It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multi-tools

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 07:59 AM
link   
We've all seen them, and many have one (or more). Multi-tools like the Leatherman and Gerber tools (among others) are almost ubiquitous in modern society. They can be either invaluable, or a worthless paper weight, depending on how you use and carry one. A multi-tool actually saved my life one day. Here are some tips for getting the most out of a multi-tool...

1.) Don't forget you have it - My biggest learning curve with multi-tools when I first got one was, believe it or not, forgetting I actually had the thing on my hip when I needed a tool. A lot of times I would go get another tool only to say..."Shoot, I could have just used my Leatherman!" So, don't forget you have the tool, and don't forget to use it. (If it's not used, it just becomes dead-weight you're lugging around for no reason)

2.) Don't underestimate your multi-tool - Ever since I was a pup I had the mantra... "Use the right tool for the job!"... bludgeoned into my skull by my father. So, when I first got a multi-tool I constantly felt like it was too light to do whatever the job was, and I needed a larger pliers or other tool. In other words, I constantly underestimated the capability. This one kind of goes hand in hand with not forgetting you even have the thing on your person. A Leatherman (or similar) tool will actually perform a lot more work than you think it will. Don't be afraid to pull it out for a task first. I have been consistently surprised at what a Leatherman (my principle brand tool) will do. There is still an element of 'using the right tool' involved, but if you select the proper multi-tool initially, with the tools you'll use, and not ones you won't, you're a lot more apt to have the tool you need.

3.) Choose the right multi-tool - Regardless of brand, it is imperative to spend time looking over the features of all the multi-tools out there. All of us have different needs, and it's important to pick out the model which works best for you. If your multi-tool just sits in a drawer, or a tool box, you'll never use it. On the other hand, if you've carefully researched the features of the tool you buy, and it serves the needs of things you usually do, it becomes an extension of you. Even within a certain brand of tool there are some features on certain models you'll never use. This is just wasted money, unnecessary weight to lug around and often gets in the way. A corkscrew is a good example (for me). In the field, I will never use a corkscrew, so why carry one? Answer: I don't carry one. My most used tools (sort of in order) are: Knife, pliers/wire cutters, scissors, a flat blade screwdriver (as a pry tool) and a file. So, the multi-tool I choose has those tools in easily accessible locations.

4.) The location/orientation of tool features matters - This is one people don't often think about, but it's important. When selecting a tool, it is important to think about how it will be used. A knife is a great example here. I believe it's important to select a tool which doesn't require unfolding to access certain tools like a knife. Also, you don't want to have to deploy the pliers to use a screwdriver. Now granted, on most tools you'll have to partially open the tool to deploy the screwdriver, but you don't have to unfold the tool all the way, and you can just fold the tool back up once you've got the screwdriver out and locked. This may not seem like a big deal, but it actually is; the more accessible the tools you use the most are, the more likely you are to use them (back to remembering you have the tool, and selecting the proper tool). This is one of the reasons I like the Leatherman Wave tool. You have 2 knives, the saw and the file accessible from the outside, and you can deploy the screwdrivers and refold the tool. Again, everyone is different, but these types of considerations will make your tool more valuable to you.

5.) Look for improvements - One of the big shortcomings of multi-tools has historically been the cutting jaws. As many know, we wind up cutting a lot of items which aren't as friendly as copper wire (i.e. nails, steel wire, etc.). And these things can be heck on the cutting edges, and a banged up cutter can be more frustrating than no cutter at all. So, one of the great improvements has been replaceable carbide cutting inserts. Gerber came up with this first (almost made me switch from Leatherman to Gerber). It's nice to see Leatherman finally figured this little detail out. There are others, but this is a good example.

Those are pretty much the big ones. There are probably lots of other tips so feel free to add ones which are important to you.

Multi-tools have come a long, long, way since the original Leatherman tool, and they're still evolving. I find myself looking at new tools all the time to see what new features have been added and whether they work for me. Most don't, but some do and I always like to keep an eye out for improvements.

