It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good EDC knife??? BUT...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I've been a Buck lover ever since I was a kid. My first "real" knife was a Buck 110 given to me by my Dad as a gift. I still have that knive too (along with several other 110's). I've probably got a dozen or so Buck knives in various styles. I was disappointed to see them ship most of their production offshore, but they still make a few models here in the USA.

Unfortunately, Buck isn't really a contender in the small EDC knife market segment. I still love them for nostalgia's sake, but for a hardcore daily service knife there are better candidates out there.

I'm a big fan of Benchmade now. Spyderco is good, but I don't like the shape of most of their edges. Both are pricey though.

posted on Dec, 16 2021 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: caterpillage

That's "true EDC" right there!

Point up is the only way to go for an EDC knife. I can't believe about 95% of all the manufacturers haven't figured this out! Point down, IMHO, isn't really EDC (IMO) because you have to turn the knife around to open it. With point up, you don't have to do that; you can deploy it in the exact same orientation it comes out of your pocket.

It may not seem like a big deal to some, but it really is! Probably saved my life one day. And I think people forget an EDC knife needs to be available not only 'every day', but also under every possible condition. So, for example, if it's freezing cold outside and you've got thick gloves on, having to turn your knife around in your hand to open it means you could drop it and possibly lose it in the snow (or water, or whatever).

I think there's still a stigma about point up carry with a clipped pocket knife, like manufacturers don't trust their mechanism well enough, and their attorneys think people are going to stab themselves in the hand with them because of the orientation when they shove their hand in their pocket.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 12:01 AM
link   
A brand that is way underrated and overlooked is Kizer. Made in China but the quality for the price is outstanding.

www.kizerknives.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 12:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

My EDC is the Double Safe Hunter, from Cold Steel. Its on sale for 44.99 right now. Its wide, clip-point blade is 3.5" in length and is made of 8Cr13MoV steel, tempered to 57-58 Rockwell hardness.

Available here: www.coldsteel.com...-description-ph

Cold Steel is a great company. A good percentage of their knives are American Steel, but I do not believe that this knife is. If this knife isn't up your alley, I would suggest perusing their catalog.

Good hunting.

*10% off with code: SAFEOPT10
edit on 17-12-2021 by DreadKnock because: This Space For Rent

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: DreadKnock

Thanks. That's a little large for my application.

I haven't looked at Cold Steel lately, but historically I was never a big fan of them (sorry). I presume you do know that Cold Steel isn't really a knife manufacturer; they're more of a front company for other knife makers that Cold Steel puts their name on. It's a clever marketing idea, but sometimes you never know what you're going to get from model to model. One model can be great, and another model awful. I do like some of their stuff though (or did when I last looked). Always liked their advertisements though (some of them are flipping hilarious).

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Welp...I pulled the trigger on that Civivi Elementum that JimMI suggested. Scored it on sale for $42 bucks on Amazon! $42 bucks for a knife with G10 scales and a D2 steel blade, how can you ever beat that deal? And their reviews are pretty great everywhere I looked. Perfect size too for what I was looking for.

I got the orange scales. I like the burgundy ones, but I couldn't find the powder coated D2 blade with the burgundy grips. Besides, orange will work better anyway; better visibility if you set it down or drop it.

It'll get beat on, but hey, that's what an EDC knife is for, right? But if it ever gets lost or stolen I won't be crying like a shoolgirl like I would over one of my Benchmades going MIA.

edit on 12/17/2021 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 12:31 AM
link   

I have a 5 year old serrated KA-BAR which comes camping with me every year, sharp as a razor and durable as you like. Great knives, think it cost me around £150. I had one previous but I didn’t look after the leather handle properly, it’s still in the shed somewhere.

My folding pocket knife for hiking is this one:
www.knivesandtools.co.uk...

It’s 14% chromium, a little more expensive than your budget but IMO worth it.

Then I have a cheap little Stanley Fatmax that I use for work.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Grenade

Is your Stanley Fat Max one of the ones which takes a regular utility blade (insert)?

