It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Them Thar Hills

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2021 @ 08:19 PM
link   

11.00 minute mark - 12.30 mark

Episode 1. Jed Clampett’s cousin Pearl tries to convince Jed to move after oil is discovered on his property.

“You can have anything you want, do anything you want, go any place you want...”

“What do you think Pearl? You think I oughta move?”

“Jed, how can you even ask? Look around you! You’re 8 miles away from your nearest neighbor.....you’re overrun with skunks, possums, coyotes.....bobcats....You use kerosene lamps for light, you cook on a wood stove summer and winter. You’re drinking homemade moonshine....washing with homemade lye soap, and your bathroom is 50 feet from the house....and you ask should you move?”

“Yeah....I reckon you’re right....A man would be a dang fool to leave all this!”

Pearl: “You know where I’d go if I were you?”

Jed: “Where?

Pearl: “Cal-i-for-nee !”

I like the use of a mocking laughter track and the accusation of ignorant unschooled peasantry towards the Clampetts. Until here comes “Big Oil” to transform their lives into modern bliss and the American dream in Californication.

Now we are starting to see a reversal of that narrative, where we see an exodus of intelligent hard working people to them thar hills and living a quality life. I think permaculture will be the biggest contributor to this lifestyle.

....yep, a man would be a dang fool to leave all this.

posted on Oct, 23 2021 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: HilterDayon

Doesn’t matter. If your paying property tax, your paying the government the privilege of keeping what land you “own”.

posted on Oct, 23 2021 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

More renting the land you don't

posted on Oct, 23 2021 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux

Doesn’t matter. If your paying property tax, your paying the government the privilege of keeping what land you “own”.

As opposed to what? Could you elaborate neutron flux?

posted on Oct, 23 2021 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Don’t Pay properly tax, the government can and will take your property away. Living always under the shadow of the government.

posted on Oct, 23 2021 @ 09:42 PM
link   

I think I know how you may be evaluating the O.P. I don't think that there is any truly complete financial escape from state taxation. Only minimising the duty.

The point I intended to make concerns the failure of the modern utopian dream of the city as a kind of disney land of pleasure seeking. It is going to increasingly become a gated community under the auspices of the great reset. The super cities of the 4th Industrial revolution.

Whether one can truly say they own a piece of land is a matter of contention. Really nothing can be personally owned due to our mortality.

But for those who really are stuck on complete ownership there is always succession.

micronations:

www.abc.net.au...

en.wikipedia.org...:_The_Lonely_Planet_Guide_to_Home-Made_Nations

Basically I am just pointing out that of all the strategies available to survive the impending social control system, permaculture seems to present the best foundation for "freer" communities.

posted on Oct, 23 2021 @ 09:55 PM
link   

And government will raise the taxes on property for those who can afford to float the “freer” communities.

Or better yet…

In 2030, You’ll Own Nothing And Be Happy About It

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 23 2021 @ 09:58 PM
link   

I remember that episode.

Thing is, while a few might be able to make it out here, most can't. They simply won't be able to walk away from all those conveniences they have in the cities and suburbs. Not for long anyway.

I've seen it all my life; this exodus may be new in its intensity as of late, but the phenomenon is far from new. Someone decides that they have had enough of the smog and noise pollution and regulations out the ying-yang, so they're going to move to the country! Where the air is clean, and neighbors are friendly, and the nights are quiet and peaceful! Paradise! So they go to a real estate agent and find an acre or so out in the boonies and hire some fancy contractor to build them what amounts to a mini-mansion on their acre of pristine heaven.

Of course, the realtor saw them coming... they paid three or four times what the land was worth... and so did the contractor. So they wind up with this oversized, underdesigned house in the middle of nowhere (where building codes are a minimum because people out here know what they need already) and they don't really own much except the house and a big yard.

But they now have fresh air! And of course, they can't wait to meet their new neighbors! Problem is, their new neighbors have seen this play out so many times, they really aren't in a big hurry to meet the new troublemakers. And trouble there will be... someone will decide to target practice, and the new arrivals will go into hysterics because "someone is shooting at us!" They'll call 911, a deputy will come out, and patiently try to explain to them that their neighbor is target practicing, and he's not about to go tell them what they can and can't do on their own property.

Then the wind shifts and suddenly that fresh air is replaced by the pig farm a couple miles away. Whoops! Maybe that's why someone was so willing to sell them an acre. So they call the cops again, and get the same story... this time with a suggestion to just close the windows if it bothers them.

Now to go to the movies or out to eat, they have to drive down narrow, pot-hole-filled roads instead of just scooting over a few blocks on nice smooth asphalt. No one will deliver anything to them out here, either. So they start to have trouble sleeping because the silence is deafening when the tree frogs aren't. And of course, no one will have much to do with them because they keep calling the cops every time someone does something innocent they don't like.

The wife starts a flower garden. The deer eat the flower garden.

Mowing that big yard takes three times as long as they are used to.

Mosquitoes, it turns out, have built a landing strip with runway lights next door.

