It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

stigma of dislexic people

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 05:53 AM
link   
i was just wondering why everybody thinks that dislexic people are disadvantaged i mean they use a more visual aproach to memorizing things and hink visually and often think visually uncontrolably i dont know if this is true but it an lead to a higher iq and a lot of people like einstein was dislexic so cant we learn anything from this rather than labeling it a disability?

i mean yes there are some draw backs with having it but i think people see it too much as a disability

so what do you guys think?

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   

i mean they use a more visual aproach to memorizing things and hink visually and often think visually uncontrolably

By thinking visually what do you mean? Sorry, I haven't had much sleep these days so I dont understand what you mean by this...can you give an example?

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I think it's a toss up. I go to an engineering school, and I have never met so many dyslexic people in one place. I tutor English as work study, and a good percent of my tutorees are dyslexic. On the flip side, they have AMAZING math skills. So I guess it's not horribly bad, but I can understand it making life hard.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Hi everyone, I'm dyslexic & I don't consider it really to be a disability. It's true that dyslexic people have high IQ's, I found out recently that I'm in the top 20% in the country (England) for IQ, but I don't really think having a high IQ makes much of a difference anyway really.

I think it's only considered a disability because of the set structure of learning, etc. In schools and such, there is only really one set in stone way to learn, and this 'standard' way of learning is what makes it more difficult for dyslexic people to understand, because dyslexic people think and process information in a different way to 'average' people, that is why sometimes dyslexia is linked with behavioral problems especially in young people because they have trouble understanding the supposed normal methods & then they get frustrated 'cause they can't do it and then that leads them to get angry.

The 'normal' learning methods just do not work for us, therefore it is considered that you have a problem because you have difficulty learning in the 'normal' way. I don't think that's right, everyone is different & everyone should be able to learn in their own way, not some sort of set, regimental, this is the way you are supposed to learn & you will learn this way because the majority can, and if you can't learn using these 'proper' methods then you are stupid, type of thing. There are many ways to learn and do things.

Yes, dyslexic people do tend to be very visual in their train of thought. Alot of dyslexic people are very creative and artistic, for example, I am quite good at drawing at one point (when I was much younger) I was one of the best artists in the whole school. Now I like to write lyrics & do music, I like to mess around with my camera, photos, videos & stuff like that, I have qualifications in media studies. Sometimes I just like to sit and look at beautiful places, scenery etc. I went to america last year for the first time ever, we took a trip through arizonia to the grand canyon and that just blew me away, it's one of the best expericences of my life, it was one of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen. Even the bus trip there and back was great, just looking out the widow at the landscape. So that's why dyslexics are quite visual, because they're creative and artistic.

By the way I'm terrible at maths!!! lol.

Anyways I hope that made sense, I have slight problems with writing...damn dyslexia!!! lol.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
thanks for the last post im also dislexic and i found that in school i was never helped with maths at all and ive never really been good with it
i could never memorize it i find myself being very clumsey and i forget conversations easily i dont have a high IQ the last time i got it checked was 114 but i mean its not everything does'nt really bother me im just on the train of thought that more research should be done into the advantages as well

and another note to the last post im also very creative i constantle doodle and im curranly studing web design which also means programming

any other dislexic people out there programing?

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
So what you are saying is people who draw well or are artistically inclinded might have dyslexia or that people with dyslexia are usually artistic?

I am not dyslexic but I am dyscalculic (www.dyscalculia.org...). Which is difficult to live with I am sure as much as a person with dyslexia.

I sketch alot and I write some I consider them my strong points and my dyscalculia a weakness not a disablity.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I honestly think that having dyslexia is a gift, a good gift. It sets you slightly apart from the 'normal' or 'average' people who don't have dyslexia, in a good way. Just think, you can see things in a different light to other people, you can see the beauty in things that others just don't see (if you're the artistic type), you have a creative mind that makes you interesting, and gives ideas of genius proportions!

Yeah, with the more creative minded/artistic minded people there is a chance they may have dyslexia, I think it's like part of the condition or something, but obviously everyone is different & so dyslexia varies slightly from person to person. But just look at the list of famous/well known people with dyslexia, a majority of them are some of the most creative/ artistic thinkers ever in the history of the world!!!

I think it's a great thing to have! I'm actually happy about it. My dad read a list of famous people with dyslexia, Einstein, Tom Cruise, and he said that he wished he was dyslexic, lol.

It truely is a blessing in my opinion.

Dyscalculia does seem to be quite similar to dyslexia, so you could probably relate to some things.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   
There must be some sort of advantage to being Dyslexic. Richard Branson is reportedly worth some 4 billion dollars and he is Dyslexic. He started out in life poor. He dropped out of school at an early age and stated virgin records.

[edit on 31-3-2005 by cryptorsa1001]

top topics

join