It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Are You Putting In Your Fall Garden?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2021 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I've been busy all of August taking spent plants from the garden and prepping beds for fall.

I live in a SHORT season area (zone 5b), but we're really getting the hang of all season gardening. We're using cold frames, row covers, hoop tunnels, cloches, and cold hardy plants so we can harvest pretty much all year.

This year was challenging, as we've had a drought (our maple trees are leafless for the first time in our tenish years on the property), a weird wind storm that resulted in an F1 tornado, which probably sounds mild to some people here, but it's a once in a decade event where I am, a heat wave, and a really late frost (June 25th) that killed our transplants in the low lying garden.

So now I'm gearing up for fall. To get us to November ish, I've put in tons of lettuce, swiss chard, spinach, mustard greens like tatsoi and ultraviolet, and turnips that I'll pull up small.

For overwintering with help from hoops and covers, we've got lots of raab, sprouting broccoli, broccoli, and romanesco.

In the cold frames we have mache and corn salad, which I call our apocalypse greens because they're the hardiest greens I've grown.

Then in just regular plots that should keep long into winter we have brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, parsnips, turnips, rutabagas, and beets.

And there's still squash to harvest, corn, pole beans, potatoes, herbs, and the few tomatoes that the drought and deer didn't decimate.

How's your fall garden shaping up?

posted on Aug, 16 2021 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

Squash, onions, carrots, potatoes and ex-neighbor for soil nutrients.

posted on Aug, 16 2021 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Which squash are you growing? We've got pumpkins for Halloween, butterbush, spaghetti, kuri (my favourite), and mashed potato delicata.

posted on Aug, 16 2021 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Butternut, it's my favorite, plus I can use the blossoms.

posted on Aug, 16 2021 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I have corn coming up, a squash that should do well, some cucumbers, and I'll be putting beans in the dirt this morning.

It's a small patch in a rental property that we're about to leave as we've purchased a place for cash on the barrel head, but we may be here still too see harvest, or I'm sure the landlord will allow us to harvest after we move.

posted on Aug, 16 2021 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Sounds good! Will you have room at the new place for a garden? What zone are you in?

posted on Aug, 16 2021 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Hmmm I live in a 3b zone and right now I got carrots, cucumbers, zucchini, green peppers and jalapeño, cherry tomato’s, and green beans.

I have a massive garden expansion planned for next year going to double my lot and grow beets and corn.

posted on Aug, 16 2021 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

How long is your season-ish? Do you do any late fall/winter stuff?

This has been such a weird year for us. We got exactly one zucchini and usually we're putting them at the side of the road for neighbours!

posted on Aug, 16 2021 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I pretty much plant everything I can after the last frost of may and hope for the best lol. Sometimes we get nuked with a late frost so you have to cover your garden with a tarp.

posted on Aug, 16 2021 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I’ll be transplanting some Rhubarb from a large pot to a sunny slope.

The squirrels (?) got my zucchini
I’ve got some heirloom tomatoes—‘Mr. Stripy’ & ‘’Black Prince’ that've done well; anxious to see if I can harvest and store their seeds.

Got some red Romain and some Oak Leaf lettuces that've gone to seed. I’ll wait and see if they do well this Fall.

Had to pull up my Spinach— heat killed it but not before I harvested a huge amount earlier this Summer! I’ll be putting in more spinach for Wifey!

Thinking of putting in some raised beds and a wood shed in part of the yard this Fall for next Spring.

posted on Aug, 16 2021 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Thoughtcrime

I definitely recommend raised beds as long as you have good soil to amend them with when they need it. It takes so much strain out of battling the soil, and it's way easier to prep in the spring/fall.

Black tomatoes are some of my favourites. Black trifele is also really good!

posted on Aug, 16 2021 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Squash, onions, carrots, potatoes and ex-neighbor for soil nutrients.

LOL! SSS - Shoot, Shovel, and Shut-up.

posted on Aug, 16 2021 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Northern europe here, just added a couple more strains of hops,

Had an amazing harvest of black/redcurrant, and purple gooseberries.

The best year for tomatoes in a long time.

Plum trees are filling up nicely, will soon be ready.

Sea buckthorn berries are coming along nicely.

Had a small test on cloudberries, they did not make it.

posted on Aug, 16 2021 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: XipeTotex

I love trying out weird berries! They never make it. 😂

Do you brew with your hops? We have "cascade" (?) hops here that grow by the train tracks randomly, but we've never picked them.

posted on Aug, 16 2021 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Thanks! Sound advice. This’ll be my first time trying raised beds. Haven’t had much success amending the soil for growing in-ground. And by the time I get around to weeding, the roots must come out somewhere in China! I’m guessing it’s WAY easier to weed raised beds.

And yes! Black tomatoes! Great taste, and this strain doesn’t ‘scald’ or blister. Haven’t had any issues with blight and they take a dry spell very well. Definitely going to plant them again!

posted on Aug, 16 2021 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Thoughtcrime

Raised beds are easier for weeds because it's a lot easier to heat treat the soil and keep them mulched!

posted on Aug, 17 2021 @ 02:58 AM
link   

a reply to: XipeTotex

I love trying out weird berries! They never make it. 😂

Do you brew with your hops? We have "cascade" (?) hops here that grow by the train tracks randomly, but we've never picked them.

Yeah, beer, mead, use it as a spice for beef and potatoes or bread.

Also i drink it as a tea in the evenings if i feel like i need some help to get some sleep.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 12:54 AM
link   
nothing because the deer always eat it, maybe i should take up deer hunting i could probably bag 2,000 pounds of venison just sitting in my bedroom window. they are everywhere like bugs.

posted on Aug, 18 2021 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: rsvpzxc

The deer hopped our deer fence. 8 feet tall!! And ate all our jalapeno plants, tomato leaves, just a crazy amount of stuff. This is the first year they've ever gotten over it.

We have a compound bow and I swear, some day when I know the neighbour is away... thwack.

top topics

join