People actually let their dogs wander free. Oh, poor, poor Fifi! She's gonna have mutts, and she's got ticks.

They see a rattlesnake in their yard and no one cares. There is no animal control.

One of them decides to remove that vine that is taking over everything. Turns out it's poison ivy! Whoops...

... and the ambulance to take them to the hospital takes 20 minutes to get there...

People actually burn their garbage in the open! All that smoke polluting their fresh air...and no one cares when they complain.

Where did all the bugs come from? And why do they sting?

They get stuck behind a tractor on their way to town, moving at a fast clip of 10 mph.

Finally, a few neighbors decide, OK, maybe they've figured it out. So someone invites them to church. Now, that's like an invitation to be part of the community; churches serve as places of worship, yes, but they are also the community centers. Instead of a nice, polite turn down, they get a scathing lecture about how we aren't religious and we don't want anything to do with your church! So the neighbors leave and let everyone know that these newcomers don't want anything to do with anyone in the community.

After a few months, they pack up and head back to town with their tail between their legs. That house goes up for sale, and the whole cycle starts again. Lather, rinse, repeat. After a few different owners the house is in bad need of repair and no one is willing to fix it... mainly because they don't know how and it's already worth less than they paid for it. Finally, the price drops so low that a farmer buys it up and turns that mini-mansion into a cow shed.

And then, another acre of land is bought up and the contractor shows back up again...

I happen to love living out here. But not everyone is cut out for country life. One must already know how to sustain themselves; they won't learn it here. Nature is not always a kind teacher. Those politically correct ideas? They don't go over well out here. We live here because we don't want to be politically correct; we'd rather be right. We know how to get along with other people even when we disagree. And because of all that, we support each other.

I can walk out my front door and pee off the porch; no one can see. I am surrounded by what others pay big money to have pictures of hanging in their city homes. During the summer, there's food everywhere one looks: garden, blackberries, blueberries, figs, plums, apples, pears, nuts of all kinds... even polk salad growing wild. No one is telling me I have to do this today or that over some silly city ordinance; I cut my grass when I want to cut my grass, I put up what I want to put up, and if I want to I can stand outside and yell at the top of my lungs all night; no one cares. I decide what to do, when to do it, and how I want to do it. If I want to target shoot, I just walk outside... I have mountain in two directions, so either way I want to shoot is safe.

And yeah, the air is clean and fresh. The pig farms are downwind; the neighbors put them downwind from others out of respect. Only the idiots tried to build where they could smell them. I have chickens running around my yard, cats to keep the mice down, a dog to keep the mountain critters away, and a couple of ducks, just because my wife likes ducks. I can put a peacock here; a turkey flock; pretty much any kind of pet I want.

I know how to keep myself healthy; don't need many ambulance calls, and when I do I can make it long enough for them to get here. Planning ahead is second nature, just something we do without thinking about it. We combine trips to town so we're not on the road all the time. We rarely eat out, which makes it a special occasion when we do; usually my wife cooks for us. Got a friend next door (a half mile) who just so happens to make some of the best barbecue pig you've ever ate.

To make a long story short, the vast majority of those who are moving out to the country to be self-sufficient and escape the pandemonium in the cities can't handle the country life. They'll be back home in a few months, maybe a year if they're stubborn. One in a hundred might make it out here and become a member of our little community. The rest? They're just wasting money and time, and of course giving us something to laugh about.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 23 2021 @ 10:01 PM
link   

And…

ACTING HUD SECRETARY STATEMENT ON PRESIDENT BIDEN’S EXECUTIVE ORDER REDRESSING DISCRIMINATORY HOUSING PRACTICES AND POLICIES

Acting U.S. Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Secretary Matthew E. Ammon today released the following statement on President Biden’s executive order redressing our nation's and the federal government's history of discriminatory housing practices and policies:

“President Biden’s executive order is a vital step toward redressing the federal government’s legacy of housing discrimination and securing equal access to housing opportunity for all.

“Racially discriminatory housing practices and policies have kept communities of color from accessing safe, high-quality housing and the chance to build wealth that comes through homeownership. To this day, people of color disproportionately bear the burdens of homelessness, pollution, climate-related housing instability, and economic inequality because of deliberate and systemic efforts to deny them fair and equal access to housing opportunity.

“Only by recognizing and acknowledging our nation's history of housing discrimination can we begin to lift the barriers to safe, accessible, and affordable housing. With this executive order, President Biden is taking meaningful action to advance racial equity in housing and expand opportunity for all. HUD looks forward to working closely with the President and his administration to expand equitable access to housing for millions of Americans.”

www.hud.gov...

The Bernie Sanders Philosophy: An Equal Share Of Misery

www.forbes.com... 12f13

posted on Oct, 23 2021 @ 10:01 PM
link   

And government will raise the taxes on property for those who can afford to float the “freer” communities.

Or better yet…

In 2030, You’ll Own Nothing And Be Happy About It

www.abovetopsecret.com...