If so, I have a couple of those kicking around. Pretty handy being able to change out the blade when you bust one. I keep one in clipped to my tool bag. Even though they have a clip, you could never pocket-carry one of those things with all the sharp corners. I tried that one day and tore the crap out of my hand.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 12:44 AM
link   
wow, i wish i could sharpen blades, my dad would be disappointed in me. i just pulled out my buck i got as a present in the 80's. almost cut myself, nice little knife.

i have kitchen knives the ones i like are Sabatier and a japanese sushi knife. but anyway, i picked up a couple pieces in the phillipines that are nice, 1 is 9 1/2 in blade carbon steel with the serrated top like rambo's knife, stil lsharp as hell. ( jus pulled it out of the leather sheath) the other is another home defence 14 1/2 in blade, carbon steel, needs cleaning and a sharpen. wooden sheath. more of a machete i think, heavy blade. got them at the place they were made.

my old friend had a knife sharpening biz and he use to do all my knives.

edit on 17-12-2021 by sarahvital because: lol, made a mistake, i corrected it i hope.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 12:48 AM
link   

It’s a proper little cheap pocket knife, I have the retractable blade ones as well in my tool bag.

This is the one I pocket for work. Cheap and nasty, would’t even think about taking my benchmade to work, it would disappear minute I left it sitting for 2 seconds. Construction sites are no place for a good knife.

Stanley Fatmax

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: sarahvital

Sharpening isn't all that hard, you just have to practice. Once you get it right then you can almost do it by sound. I can actually 'hear' when I get the right angle on an edge. You can definitely feel it too.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I EDC a Kershaw Blur. Specifically a 1670BGBBLKST

Had it almost 2 years now. Use it damn near every day.

I've sharpened it once.

I have an entire box of pocket knives since I've been carrying them over 22 years.

This is the only one I've been totally satisfied with. And I'm very biased towards tanto blades.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Grenade

Ohhhh! Yeah, that's not the one I was thinking.

This is the one I was referring to (but it has the Stanley brand logo on it).

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 12:59 AM
link   

My EDC knife is geared towards self-defense rather than everyday utilities. However, this particular knife also has a few added features that make it more versatile than just self-defense.

FOX 599 XT Karambit
www.theultimateknife.com...

This is an outstanding choice in that regard. They sell like hotcakes and when they're in stock, I'd jump on getting one ASAP. Great steel (N690 Co Stainless) and I've had ZERO problems with it aside from tightening the clip screws every now and again. Loc-tite helps but isn't necessary.

Here's an in-depth review:
m.youtube.com...

👍

edit on 12/17/2021 by EternalShadow because: edit

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: cynicalheathen

Tanto blades can be handy.

I only have one tanto now. It's a great big Schrade; I ordered it not realizing how big (and HEAVY) it was going to be. Thing is like a brick! I don't even think you'd have to open the thing to use it as a weapon...just throwing it at opponent would be enough!! I suppose it could be carried, but I'd need a pair of suspenders AND a belt to keep my britches from falling down with that thing! I think I've got a chainsaw which would be lighter to carry!

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

Dayum!!

That thing even looks MEAN!

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 01:05 AM
link   

It's no joke, lol.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I'm a fan of the OKC Rat II. Reasonable price, low profile, good performance, and handles what I need it to handle. Probably be roasted for that choice though.

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Knife junkie here. I've owned tons of brands from cheap up to 700 dollar range.
Right now, hands down my toughest, most used and fastest drawing knife is the
DPx HEST 2.0, by Lionsteel in Italy
It's much faster than an auto to open, since that bottle opener catches your pocket when you draw it.
Wicked fast and good for one handed ladder work.
You prob have to hunt to find one.
It's built like a tank. Titanium and g10.D2 on blade I think.
Phenomenal blade...build, grind, function, sharpening ability, retention, scratch resistance, tip etc, etc...
This one link

edit on 12 by Mandroid7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12 by Mandroid7 because: Added

edit on 12 by Mandroid7 because: Edit link

posted on Dec, 17 2021 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Oh man I feel ya on the tip up carry. For whatever friggin reason it's a real PITA to find a good EDC that is tip up.

It's like they want you to have to pull it out, turn it around, and then flick it open.

Now I did have a pretty cool stiletto blade once upon a time that lasted for quite a while until I lost it.

buuut yeah, if you decide on anything lemme know. I'd like to check it out.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join