It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple Pie Recipe From 1685 - Old Cookbook Show - Glen And Friends Cooking

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2022 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I stumbled upon this video for apple pie using a recipe from 1685. I'm going to try baking one of these, but I am mainly posting because I was not aware that a potato, tomato, banana or pineapple was considered an apple back then. I thought that made this interesting enough to make a thread.

The cookbook that this is from is called "The Accomplished Cook or the Art & Mystery of Cookery".

I found the cookbook online and below is the description and a link to the online library that has it. It is probably better to follow the youtube video if you are also interested in trying the apple pie recipe. Aside from being in old English, the cookbook is written for master chefs and does not give what most would consider a recipe.

The Accomplished Cook or the Art & Mystery of Cookery

Wherein the whole art is revealed in a more easie and perfect method, than hath been publisht in any language. Expert and ready wayes for the dressing of all sorts of flesh, fowl, and fish, with variety of sauces proper for each of them; and how to raise all manner of pastes; the best directions for all sorts of kickshaws; also the tearms of carving and sewing. An exact account of all dishes for all seasons of the year, with other a la mode curiosities. The third edition, with large additions throughout the whole work; besides two hundred figures of several forms for all manner of bake't meats, (either flesh or fish) as pyes, tarts, custards, cheesecakes, and florentines, placed in tables, and directed to the pages they appertain to. Approved by the fifty five years experience and industry of Robert May, in his attendance on several persons of great honour

edit on 13 2 2022 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2022 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: tamusan

Receipe from 1381.

The First Apple Pie Recipe Was Printed In England In 1381

southfloridareporter.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2022 @ 05:01 PM
link   

In French potato is called Pomme de la terre or
Apple of the earth, or ground apple.

posted on Feb, 13 2022 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Cool, thanks sharing. It was an interesting. The video in my OP mentions some earlier recipes, but they didn't think they were as good as the one in the video.

posted on Feb, 13 2022 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

That shows how dense I can be about some things. I took some French classes in junior high and high school, but still never made the connection until the video pointed it out.
edit on 13 2 2022 by tamusan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2022 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

In French potato is called Pomme de la terre or
Apple of the earth, or ground apple.

I adore little lovely factoids of that nature!

Thank you for sharing that!

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Feb, 13 2022 @ 10:26 PM
link   
24 egg yolks in a pie? Yuck!

posted on Feb, 13 2022 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

It's just the yolks. I love egg yolks so I might like it. But my doctor won't when he gets my next labs

new topics

top topics

join