It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High IQ/IQ Test/ High IQ Organizations

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 09:51 PM
link   
High IQ/IQ Test/ IQ Organizations

I have a few questions about this subject. This subject really keens into my fascination and wonder.
I am very inquisitive about this subject, and I am currently reading a book called “Pseudoscience and Mental Ability” by Jeffrey M. Blurn. I haven’t read much of the book yet, but it goes on to talk about the origins, fallacies and controversies of the IQ. So far from what I gather Psychologist can’t even agree amongst themselves with what IQ means, let alone what they are measuring since the human mind is so sophisticated and complex . Each individual has multiple IQ’s within their self, I believe. IQ tests were created to find those that are considered mentally challenged I believe, then IQ test evolved from there.
In this book from Mr. Blurns research he states that these so called “Culture Fair” IQ test are still biased.
I have not read really into what proof he gives to back up these claims, because I just started reading the book, but so far he says that some of these “Culture Fair” test are aimed for a certain groups of people. He then goes on to say that people believe these test are fair, just because of its name, and do no empirical testing to see if this hypothesis is true. Even though our IQ test may not be perfect it does give us some idea where we fall in groups of intelligence. Where problems may arise from this, is when people put too much emphasis on their IQ scores. An IQ score of 147 could be equivalent to 175 on another IQ test.
We can see differences of intelligence amongst different individuals in our society, but moving on I would like to have a little fun here…

I found a web site that suppose to be pretty accurate in measuring your IQ to some extent. A friend who took this IQ test got a similar score to the one he did on an Official IQ test.
These IQ test measure different areas of your IQ but the link I gave here measures your pattern recognition area. This suppose to be the so say core of your logic, its your ability to take a chaotic environment and make sense of things. The GOOD thing about these test on this site is that these test are about 18 or so ?’s long, and shouldn’t take over 30 minutes to take. If you are a concrete thinker it may take you over 30 minutes to take these test like I did. Remember this is just for fun.. If you want to take these IQ test start by taking the MARTIX A IQ test. nicologic.free.fr...
It measures up to 150. If you do well on that test and feel like you are more intelligent then take the test that measures up to 170+ or the one that measures to 200 if you think you are really smart. nicologic.free.fr...

Also read the FAQ to get a better understanding of their tests nicologic.free.fr...

From what I gather 140+ is considered a genius, and I think we have a multifarious amounts of geniuses here on ATS. I don’t think it will be very uncommon to find them here. After you are finished taking the test please post your score and what test you took. Take more than one to get an average. If you do not want to post your score that is fine.

Now to the High IQ societies. I would like to know if any of our members are in Mensa, or any other high societies, and what your opinions are of them.

Here are some interesting links to check out :
www.hoagiesgifted.org...
www.mensa.org...
www.highpotentialssociety.org...

Have fun.. And please post your scores for fun!

[edit on 093131p://222 by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy]

[edit on 103131p://222 by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy]

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   
IQ topic appearances at ATS have close correlation with lunar activity.

www.belowtopsecret.com...
(MaskedAvatar's last post there spells out what you may want to know about high IQ societies).

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The most common misperception of IQ is that it is a raw score on a test. It isn't. It is normed on a Bell curve with a mean of 100, and the comparisons between tests and how high/low they go have to do with the norming standards applied to tests and the populations used, not to one test being bigger and better than another.

IQ testing can be as valid as testing any other dimension of human potential, but for what purpose would you want to use it?

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Even so, I would like our members to add in their opinions and thoughts, and take these IQ test for fun. I wrote this forum knowing Indigo_Child all ready posted a similiar thread. Even though it is similiar, it is not exactly the same. I found your post on BTS very interesting. I just wonder if those people who are tested 3/4th more intelligent than the world, are pompous intellectuals who think they know all answers and are the alpha and omega?

[edit on 103131p://222 by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy]

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
So please leave opinions and comments as well as test results for fun.

Enjoy

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy
I just wonder if those people who are tested 3/4th more intelligent than the world, are pompous intellectuals who think they know all answers and are the alpha and omega?

I think they are reptilians who write their own tests with a cultural bias towards lizards.

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

Originally posted by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy
I just wonder if those people who are tested 3/4th more intelligent than the world, are pompous intellectuals who think they know all answers and are the alpha and omega?

I think they are reptilians who write their own tests with a cultural bias towards lizards.

haha.. That WOULD explain some serious ISSUES!

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   
My husband, my kids, and I all qualified for Mensa. What this means is you are in the "top 2%, intelligence wise." Depending on how the test is evaluated, 140 on one may not be 140 on the other one. Mensa accepts a number of different tests.

I enjoyed it. It was a social club, really, and what it gave me was a chance to talk to other women about topics that most women weren't interested in (like finances, stock investing, market trends, science fiction, Hubble telescope, etc)

Big downside (for a woman): finding a guy who appreciates intelligent women. A lot of guys are intimidated by smart women (on the amusing side, they married less intelligent women and their kids aren't as bright as mine!) I did find a wonderful man, and we've been married over 20 years!

