practicing my "woke speak"... did i do it right?)

TheRedneck

posted on May, 16 2022 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I imagine you having a southern drawl.

So woke speak in conjunction would be pure comedy to my northern ears!
edit on 16-5-2022 by JinMI because: Spellink

posted on May, 16 2022 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Well, I have been told I make Jed Clampett sound like a Yankee. When i was driving a truck, I could not go to New York City without someone buying me lunch just to hear me talk. Happened at least a dozen times.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 16 2022 @ 09:43 PM
link   
They need a bailout from China, maybe sign over all their ports to China.

posted on May, 16 2022 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

That could never happen here. Because... uh... because... well... stuff. And reasons!

TheRedneck

Close. It is not raining or it is raining more, depending on who says so, because of "climate change" and gasoline is too expensive for the parade.

You could have a march if you want to. But then you will have to avoid all the recent storms or droughts.

Am I being confusing enough? Just like you said "woke speak" practice.

It seems 'go woke go broke' is changing to 'go all green and starve'. The new rhyme needs some work.

edit on 5 16 2022 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2022 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

It seems 'go woke go broke' is changing to 'go all green and starve'. The new rhyme needs some work.

No, it's all OK. "Starve" self-identified as rhyming with "green." Also, I heard Sri Lanka defined "Go woke, go broke" as hate speech and domestic terrorism.

Once they outlaw poverty, everyone will be able to pay taxes again. So this shouldn't last long.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 16 2022 @ 10:00 PM
link   

During the second world war, certain countries, changed the cars to run on wood gas, screaming and tearing your hair out just causes more problems, whatever happened to just adapting.

posted on May, 16 2022 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Imagine what folks are gonna do when they realize that money given as compensation for the rice failures is just another temporary fix and you can't print your way into prosperity long term.

Eventually the illusion of its value becomes exposed and they may just wake up enough to realize realize it's just been a long con all along.

posted on May, 16 2022 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity

During the second world war, certain countries, changed the cars to run on wood gas, screaming and tearing your hair out just causes more problems, whatever happened to just adapting.

Yeah, cutting down all the trees on an island is always the best long term play.

After they got screwed by organic farming they were left with no choice but to deforest the whole island, what else could they do?

In all honesty this is as close to a situation that merits a little alarm as any non-war thing going on if you're experiencing it. These people haven't forgotten what actual hunger looks like. It should scare them and without help they're in for tough times. If it manages to impact another growing season I can't imagine there will be a country as it exists today, whoever bails them out will want their agenda met.

Maybe China under Belts and Roads. I'm not sure what their current alignment is.

posted on May, 16 2022 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Sometimes it is better to fertilize crops with fertilizer from rock than to use natural fertilizers from pee and poop. Sometimes there are less bad chemicals in food if certain pesticides are used vs the plant creating plant defense system chemicals that we cannot tolerate well to protect themselves.

Organic is not always better, but in lots of crops it is. If you put cow pee on potatoes...high in nitrogen, the potatoes sometimes turn black during storage inside....it sucks when you have to cut a lot of the potato away, I use 6/24/24 fertilizer on potatoes but choose a more natural more rock based product. I do keep a little nitrogen fertilizer (Urate crystals) to occasionally boost the nitrogen in the soil if needed but usually I just need that combo. 12/24/24 is good too, but I could not get that this year because the place I get my fertilizer from did not have it in stock at this time and did not know if they could get it in time.

Too much nitrogen in fertilizer is not good for the environment, natural or not. Although, my pine trees sure like the pure nitrogen fertilizer, their needles get so soft and the branches that fall off the tree do not burst into flames if they have enough nitrogen. Evidently birds pooping on the trees after eating lots of bugs helps to prevent forest fires.

edit on 16-5-2022 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Won't Biden be sending them millions by morning, and the rest of our dwindling grain stores?

Biden continued to send baby formula to the southern border until our shelves were bare- now he's talking of importing formula from other countries, like China and MEXICO.

I don't think he got the memo that we haven't been the world's bread basket for a lot of years now.

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Imagine the public unites to troll the insanity and going super nova woke and declare 'being rich is racist' and anybody sitting pretty in their luxury while telling the poor folk 'we' will get through this gets harassed 24/7 by the public.

The multi-millionaire talking heads in msm would explode.

The narrative would be open sourced.

To what lengths would TPTB go to remain in power and be kept relevant through force?
edit on 17-5-2022 by 19Bones79 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 03:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

TheRedneck

Yeah that was pretty good woke speak actually. But you forgot to blame Trump. Donald Trump caused this to happen in Sri Lanka. He, and he alone. He is very bad. And orange. And bad.

But seriously, this looks awful. I was not aware, at all. But i am now, due to ATS. Our media here says nothing about this, and this looks like a total disaster, causing lots of suffering

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 03:37 AM
link   

It appears the regime changes in Sri Lanka hasn't gone well either there.
Wasn't there a regime change a while back in Sri Lanka?
edit on 17-5-2022 by vNex92 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 03:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: vNex92

I dunno. Googled "Sri Lanka regime change" And looks like they are really demanding a regime change right now. I support their demands, this sucks.

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 03:44 AM
link   
This is what’s going on right now with energy and electric cars in the US. We are going to be at a standstill soon…and we’ll just get excuse after excuse how it was someone else’s fault.

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: MapOfNowhere

originally posted by: vNex92

I dunno. Googled "Sri Lanka regime change" And looks like they are really demanding a regime change right now. I support their demands, this sucks.
i think the prez took off last week or so. he resigned monday.

the wife says they have 1 day of gas left.

yeah they are al kinds of short.

app.thestandard.com.hk...

she found a link.

He’s back: Wickremesinghe named Sri Lankan PM for 6th time amid crises
[/quote

www.cnn.com...

posting is quirky.
edit on 03/22/2022 by sarahvital because: (no reason given)

edit on 03/22/2022 by sarahvital because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3 >>

join