It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court to Take Up Harvard, UNC Affirmative Action Cases

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2022 @ 09:06 AM
link   

The Supreme Court on Monday agreed to take up a pair of lawsuits challenging race-conscious admissions processes at Harvard and the University of North Carolina, setting the stage for a high-stakes decision that could determine the future of affirmative action in higher education.

The lawsuit, both brought by the anti-affirmative action group Students for Fair Admissions, charge that Harvard College and UNC discriminate against Asian American applicants and violate civil rights law by considering race in their admissions processes. Lower courts have ruled in favor of both schools, which deny the allegations.

The suit will be the first major affirmative action case to come before the court’s recently-expanded 6-3 conservative majority.

Supreme Court to Take Up Harvard, UNC Affirmative Action Cases

Could we be seeing the restoration of sanity to the academic world, at least in one narrow aspect of its culture (i.e. elimination of ratioed race-base admissions)?

I am reading various different descriptions of the case, that it's been deferred, but the presumption is that the SCOTUS will, at some point, take up this case.

In a setting (education) that should be the pinnacle of meritocratic evaluation of its membership, this would undo years of affirmative action and curated (by race/ethnicity) matriculation into our nation's academic institutions.

As expected, Asian-Americans are at the forefront of this debate, as they are challenging the notion that there should be any ratio/limiting of admission to colleges based on race. They see this policy, ostensibly shutting them out of schools even if they have sufficient grades to meet academic standards, as violating their civil rights. I completely agree with the premise that schools should be focusing on academic achievement as the foremost evaluation principle, and applicants should be reviewed in a race-blind, or as much of a racially neutral fashion, as can practically be done.

If SCOTUS were to rule in favor the plaintiffs, what a shock wave this would send throughout not only the academic world, but our country in general. This might open up other avenues of scrutiny for re-evaluating the fairness of exclusionary policies based merit simply to achieve a desired ratio of race/ethnicity in a given setting.

So, to put it a different way, YES, let's strive for diversity and inclusion, BUT, you are going to earn your way in.

I'm not sure but this case may have been slogging around in the background for a few years now? (correct me if I'm wrong).

In any case, I don't see this continuing to fly under the radar, and you can expect the full-court press from MSM and White House to squelch this. In conjunction, expect the far leftist shock troops (BLM/Antifah) to be left of the chain to raise havoc at some point.

All because some in our country feel Asian-Americans deserve second class treatment.

I'm for racial fairness, for ALL races. How about you.

posted on Jan, 24 2022 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: SleeperHasAwakened

I have no clue what mental gymnastics have to be done to see this any other way. If you make any decisions based on race alone, it's the definition of racist.

racist
[ rey-sist ]SHOW IPA

See synonyms for racist on Thesaurus.com
📓 High School Level
noun
a person who believes in racism, the doctrine that one's own racial group is superior or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others.

posted on Jan, 24 2022 @ 09:26 AM
link   
"All because some in our country feel Asian-Americans deserve second class treatment."

I don't think that it's a willful second class treatment, but rather asians preform so well that some have to be cut to allow in other minorities.

Plus we gotta make room for those rich and well-connected families.

edit on 24-1-2022 by CptGreenTea because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2022 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: CptGreenTea
"All because some in our country feel Asian-Americans deserve second class treatment."

I don't think that it's a willful second class treatment, but rather asians (in general) preform so well that some have to be cut to allow in other minorities.

Lulz

Tone it down ya racist

posted on Jan, 24 2022 @ 09:47 AM
link   
These Universities and all their Ph(D)s running the shows will be made to pay and admit they are prejudice racists !!🎌🎻

posted on Jan, 24 2022 @ 09:49 AM
link   

I don't think that it's a willful second class treatment, but rather asians preform so well that some have to be cut to allow in other minorities.

When was the last time a straight-A Black student stepped down in favor of some other Minority student that has a lesser Grade Average ??? See what I mean ??? 🚨🥥

posted on Jan, 24 2022 @ 09:50 AM
link   

I went to an Ivy league school for my terminal degree, then worked around political people.

There are two groups that are getting automatic privileges today:

1) Those who have very powerful (economically or politically) family or friends. This is as old as time.
2) Affirmative action identities

What happens is the powerful are giving the key spots to their kin and friends, for school and jobs, then they give the remaining positions to some diversity hires. This locks out any white or Asian people who are not highly connected. Or, you have to be like the 99 percentile of the white or asian folks, regarding academic achievement or work quality. There are also many people in these categories who are highly intelligent and hard working, who are there based on merit. These policies often aren't fair to them either, as people begin to suspect that they are only there due to diversity requirements.
edit on 24-1-2022 by Madviking because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2022 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: SleeperHasAwakened
I agree that the only way to determine if someone is accepted should be based on ability/motivation, nothing else, definitely not race.
Also, don't forget that 'inclusive , diverse, and equal ' are Marxists terms.

posted on Jan, 24 2022 @ 09:55 AM
link   

I understand the historical roots people claim affirmative action is meant to remedy, but I sincerely do not believe that the solution to identity-based (race, gender, etc) oppression historically, is to flip the coin today and simply privilege minorities today based on their collective identity, not individual character. Similarly, it's an injustice to white people (or asian people in this case) to be discriminated against as an individual, based on their collective idenitity (perceived).