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indellkoffer
My husband, my kids, and I all qualified for Mensa. What this means is you are in the "top 2%, intelligence wise." Depending on how the test is evaluated, 140 on one may not be 140 on the other one. Mensa accepts a number of different tests.

I enjoyed it. It was a social club, really, and what it gave me was a chance to talk to other women about topics that most women weren't interested in (like finances, stock investing, market trends, science fiction, Hubble telescope, etc)

Big downside (for a woman): finding a guy who appreciates intelligent women. A lot of guys are intimidated by smart women (on the amusing side, they married less intelligent women and their kids aren't as bright as mine!) I did find a wonderful man, and we've been married over 20 years!

I'm very happy to hear that, I feel like I do not fit in with my nromal peers, and I might possibly take an offical iq test, and hopefully get into Mensa to meet other people like me.

My question to you is, do you understand basic biology such as recessive, and dominate alleles or gene varation? If not that is perfectly okay! I was just wondering what the chances are of two highly intelligent people producing offsprings who are highly intelligent in the f1 generation oppose to, two regular intelligent parents producing highly intelligent offsprings? I know that the Vice President of Mensa Isaac Asimov
(I believe) said he had parents whose's IQ is avg and they mated and had him, a highly intelligent individual.

[edit on 113131p://222 by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy]

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   

So far from what I gather Psychologist can’t even agree amongst themselves with what IQ means, let alone what they are measuring since the human mind is so sophisticated and complex .

That's not entirely true. The majority of psychologists with any experience in cognitive assessment agree that the "IQ" of a person is an estimate of their true, actual intelligence. It is a probability, not an exact number. There are multiple domains of intelligence and there is currently no SINGLE test that can assess all of these domains. The human mind IS sophisticated and complex, and we are still in our infancy (as a psychological profession) in our understanding of it. As the human species continues to adapt and evolve, so will our tests to measure our different abilities.

MaskedAvatar:

It isn't. It is normed on a Bell curve with a mean of 100, and the comparisons between tests and how high/low they go have to do with the norming standards applied to tests and the populations used, not to one test being bigger and better than another.

IQ testing can be as valid as testing any other dimension of human potential, but for what purpose would you want to use it?

I agree, the normal curve is the essence of all IQ tests and the "standard" means of comparison. There are many norms and many populations, but fewer tests that actually reflect TRUE diversity.

If a person does not match the norms or populations that were included in the development of the test, then that particular "IQ" number is inaccurate, unreliable, and should not be used to determine anything about that particular individual. It would be unethical to do so.

IQ tests are useful when you have the results of someone who has had a neurological injury. If you have pre-injury test results, and compare them to POST-INJURY test results, then it is possible to determine the degree of cognitive damage. This is particularly relevant in auto accident cases. Even if pre-injury IQ is not available for a particular person, it is possible to estimate their pre-injury IQ by using history-based formulas that require interviews with family, the patient, etc.

Having said this, I still believe that there are organizations that are intentionally misusing IQ tests for sinister purposes..

MK

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by MKULTRA

So far from what I gather Psychologist can’t even agree amongst themselves with what IQ means, let alone what they are measuring since the human mind is so sophisticated and complex .

That's not entirely true. The majority of psychologists with any experience in cognitive assessment agree that the "IQ" of a person is an estimate of their true, actual intelligence. It is a probability, not an exact number. There are multiple domains of intelligence and there is currently no SINGLE test that can assess all of these domains. The human mind IS sophisticated and complex, and we are still in our infancy (as a psychological profession) in our understanding of it. As the human species continues to adapt and evolve, so will our tests to measure our different abilities.

MaskedAvatar:

It isn't. It is normed on a Bell curve with a mean of 100, and the comparisons between tests and how high/low they go have to do with the norming standards applied to tests and the populations used, not to one test being bigger and better than another.

I agree, the normal curve is the essence of all IQ tests and the "standard" means of comparison. There are many norms and many populations, but fewer tests that actually reflect TRUE diversity.

If a person does not match the norms or populations that were included in the development of the test, then that particular "IQ" number is inaccurate, unreliable, and should not be used to determine anything about that particular individual. It would be unethical to do so.

IQ tests are useful when you have the results of someone who has had a neurological injury. If you have pre-injury test results, and compare them to POST-INJURY test results, then it is possible to determine the degree of cognitive damage. This is particularly relevant in auto accident cases. Even if pre-injury IQ is not available for a particular person, it is possible to estimate their pre-injury IQ by using history-based formulas that require interviews with family, the patient, etc.

Having said this, I still believe that there are organizations that are intentionally misusing IQ tests for sinister purposes..

MK

I agree with everything you stated above but one varation. When you stated.