Hopefully these tips help.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Let's be honest, a multi-tool can do everything but seldom something right. Most of them. I have one inside each car because I thought it's a good investment and not having to drag around the good tools. Never use them, because I have more hassle with the tool than just getting the right one for the job.

Reality is that multi tools suck 99% of the time. Not only do they mess up screws and hexagon heads, they are seldom the one and all tool for a job. And if you have to do a job that would fit the tool, the tool won't last and is not ergonomic to work with for a longer period of time. So the quality tools come in to play again.

Sure, for jobs where you don't know what will face you, it's good to have one around and not go back to the shop / barn but preparing is crucial too. It's the same with Swiss knifes. All the bells and whistles for a real emergency situation but useless in the daily world, where you can't just go at stuff with such a flimsy tool and quality matters.

There are some use full multi tools out there like these credit card things, that's all I need in terms of multi tools. But each one should use the tools they work with best, I'd say.

They have their purpose but are so overrated and hyped.

For home gamers that love to abuse stuff with their multitool and bring it to repair after the fact, there is a saying: For the damage you did with your "fixing" and cheapskate tools, the damage and worktime you produced, you could have bought mid quality tools that would lasted a lifetime (for the home gamer).

edit on 20.1.2022 by ThatDamnDuckAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I personally don't advocate any particular brand because everybody has different needs. I have a brand that I prefer, but that's only because that is the one which works for me. There are other models within the same brand I prefer which don't work for me at all. So, the "right" tool is a matter of personal preference. One of the most important things is maximizing the features you'll use and minimizing the features you don't need. On the particular tool I've chosen historically there are about zero features I don't use on a regular basis (so I kind of lucked out in this regard).

Some of the tool features I find the most useful (to me) (in approximate order of use) are:
1. The pliers / wire cutters
2. The scissors
3. The flat blade screwdriver (as a scraper / pry tool).
4. The file
5. The saw (for notching and grooving things)

You may notice the knife wasn't in my top 5. I do use the knife quite a bit, but I carry a dedicated EDC knife with me at all times, so when I need a knife I usually go to that first. If I didn't carry a dedicated EDC clip knife, the knife probably would have ranked about #3 on the top 5 list.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

I actually disagree. I would counter with...then you didn't buy the correct tool for you.

The very reason I wrote the OP was to dispel the notion of..."Jack of all trades, and master of none."

I think this mantra is true of lesser quality multi-tools, but a properly sized and well researched tool can be a very valuable addition. Yes, if you buy the $10 discount store version, then you probably will wind up with a crappy tool. However, if you spend a little more you can wind up with a very utilitarian tool.

Does a multi-tool replace all of your other tools? Of course not! Not even close, but there is a time and a place. I'm not going to go work on a high performance engine with a multi-tool, but when I'm stranded in the middle of nowhere a tool like this can save your bacon. AND, all you have to do is need and use it once in a pinch and it was worth the entire purchase price.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 08:35 AM
link   
For me it's only the pliers with multitools.

I have bought a Knipex Multitool though and I use it a lot for wire cutting, grapping stuff, removing insulation and even bang on stuff. But it's not what I think a multi tool is in common sense, it has no flip out stuff.

I cut's through finger thick wires like a hot knife goes through butter. Very useful for working on batteries and their cabling.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Handy little weapon also

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Nice thread.

I used to work maintenance, and used a wave. Then I worked on pc's, and used the skeletool.

It would be great if we could custom design our own multi-tools.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

I actually disagree. I would counter with...then you didn't buy the correct tool for you.

The very reason I wrote the OP was to dispel the notion of..."Jack of all trades, and master of none."

See that's where our opinions differ. You tell me that I didn't buy the correct tool for me, when the multi tool is supposed to cover all these bases from the beginning. Yes quality differences, but a multi tool is always a compromise.

