It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good EDC knife??? BUT...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

What I carry everyday

taskandpurpose.com...

I am a Ka Bar kinda guy...... Love em......

www.amazon.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 03:55 AM
link   
There is only one real knife and MacGyver knew that

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 05:02 AM
link   

I really like CRKT knives. What do you think of this? It has 14% chromium.
M16-03Z
Blade Length: 3.50" (88.90 mm)
Blade Edge: Plain
Blade Steel: AUS 8
Blade Finish: Bead Blast
Blade Thickness: 0.12" (3.05 mm)
Overall Length: 8.25" (209.55 mm)
Closed Length: 4.75" (120.65 mm)
Weight: 3.50 oz. (99.22 g)
Handle: Glass-Reinforced Nylon
Style: Folding Knife w/Liner Lock

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 05:19 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

I have that exact knife (well, almost. Mine has the metal handle). In fact, I was looking for it just yesterday (unsuccessfully, but it's around here somewhere). I've had it for 3-4 years; it seems like a nice knife, but it has some issues. I'm glad you brought this knife up actually because it illustrates a great point about EDC knives.

Overall, the knife is a really good knife, BUT...I can't carry it. The issue is something some don't consider; the flipper, stud, hinge and clip are very angular and kind of sharp. It fits in your pocket nicely, but if you stick your hand in your pocket the sharp edges will skin up your hand. Even brushing your hand by the top or clip on the outside of your pants can scratch you up, and/or it catches on clothing like your sleeve or jacket.

Now, I suppose I could study this thing and take a dremel tool to it and round off some of the offending edges to smooth them out, but you'd be taking some of the knurling off of the stud and other areas. You'd think designers would try this as part of their development process, but they haven't. CRKT is not the only company with this issue, and this is one of the things which separate the more expensive knives from the lesser ones, carry comfort.

Summary - Great knife, but has some non-blade related issues which affect its performance.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: IceHappy

Someone could probably write a book on serrated vs. regular blade knives (probably already have).

I am not a big fan of serrated, or semi-serrated, blades. Some people love them, and I guess it depends on your needs. I find I use the non-serrated portion of my blades probably 10x as much as I ever use serrations. If you're cutting through rope, cordage or seatbelt straps on a daily basis serrations are great, but otherwise (at least for me) I prefer a regular edge.

A lot of times I need to cut something cleanly and serrations don't do that. They're fast in some situations, but they rarely leave a clean cut, rather more frayed and jagged.

I like Ka-Bar knives a lot, but mainly their fixed blades. Unbelievably durable knives for sure. I've never used or had one of their folders. How is it otherwise?

That one is probably too big for what I'm looking for, but I can see where it might be handy.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 05:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick
I'm a fan of the OKC Rat II. Reasonable price, low profile, good performance, and handles what I need it to handle. Probably be roasted for that choice though.

I looked seriously at one of those just yesterday. Looks like a pretty nice knife actually. I opted for a different one based on some pretty minor things, but that one was definitely in the running, so no 'roasting' from here!

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Interesting. I'd not seen one of these before. Looks like a heck of a knife. A little bit bigger than I'm looking for though.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1v2

Oh man I feel ya on the tip up carry. For whatever friggin reason it's a real PITA to find a good EDC that is tip up.

It's like they want you to have to pull it out, turn it around, and then flick it open.

Now I did have a pretty cool stiletto blade once upon a time that lasted for quite a while until I lost it.

buuut yeah, if you decide on anything lemme know. I'd like to check it out.

My Benchmade Mini-Griptillians were what opened my eyes to this (they carry tip up). Once you've tried one you almost immediately realize the advantages. I remember thinking to myself...'why doesn't everyone do this???.

Ever since then, tip up carry has been a requirement for me.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I see you've made your choice, which I think hits the bullseye! That CIVIVI Elementum looks like a great EDC.

Like other members, I've been into knives since early childhood. My collection grew to the point of having to offload many to friends... mum's ultimatum. Globe trotting isn't easy with knives that were illegal in many countries. Nowadays, I keep a low profile collection, mostly European made, some American, and a Japanese Al Mar - my favourite gentleman's pocket knife which I bought over forty years ago.

For over a decade my EDCs were Balisongs - Butterfly knives. I always felt they were the best for their low maintenance and minimal moving parts. I didn't really worry about the knife failing... except snapping the blade. And, except automatic knives, I could deploy my balisongs in a blink of the eye. Many were cheap and I used them at work. I had some expensive ones, but all that's left is my Spyderco Spyderfly. It's a rare beast that was discontinued (actually recalled for some legal reasons), but many people kept them and are now really expensive if you can find someone willing to sell. I would only sell mine to offers over $500.