"If a person does not match the norms or populations that were included in the development of the test, then that particular "IQ" number is inaccurate, unreliable, and should not be used to determine anything about that particular individual. It would be unethical to do so."

A person may not meet the IQ average for a certain norm, due to different variations in the testing. For example the test could be biased and developed only for higher IQ intellects, and if a person with an average IQ takes that test, then they may perform below standards. Or if an IQ test is norm for persons with average intelligence and a person scores a 68 on the test, then that does not necessarily mean that the IQ test is unethical or inaccurate. It could mean the person is mentally challenged.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Well....emotional quotient is more important than IQ...I won't say what is is...made that mistake before...I will say I was tested in school and it's well into the "supposed" genius level
I feel I am as far form genius as one can get. A high IQ does not equate to success, money or happiness....I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean. I know people that are not so smart that are very happy and successful, I know people that are very bright and miserable and poor...and all mixes in between... I would say it means nothing in the big sceam of things!

[edit on 3/30/2005 by LadyV]

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I thought genius threshold was 160, but I could be wrong.

In my opinion, MENSA should be more picky...

Have you ever been to one of their meetings? It reminds me a little bit of a circus, or a Star Wars convention, or a zoo, kind of all three rolled into one.

There is a direct correlation between IQ and insanity, or at least, anti-social leanings. Many great thinkers were madmen when it came right down to it. Perhaps that's a reaction to an environment, or maybe it's a ceiling to prevent inteligence from overcoming natural instinct and shattering our programming protocols.

I don't know...

I hate those online tests. They usually aren't very good, but I'll take the one you provided and let you know what I think of it.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Actually, both myself and my wife have qualified for Mensa, on official tests. Her intelligence is probably one of the sexiest things about her honestly...

I might take such tests for fun, but I doubt I'd post the results. I need no such ego boosts, nor do I wish to have to defend the results to those not believing me. (heck, I don't even believe my scores on such things...I'm no dummy, but I'm not NEAR as smart as I test on these damned things...
) If I was as smart as these tests claim, then I'm really doing something wrong, as I'm not rich or anything, so obviously I'm a dummy in at least one area, hehe....

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Go ahead post your IQ scores if you like. Some of these test are suppose to be normed to those test similiar to the one Mensa gives. I like said my friend that took an official IQ test, recieved a similar IQ score on the Martix A test, and I think an IQ of 160 < X is considered a Profound Genius.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Short, that's for sure.

I couldn't tell whether or not it was timed.

In any case, it didn't agree with the tests I've taken in the past, maybe it was because I rushed, maybe it was because one or more of the previous test batteries was flawed, maybe this one is faulty. I don't know.

My score was more than 40 points lower than I'm used to seeing, so something isn't right.

Either the new tests or the old tests. Not sure which.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I just wonder how many ATS members have an IQ of 120 < X & 130 < X?
Probably many.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
I thought genius threshold was 160, but I could be wrong.

In my opinion, MENSA should be more picky...

Have you ever been to one of their meetings? It reminds me a little bit of a circus, or a Star Wars convention, or a zoo, kind of all three rolled into one.

There is a direct correlation between IQ and insanity, or at least, anti-social leanings. Many great thinkers were madmen when it came right down to it. Perhaps that's a reaction to an environment, or maybe it's a ceiling to prevent inteligence from overcoming natural instinct and shattering our programming protocols.

I don't know...

I hate those online tests. They usually aren't very good, but I'll take the one you provided and let you know what I think of it.

I would like to know more about your opinions on insanity & genius.
I laughed what you said about Mensa gatherings.

"Star Wars convention" - Cracked me up.

-Liquid

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   
LOL...yep that's me a "profound" genius!
Come on people...some of you here know me a bit......"me" a Profound Genius!? I'm 50 years old, I front a rock band, shun organized religion, a bit on the "out there" side of things......I just don't go for the whole silly "mensa" thing! A label to make some feel good or something, better than others

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Short, that's for sure.

I couldn't tell whether or not it was timed.

In any case, it didn't agree with the tests I've taken in the past, maybe it was because I rushed, maybe it was because one or more of the previous test batteries was flawed, maybe this one is faulty. I don't know.

My score was more than 40 points lower than I'm used to seeing, so something isn't right.

Either the new tests or the old tests. Not sure which.

Which test did you take? DON'T push for the time limit to START.
Might be why you scored lower. Take another test that measures up to 150
on that site or retake the one you did, just don't push for the time limit to start if you did.

-Liquid

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
LOL...yep that's me a "profound" genius!
Come on people...some of you here know me a bit......"me" a Profound Genius!? I'm 50 years old, I front a rock band, shun organized religion, a bit on the "out there" side of things......I just don't go for the whole silly "mensa" thing! A label to make some feel good or something, better than others

I think many geniuses deny that they are ever so smart.

Einstein even said “It’s not that I am smarter than everyone else, it’s just that I stay on a problem longer.”

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join