The amount of time and money spent for searching and trial and error until the right tool is found.. all that time and money can be used for selecting the right tool, that will do the job precise and will last.

For someone working in difficult places with daily changing work chores, it is sure a nice addition to the real tools at hand. Or for someone renting, with no house to keep up, a multitool is actually useful before going out and buying good tools that you never need again.

How often do you strand somewhere and you had to use your multi tool to get out of the situation?

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 08:47 AM
link   

I keep hearing about these Knipex tools. They're definitely not inexpensive though! The one you have pictured is a pretty unusual one and I don't think I've ever seen one quite like that before. Serious dedicated cable cutter on that tool for sure! The ones I see and hear about most often are the small channel lock pliers. I use my MT for so much more than just pliers, but the pliers are definitely very useful.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I do carry a Leatherman in each of the family vehicles. Don’t think I have ever used it in an emergency….but it is there if I need it.

I hike, backpack and bike. When hiking/backpacking I can’t justify the carrying the weight of the Leatherman for how often I use it.

When biking I often need a Phillips screwdriver for bike adjustments - and even when bike riding (where carrying weight is less of an issue than hiking) I would much rather have 1 screwdriver with a nice sturdy handle than try to use a Leatherman.

I do have a fold out saw that I use both when backpacking and at home…it isn’t a multi-tool but it is a go to gadget that comes in handy. It is the Agawal Canyon Boreal 21. I get a good amount of use out of it - well worth carrying the weight when I am backpacking.

edit on 20-1-2022 by Buvvy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Well, back to my earlier point. I'm always going to opt for a fully outfitted toolbox full of Snap On or MAC tools to work on a high performance engine...in a shop atmosphere. However, I don't want to lug that same set of tools with me everywhere I go; it's not practical (at all). If I'm in my shop I'm always going to opt for the precise tool I need, but I don't always have the luxury of being in my shop. If I'm going to go out for a day of cutting firewood, I'm not just going to take my Leatherman with me and that's it. But when I'm out fishing somewhere it's also pretty unlikely that I'm going to have 1,500 lbs of tools with me to work on a fishing reel in a pinch. Hence the value in a multi-tool.

You'll also notice in item #2 of the OP I addressed the "using the right tool for the job" concept. I'm never going to sit here and tell people that a MT replaces all their other tools because it simply will not do that. Neither am I going to tell someone that a MT is the only tool they ever need to buy ('a person can never have enough tools', is my mantra). However, a MT has saved my bacon in more than one pinch, and even saved my life one time, so they're not exactly useless by any stretch either, and that's kind of the point.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Consider them high grade professional tools when it comes to all things pliers.

If you worked with one of those you scoff at leatherman and similar, I know because I inherited one. These look like toys compared to the hardware you get with such professional tools.

The one in the picture is like 65€ and you can disassemble it completely and even adjust. I bet it would serve you well, you could do wire fencing with it, cutting, twisting & bending the wire and even bang in nails or U-cramps.

I know because I did my apple tree planting fencing (310m, 170 columns) with just this one and a hammer, later a battery powered nail gun. But again I do not consider it a multitool as in what is commonly known / understood as a multitool.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Buvvy

You're doing the right thing, taking what works for you. Not everyone needs a MT, and for those who don't I don't recommend getting one. Because of all the varied things I can get into, a MT is a very useful item to me, and so I carry one. A MT won't solve world hunger, and they won't 'boil the ocean', but they can be useful, and that was really the whole point of the OP.

I think it's important to go with what works for you.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 09:13 AM
link   

I get it, this is the same exact situation with me. I use HAZET, SnapOn, Makita, Knipex.. only name brands because I know what I get there.

But I do not want to drag these high quality tools to outside jobs, where dirt is just waiting to get into my yearly certified torque wrenches and nut drivers. Why I bought a multitool, a cheap multimeter and some basic tools that I can abuse in the dark of the night... But the multitool got replaced by separate cheaper tools.