Here it is (not mine, but identical).

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Welp...I pulled the trigger on that Civivi Elementum that JimMI suggested. Scored it on sale for $42 bucks on Amazon! $42 bucks for a knife with G10 scales and a D2 steel blade, how can you ever beat that deal? And their reviews are pretty great everywhere I looked. Perfect size too for what I was looking for.

I got the orange scales. I like the burgundy ones, but I couldn't find the powder coated D2 blade with the burgundy grips. Besides, orange will work better anyway; better visibility if you set it down or drop it.

It'll get beat on, but hey, that's what an EDC knife is for, right? But if it ever gets lost or stolen I won't be crying like a shoolgirl like I would over one of my Benchmades going MIA.

I just took a close look at that one that JimMi suggested and I agree. Excellent choice. Santa may have to get me one

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

I've never figured out how to use one of those things.

I'd probably stab myself in the goody sack with one of those! Heh, tryin' to pull some Bruce Lee maneuver and wind up hackin' my nards off!

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 01:18 PM
link   

LOL! I've never had an out-of-the-pocket "accident". Although, I have cut myself when attempting some acrobatic flipping... throwing it in the air (it flips open by itself) and catching it on the way down.

Once you get used to the technique, it flips open and closed in milliseconds. Used to scare the sh!t out of people.

ETA: you can buy practice knives and for some models you can get fake blades to swap for the real blade until you feel safe to flip it properly.

edit on 17/12/2021 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I am completely new here and really only registered to comment on this post, though you may see me in more forums going forward; However...

I second the Civivi elementum. It really seems to satisfy the the "perfect" EDC knife for the casual user and has good all around aesthetics if that matters to you. I have one and love it.

BUT, and that's a big but, one of my favorite knives is the Artisan Proponent. The images are misleading, it's a giant damned flipper, and heavy. That being said, the blade is thick enough to baton if needed and comes with a screw in device to secure the mechanism to avoid collapse. I have never used it ever but the option is neat for the price. The D2 blade and G10 option is under $100 and there are other options with svn35 and Ti scales if that's your thing (for quite a bit more.) I am partial to the Wharncliffe style blade for whatever reason.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 07:43 PM
link   

As usual, late to the party, but I wanted to share as well...

You did say good, bad and whatever...

It does have a seatbelt blade, as well as a glass breaker...was cheap...got it for like 15.00. Dont know what it's made of, but it's sharp as all getout! had it for a couple months now...

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Spyderco: American made
Daggerr: Russian made
WE: Chinese made
The Civivi has a huge fan club and good reputation
You should love it.

edit on 17-12-2021 by arkansasstone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 10:30 PM
link   
My everyday carry ..

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 11:20 PM
link   
I forgot about this guy because he's just a tool on my belt but I can tell you it's one of the most sinister weapons you can have .

edit on 17-12-2021 by Ravenwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2021 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: sarahvital

Sharpening isn't all that hard, you just have to practice. Once you get it right then you can almost do it by sound. I can actually 'hear' when I get the right angle on an edge. You can definitely feel it too.

yeah, i'm sure, i've bought enough stones to build a small house and still can't do it. i guess it's just one of them things.

maybe some kinda mind block or sumpthin.

would like a good pro to deal with them tho, i have serrated, flexible and stiff, 1 beveled sided blades, a Hodge poge of 40 yrs of acquiring them. i just run them over a steel.

posted on Dec, 18 2021 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Thanks for posting and bringing this up. It brings back good memories, of Dad, grandpa, and my kids.

I've had several, but I can't let go of the classics.

For camping I have both a Ka-Bar, and buck fixed blades. I also have a Ka-Bar sheathed hatchet I never use, but always bring. I've also given a set to both my boys.

For my (personal sized) pontoon boat, I have a sheathed fixed blade buck with a hole on the butt to your to the boat.

My EDC is a buck 110. Sometimes in the stock sheath, others lose in my pocket. I just love the feel, weight and balance if that wood/brass case. I had over given to at 16 and fell in love.

There's plenty I like, and have carried sometimes for months, but I always go back to that old Buck 110.

I do carry a very nice Leatherman in my tool bag, and in my pocket when I'm working on stuff like my RV or around the house. They're just a good tool to have.

posted on Dec, 20 2021 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene
There is only one real knife and MacGyver knew that

ha ha, yeah he could do anything with that! i had one at one time. didn't really need it that big tho. never had to diffuse a nuclear bomb or build a transmitter. out of a chatty cathy doll. lol.

now i have a small key chain one that i got in switzerland and the next time i flew, they took it from me! when i got back, it was a pita to get it back. now i leave it at home when i fly.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join