It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Revive Tiny Animals Frozen for 24,000 Years In Arctic Permafrost

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Scientists Revive Tiny Animals Frozen for 24,000 Years In Arctic Permafrost

These little guys could even reproduce after all that time!!

Some 24,000 years ago, a group of microscopic animals called bdelloid rotifers became frozen into a layer of Siberian permafrost and entered a state of suspended animation. Now, in a microbial version of Encino Man, scientists have discovered that the ancient rotifers could not only be revived after their eon-spanning nap, they could also successfully produce offspring.

Wonders will never cease

The mind-boggling discovery “constitutes the longest reported case of rotifer survival in a frozen state” and “is of great interest not only for evolutionary biology but also for practical purposes of cryobiology and biotechnology,” according to a study published on Monday in Current Biology.

The dating looks pretty solid

The team used radiocarbon dating, along with the depth of the core layer, to estimate that this permafrost froze some 24,000 years ago, during an era when mammoths still wandered the Siberian wilderness. Microbes are not able to move vertically through ice or ice-cemented ground, according to the study, which means that these ancient organisms are as old as the permafrost they were found in.

This could be the start of serious deep space travel ambitions for real.

Unraveling the mysteries of cryobiosis in these tough creatures will shed light on their amazing abilities, but this research also has implications beyond the world of microbes. In science fiction, cryopreservation offers an opportunity for characters to dramatically extend their lifespans so that they can voyage across the universe and effectively travel through time. While these visions are a long way from reality, Malavin said that his team’s work with frozen microbes presents an exceptional opportunity to investigate the basic foundations of long-term cryopreservation in a human context.

HERES A LINK to the article, its only a 5 minute read.

Whaddya think of this ATS? Could be the start of some very interesting scientific studies

+9 more 
posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

what could possibly go wrong?

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 02:54 PM
link   
This is cool.
Hopefully they don't have to bury the site under a swingset while the black goo swims around their eyeballs.
I'll call Mulder.

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Hopefully, Bill Gates will soon open a new theme park called ROTIFER WORLD...where 21st century families can visit, walk among and observe long-extinct, microscopic organisms in their natural prehistoric environment.

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Horror movies predicting our future...

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Cue Zombie Apocalypse in 3. . . 2. . .

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 03:09 PM
link   

When these virology and biology “experts” were children their parents kept telling them not play with fire or they will get burned.

If they didn’t listen to their parents there is no hope for any of us now that they have their big boy pants on.

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Wow, that is really interesting!

I found this part to be interesting..

As the tiny aniamls were thawed back in the laboratory, many of them became active again, and astonishingly, some were able to asexual reproduce in a process called parthogenesis. A new generation of clone offspring were thereby brought into the world by parents 24,000 years older than them.

Thanks for sharing this article

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: SecretKnowledge

This could be the start of serious deep space travel ambitions for real.

Have we even perfected cryopreservation yet? Last i knew slow freeze ruptures cell membranes and cryoprotective agents introduce toxicity and have the potential for contamination.

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

No we havnt

Thats why i said it could be the start

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: CrazyBlueCat

Wow, that is really interesting!

I found this part to be interesting..
"As the tiny aniamls were thawed back in the laboratory, many of them became active again, and astonishingly, some were able to asexual reproduce in a process called parthogenesis. A new generation of clone offspring were thereby brought into the world by parents 24,000 years older than them."

Thanks for sharing this article.

Well, they've got Kenny Rogers beat for being old parents. The first thing I thought about when reading this was The Planet Of The Apes, where Charlton Heston opens the movie and his shipmates are in hibernation. This could seriously help space travel to faraway systems if it can be worked out.

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: NorthOfStuff

When these virology and biology “experts” were children their parents kept telling them not play with fire or they will get burned.

If they didn’t listen to their parents there is no hope for any of us now that they have their big boy pants on.

Thats one way of looking at it , glass half full kinda way.

No offence to you though

Thing is you don't progress without taking chances , What if Telsa and Edison didnt experiment because of fear for electricity.

Or Galileo Galilei dropped his research due to fear for the vatican.

Learning and discovering are wonderful things.

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Could you put people with organ failure in Cryo stasis ? until a Donor is available ?

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 05:14 PM
link   
The 'Moss Piglets' as they are colloquially named are already on the Moon due to some Israely craft crashing there earlier this year.

Link to BBC article with photo's of them

They are soooo cute!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TheGreazel

No offence taken!

I’m an engineer so the glass is always full of something. Half beer half air, all beer, all air

edit on 6 9 2021 by NorthOfStuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 07:55 PM
link   

After all the sci-fi novels I've read and movies I've seen....

I say do it.

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: TheGreazel

Better yet, can organs from donors be frozen for later use.

I'm thinking yes. As far as a human, I don't know. I would think psychologically it would be damaging.

posted on Jun, 9 2021 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Here's a picture of the star of the article;

Resilient little critters.

posted on Jun, 10 2021 @ 01:21 AM
link   
It is extraordinary and life finds a way,...

However, it would have been prudent to check with the rest of the world, before reviving them.

Like another said earlier..... What could go wrong?

edit on 10-6-2021 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Jun, 10 2021 @ 02:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheGreazel
Could you put people with organ failure in Cryo stasis ? until a Donor is available ?

I think this little fellers coming back to life as it were, could well be the start of 'deep sleep'.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join