Because it can not do anything right. None of the tools in the handles are useful or can be deployed in tight regions. I hoped that the flip out stuff gives me leverage and different angles to work with in tight spaces.

Reality is that this is a pipe dream. Again, they might work on daily changing challenges where you need a screwdriver one time and it does not matter how much torque you give it or the guy that comes after you, to fix it again.

But if you go out for fencing, I bet that multi tool is your last resort, not the horse you count on making the race. And therefor, for me personally, multi tool hype with men is just the same as with like purses or beauty gadgets with us.

It gives the impression we can do more and better now, but in reality it holds us back very often.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Okay...you don't like MT's. Understood. Don't buy one then, because clearly you don't like them, and that's fine. I'm not trying to convince anyone otherwise here. Merely pointing out some potentially useful tips for those who do have a need for a tool like this. Nothing more. There is no "winner" here on this subject.

I guess I could understand your passion if the title of this thread was...."Throw Away ALL your other, tools and get a Leatherman",...but that's not the title of this thread, nor is it intended to be the theme.

If the suggestions / tips don't work for you, then you are welcome to disregard them. It's just (hopefully) a fun thread, that's all.

edit on 1/20/2022 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 09:20 AM
link   
No need to get pissed because I am not of your opinion. If you want to have threads where no differing opinion is wished, then write that into your thread.

Write:
This is only for people who agree with me.

Then next time I will stay out with my different opinion. How could I dare on an online board trying to have a discussion. It's not like I did not gave multi tools the benefit of the doubt in some situations.

I am sorry if I pissed on your glorious multi tool thread. Sorry if you feel like that, not because I actually think I did.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: smh4wg

The Leatherman Wave is the tool I've settled on for the one which works best for me also. It seems to have the best weight to function ratio. I've also liked the Gerber Suspension tool in the past due to the replaceable cutter blades and replaceable saw blade. Leatherman finally figured out the replaceable cutter blades. They do have a model with a replaceable saw blade (the Surge model), but that one is a little too large / heavy for my needs.

One tool I've seen (and I forget the model) is the Gerber MT with the blunt nose pliers. That's a really nice feature. I don't know if they've been discontinued or what, but they're almost impossible to find. I wish some others would come out with this feature because grabbing something end on with the pliers is very useful.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I've been carrying the Sidekick for 10 years now and I've used something on it every day. I think I forgot it one time and felt naked all day. It has been the perfect carry tool for me all this time.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 09:33 AM
link   

I've had a few different multitools, Leatherman and Gerber.

I used to use them all the time when I was a young Marine, especially when I was an EOD tech. The last 10 years or so, most of my work has been in offices, so I haven't had much need of them.

I still have one though, just in case.

posted on Jan, 20 2022 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDamnDuckAgain

I get it, this is the same exact situation with me. I use HAZET, SnapOn, Makita, Knipex.. only name brands because I know what I get there.

But I do not want to drag these high quality tools to outside jobs, where dirt is just waiting to get into my yearly certified torque wrenches and nut drivers. Why I bought a multitool, a cheap multimeter and some basic tools that I can abuse in the dark of the night... But the multitool got replaced by separate cheaper tools.

Because it can not do anything right. None of the tools in the handles are useful or can be deployed in tight regions. I hoped that the flip out stuff gives me leverage and different angles to work with in tight spaces.

Reality is that this is a pipe dream. Again, they might work on daily changing challenges where you need a screwdriver one time and it does not matter how much torque you give it or the guy that comes after you, to fix it again.

But if you go out for fencing, I bet that multi tool is your last resort, not the horse you count on making the race. And therefor, for me personally, multi tool hype with men is just the same as with like purses or beauty gadgets with us.

It gives the impression we can do more and better now, but in reality it holds us back very often.

Agreed.

MTs are more of a housewife tool IMO.

Great for taking the tv remote battery cover off, or twisting some wire together, but using it for anything that actually needs repairing is like using a butterknife for slot screws....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join