That's why I am stocking up on vaseline. To ease the pain somewhat. Until then.....grow pumpkins grow!

posted on Oct, 23 2021 @ 10:05 PM
link   

The first strawman everyone throws out... you don't own your land if you are paying your local government (NOT the Federal Government) for having said property in that county.

My reply to that is... what is the alternative and how much are you paying?

I have 400 acres, two homes on it and I have structured my taxes accordingly....

Both homes are on a pier and beam foundation so do not count as houses, but outbuildings.

A portion of my land is a tree farm... free to me and is a tax break for me.

Another portion of my land I keep mowed and marked... it is considered an emergency landing field for aircraft, giving me another tax break.

So my property taxes run me roughly $240 a year.

My power is a combination of micro-hydro and solar... yes there was an initial expense but for roughly 20 years I have not had a power bill.

I have no garbage bill, no water bill, no sewage bill.

I grow and sell my own food, so my "grocery bill" actually turns out to be an annual income for me.

Beer? I make my own and barter with it.

Wine? Make that too and barter with it.

My bills consist of a Netflix account, insurance on 2 vehicles ($74 a month), an internet connection ($81 a month) and vehicle expenses (maybe $50 a month).

I can live quite comfortably on $400 a month... not only that, I can make enough in a growing season to live off of just that without working at all.

What's your alternative?

posted on Oct, 23 2021 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Now you're making me jealous...

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 23 2021 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

huh? I was talking about the Beverley Hillbillies. I think you're thinking of Mrs Douglas from Green Acres. Heck, you don't sound like Mr Haney. He was a cheerful and long-suffering friend of the city slickers.

posted on Oct, 23 2021 @ 10:37 PM
link   

One. The federal government does want to “better” housing by moving large portions of the population out of cities.

Two. If people get the “revolution” they want. Land ownership will be stripped. It’s happen repeatedly throughout history.

Three. If you got supples. Kudos to you. In the state I live in, 400 acres can be had for around 4,000,000 million. Most farm land is about $10,000 an acre. And the large land tracks are usually farm land.

Like I told the guy at work that bragged about hunting if things got bad. My state has about 7 million people. The deer population is under 800,000.

You do the math. Now take into account farmers cannot get food to market because of say severe drought. That means if farms are not producing food, Nature it’s self is dying off. In a food shortage for my state you have about 7 million people hunting 800,000 deer dying of drought.

Then another guy I work with blatantly states I have guns so I can take what I want if things get bad.

Is there a time where people might have gardens like the victory gardens of World War II. Maybe. Will there be a time when people have to ration and give up their share to the government like in World War II. Only time will tell.

edit on 23-10-2021 by neutronflux because: Added and fixed

posted on Oct, 23 2021 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Yeah, I know. I liked Green Acres, too, but not as much as the Beverly Hillbillies.

I was expressing a view on your premise, that more people are moving to the country to become "self-sufficient." Most of them will be heading back for the city life soon enough.

And we'll have plenty of room for more cows.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 23 2021 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Folks are flocking to our small town.

Traffic is horrible, we aren't built for this many people.

There are signs for "We Buy Houses" cropping up in my Neighborhood.

I don't want my rent to go up, we're on disability.

I hope no one takes the bait and they don't overgentrify our Neighborhood.

Influx sucks because of Opportunists.

The changes to Downtown are nice though, I'll give them that.

posted on Oct, 23 2021 @ 10:46 PM
link   

I already did the math, 20 years ago.

That's where I live where I do.

If the power went off in America tomorrow, the only competition for resources I will have to deal with is the deer and elk VS me.

Land ownership being stripped in my little valley will have to be accomplished through force against an enemy that not only knows the terrain.... but roughly 40% of the population of the county are Veterans. Wish you luck on that.

Where you live, you can buy 400 acres for 4 million dollars.

Where I live, I can buy a rocket launcher for $500.

Location, location, location...

posted on Oct, 23 2021 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Some people resisted the rationing system and were faced with steep penalties of up to $5,000 or imprisonment if caught. Neighbors reported to officials two North Texans hoarding 514 cans of rationed food on April 15, 1943. Their goods were confiscated and donated to the Dallas War Chest and various agencies.

www.dallasnews.com...

Sometimes it’s better to keep your mouth shut, and not brag……

posted on Oct, 23 2021 @ 10:51 PM
link   

the only competition for resources I will have to deal with is the deer and elk VS me.

And what does that have to do with my example of severe drought?

posted on Oct, 23 2021 @ 10:53 PM
link   

If people get the “revolution” they want. Land ownership will be stripped. It’s happen repeatedly throughout history.

That will be a very bloody proposition. They need to remember to bring a whole bunch of body bags... one for me, the rest for them.

Not saying it can't happen, just saying it won't be enjoyable. This is family homestead. I will die defending it if necessary.

Then another guy I work with blatantly states I have guns so I can take what I want if things get bad.

He'll be one of the first to hit the dust.

I've told people this before: if someone comes to my front door and says they're hungry, chances are they will leave with a full belly carrying a bag of veggies. Anyone caught trying to take anything, even from my garden, will be shot on sight. And I have the home field advantage.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join