I experienced this first hand several times in my professional work. As an example, I applied for a good analyst job at the NYC City Council. I went through four interviews, including rigorous panel interviews and submitting a portfolio of professional work. At the last minute, they turned me down. The hiring director actually called me to apologize profusely, which I've never had happen. I knew someone who worked there (actually several). He said that I was the last person standing, and the final, best candidate. I was supposed to be hired and my materials were submitted for HR processing. Someone in the City Council vetoed my hire because they "didn't want another white male."

posted on Jan, 24 2022 @ 09:56 AM
link   
This is a subject near and dear to my heart.

This has had a direct impact on my family.
As Asians Americans we have always felt not only do we have to fit into that “model minority” mold, yet at the same time we aren’t seen as true “Americans”. Getting Straight A+ just isn’t enough. In some cases we did not even quality for scholarships for Asians because……………….we were too light skinned. If that isn’t discrimination.
Yes now Asian scholarships are often segregated by country.

posted on Jan, 24 2022 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: CptGreenTea

I don't think

You should have left it there as your post contradicts itself in multiple ways .

Wait , was that sarcasm ?
Said in my best Sheldon voice .

edit on 1/24/22 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2022 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Yes, and so called "positive stereotypes."

At this point, asian and white people are experiencing the same issue with hiring and school applications. One has to be way too excellent to have a chance, often far above the basic requirements, compared to the affirmative action requirements, and then even once inside the organization they will face the same issue with the next set of opportunities (promotions, projects, etc).

However, I will let you know though that in some spheres still to this day asian people are not being artificially suppressed, but white people are. For example, big tech is still hiring asian people in droves from around the world.

posted on Jan, 24 2022 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: ancientlight

Citing meritocracy is now considered racist.

posted on Jan, 24 2022 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

It's not the students stepping down, but the schools trying to meet a diversity quota. If they just picked minorities with the best grades, it would be mostly asians. Asians just outpreform every race.

And if you could somehow get rid of any affirmative actiob, it would be heavily white and asians in ivy league schools.

posted on Jan, 24 2022 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
This is a subject near and dear to my heart.

This has had a direct impact on my family.
As Asians Americans we have always felt not only do we have to fit into that “model minority” mold, yet at the same time we aren’t seen as true “Americans”. Getting Straight A+ just isn’t enough. In some cases we did not even quality for scholarships for Asians because……………….we were too light skinned. If that isn’t discrimination.
Yes now Asian scholarships are often segregated by country.

Coming from a family that includes practically every culture in the book, I would say that you hit on the real problem here.

We are either Americans or we are not. It should start and stop there. As long as we continue to look at the stars upon thars, the color of the stars, and the size, we are always going to have problems.

If we are going to fix this, which I doubt we ever will, because everyone want to be seen as different, as special, and exactly the same, we are going to stop with the color and race qualifiers.

We are chasing our tails with this. Money talks, it rules, it empowers, and it takes away. Big money and old money will always favor money. Anyone they let into their circle is for their gain. We should not be fooling ourselves to believe that there is anything equitable in our system.

The real deal here is that most colleges and universities are not about education. They are about networking and status.

posted on Jan, 24 2022 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: SleeperHasAwakened

I have no clue what mental gymnastics have to be done to see this any other way. If you make any decisions based on race alone, it's the definition of racist.

racist
[ rey-sist ]SHOW IPA

See synonyms for racist on Thesaurus.com
📓 High School Level
noun
a person who believes in racism, the doctrine that one's own racial group is superior or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others.

This. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Any twerp pushing for racial diversity should shut up or say something to the NFL or NBA because I don't see too many lesbian Asians in wheelchairs on the teams.

posted on Jan, 24 2022 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Madviking

And i would imagine that big tech is not doing it out of racism, but rather for the same reason colleges are not accepting asians. Other races don't value educational achievement as much.

We gotta get on their level.

posted on Jan, 24 2022 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

We are either Americans or we are not. It should start and stop there.

EXACTLY!!!

posted on Jan, 24 2022 @ 10:28 AM
link   

a reply to: xuenchen

It's not the students stepping down, but the schools trying to meet a diversity quota. If they just picked minorities with the best grades, it would be mostly asians. Asians just outpreform every race.

And if you could somehow get rid of any affirmative actiob,it would be very heavily white and asians in ivy league schools.
Not that any race is inherently smarter but money, education opportunities, family values and population size of a given race would then determine who would get in.

So called 'diversity' is a Marxist term , used in order to justify their actions (overrun a host country with immigrants) and in order to silence opposition : not wanting a 'diverse' country is 'racist'!
Globalists want us all mingled as one nation one race one religion and one currency. This has also been going on in so called 'education' ,with indoctrination and in today so called 'colleges' admission criteria.

It just sounds so boring don't you think ? All the same, all 'equal'
I think it's fun with different cultures and races.
It's the globalists who are the racists who want all differences wiped out!

posted on Jan, 24 2022 @ 10:49 AM
link   

a reply to: Madviking

And i would imagine that big tech is not doing it out of racism, but rather for the same reason colleges are not accepting asians. Other races don't value educational achievement as much.

We gotta get on their level.

Not quite.

Many have cited that many are H1B visa holders such as from India, who are given less pay and also may not have an issue with Big Tech shenanigans.

Many Americans actually get passed over for these roles, who are qualified. Apparently this may actually be in violation of the rules.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join