It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHORT STORY WRITERS CONTEST for Sep-Oct 2021 --LEGENDS OF THE FALL-- LF2021 --WINNERS NAMED

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I couldn't find out where to find out answers to my questions, so I hope it's all right to ask a couple questions here.

I've seen these writing threads many times, but never actually clicked on one. Can one only submit a story into the current contest? Or can one post a short story that is not part of a contest? One that just stands alone? And, if one wanted to participate in a contest, say this current one about "Fall," who gets to decide if the user's story conforms to the guidelines of the contest theme or not? Say I wanted to submit a story about Adam and Eve and their "Fall" from the Garden? Would that be acceptable or not? Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I couldn't find the right place.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrulyColorBlind
I couldn't find out where to find out answers to my questions, so I hope it's all right to ask a couple questions here.

I've seen these writing threads many times, but never actually clicked on one. Can one only submit a story into the current contest? Or can one post a short story that is not part of a contest?

Absolutely, and please do! Simply make up the story and post it in the short Stories arena.

Say I wanted to submit a story about Adam and Eve and their "Fall" from the Garden? Would that be acceptable or not?

Maybe..... But here's the rub.. your story still has to be original.. so you couldn't use biblical scriptures or an already written Biblical story. Whatever you conceive has to be an original story. Did that make any sense at all?

If the above is wrong and not the case, I'm sure DTOM will come in and let us know.

Johnny

edit on 10/4/2021 by JohnnyAnonymous because: Teeny tiny typos.. almost too small to see

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 10:03 PM
link   

I've seen these writing threads many times, but never actually clicked on one. Can one only submit a story into the current contest? Or can one post a short story that is not part of a contest? One that just stands alone? And, if one wanted to participate in a contest, say this current one about "Fall," who gets to decide if the user's story conforms to the guidelines of the contest theme or not? Say I wanted to submit a story about Adam and Eve and their "Fall" from the Garden? Would that be acceptable or not? Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I couldn't find the right place.

If I may be so bold as to chime in...

The subject of each competition is usually broadly open to interpretation. JohnnyAnonymous is of course correct in saying that your story has to be original, but the theme could be a wide variety of interpretation of said theme.

For instance... Legends of the Fall could be anything about:

Falling in or out of love.
The season of Fall, or Autumn for Europeans.
Base jumping.
Skydiving.
Halloween.
Legends.
Heroes.
Falling from grace. (original interpretation or story as mentioned)
Falling on your bum. (ouch!)
Buying a farm. (potentially also ouch?)
Precipitation.
etc.

It's all about your interpretation and imagination regarding the subject. I have not observed strict rules about that just yet.
I'm very new to the Short Stories as well, so any veterans could kindly correct me if I'm mistaken.

edit on 4-10-2021 by Kreeate because: emphasis

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

My entry for the contest - writer.

link

As always, thank you for reading and good luck to all who enter.

posted on Oct, 4 2021 @ 10:55 PM
link   
For now sweeties: www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 12:24 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyAnonymous

I have a question, please.
May contest entries contain images or artwork?

Thanks in advance. I am still drafting, but am very excited to post my entry!

edit on 5-10-2021 by DreadKnock because: Found an answer to my first of 2 questions, edited down to 1 question re: images

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 12:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyAnonymous
your story still has to be original.. so you couldn't use biblical scriptures or an already written Biblical story.

Oh, I understand perfectly. Being a published author, I know that plagarism is a no no. No, my story has a few characters mentioned in the Bible, but my story really has nothing to do with the Bible. I use the characters in a fictional way.

I'll submit it here, for that contest, and if it's not appropriate, maybe it can be moved to right place.

Thanks for answering my question!
edit on 5-10-2021 by TrulyColorBlind because: Corrected a typo.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: DreadKnock

I have a question, please.
May contest entries contain images or artwork?

Thanks in advance. I am still drafting, but am very excited to post my entry!

I know they've been allowed before.. but you must know this, the story is the most important aspect of a Short Stories contest. So if it's like one or two graphic, I believe that would be ok. But a graphic novel... no, don't think so.

If I'm wrong we will know soon enough... LOL

Good luck in the contest!
Johnny

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 12:50 AM
link   

your story still has to be original.. so you couldn't use biblical scriptures or an already written Biblical story.

Oh, I understand perfectly. Being a published author, I know that plagarism is a no no. No, my story has a few characters mentioned in the Bible, but my story really has nothing to do with the Bible. I use the characters in a fictional way.

I'll submit it here, for that contest, and if it's not appropriate, maybe it can be moved to right place.

Thanks for answering my question!

I'm hoping to catch you before you post it in here (this contest thread).

After your explanation I personally do not see it as being in any way against what we'd love to read and I anxiously await your composing it.

Please just go ahead and post it out in the Short Stories Arena. Then make up a post in here (the Contest thread), and add a link so that the membership can easily get right to reading your entry!

Thanks and Good Luck in the Contest!
Johnny

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Understood. Thank you for your quick response. Cheers!

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Here's the story I submitted:

My Brother's Keeper

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 01:52 AM
link   

I'm hoping to catch you before you post it in here (this contest thread).

After your explanation I personally do not see it as being in any way against what we'd love to read and I anxiously await your composing it.

Please just go ahead and post it out in the Short Stories Arena.

I had already entered it into the contest before I saw this reply from you. But I explained at the end of my story how I think it can fit into the theme. I hope I didn't do something wrong.

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 02:11 AM
link   

I hope I didn't do something wrong.

NOPE.. in fact you did everything RIGHT !

Good luck in the contest.. I'm off to go read your entry now,
Johnny
edit on 10/5/2021 by JohnnyAnonymous because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2021 @ 12:07 PM
link   

just bumping for increased visibility

good stuff everyone.
Thanks for jumping in. Tell yer friends.

Keep 'em coming and good luck.

It's bound to be ...

or Fall-y

posted on Oct, 6 2021 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Well.. I'm sorry to have to do this to you wonderful people.. but I have posted up, (Johnny shudders) one of my Stories.

I say this every time, but for you new contestants... I can't write, nor can I choose the proper wording for a written creation. But I do it because it's all for fun.

If you haven't had the chance to read some of the other Moderators compositions which are listed as "Just 4 Fun by staff" in their titles, please do so. Then you'll see what Im up against!

So be kind, and remember if I can throw this together, then you can too. And I hope some of you whom have already made a story for us, might consider writing another. I have been surprised and amazed by the creativeness of all of you.

And now.. I apologize for what your about to read....

"Legends of the Fall" (a Staff 4 Fun Story) -LF2021-

Johnny

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 04:06 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2021 @ 06:45 AM
link   
High guys haven't done any writing in years and apologies for the length, I cut a lot out but it's still longer than I hoped. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read it all.

It's been years since I logged in and I can't seem to find out how to post a link to the story. I'll keep looking but in the meantime its called

"The Fall The Wall The Vault And The Mother"

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit: oops looks like I partially did it without knowing but can't get link to show thread title.

edit on 7-10-2021 by merkins because: Trying to edit to place a link

edit on 7-10-2021 by merkins because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-10-2021 by merkins because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2021 @ 12:35 AM
link   
For the few who might be interested I went ahead and added to chapter 4 www.abovetopsecret.com... which takes place when USSB reinforcements arrive but before the butt kicking starts !! hahahah

posted on Oct, 8 2021 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Saw this and thought... WOW, now those are some loyal ATS Writers!

posted on Oct, 9 2021 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Loving all the stories...and the memes, lol...
Tick tock ..it's story time.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join