It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baltimore will no longer prosecute drug possession, prostitution, low-level crimes

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Sure but you get what I mean though...how do you justify making the whole pay for the few when it's willing choices they made knowing the risk...

Well we do agree there...prison only stops some people, however there is a majority who will risk it depending on how they see the odds. I'll say it never stopped me but after over 15 years with no prison I pulled my bets down and went home on house money. Now I don't test that luck...

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 03:17 AM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

how do you justify making the whole pay for the few when it's willing choices they made knowing the risk

Costs, of the monetary sort.

Tell me, how much does it cost to incarcerate someone? Tell me, from where do those funds come?

edit on 3/28/2021 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 03:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax
a reply to: lostbook

What wonderful news. ‘Low-level crimes’ are committed, for the most part, out of desperate need by the poorest and weakest people in society --

Alternatively, low level crime is often committed by teenagers and people starting out in crime. Small things like drug possession and shop lifting which often act as a gateway to more serious crime.

Does anybody else remember NYC, and how they turned things around in a lot of bad neighborhoods by cracking down on the low level crime. Baltimore is talking about doing the exact opposite which was what got NYC into trouble in the first place.

Besides, the poor and the dispossessed are often the VICTIMS of these low level crimes. Imagine being a store keeper and being told that the teenage gangs victimising you aren't going to be prosecuted.

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

Imagine being a store keeper and being told that the teenage gangs victimising you aren't going to be prosecuted.

If you are victimized by the crime, that would be a bummer. But that isn't what is happening. If a junky robs you, they are still subject to prosecution for robbery. If they are caught holding, they aren't. There's a difference.

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: notquiteright

Where do they get the data to say there has been a reduction in these types of crimes? If the DA isn't going to prosecute, the cops aren't going to act on those crimes, thus no report. How would you truly know that there was an actual reduction?

The basic logic is flawed. If you took all the laws off the books, stop prosecuting and incarcerating anything, crime would be eliminated, gone overnight because there are no laws to define a crime. No laws = No Crimes. Murder, slavery, crimes of every type, would continue, even increase, but if they are no longer called crimes, all those crime statistics magically disappear.

However, there are crimes and victims of crimes. This is an objective truth, an absolute reality, to deny it would be to as idiotic as dening the laws of nature like gravity. The advice, "Go jump off a cliff" comes to mind.
edit on 28-3-2021 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: 20Eyes1974

I've known a few.
The threat of prison did not stop them from using drugs.

It was sarcasm. Sometimes hard to see in this medium.

I got the sarcasm.

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: MRinder

Baltimore sounds like a real utopia. It will be full of drug addicts and crack whores which of course they will blame on systemic racism. What a bunch a geniuses.

Crooked Congressman Elijah Cummings and his crooked Wife took millions of Federal dollars for their personal use and their friends, instead of fixing the city up. Remember how Baltimore was famous for RATS in the streets and a RAT in the mayor's office in 2019? I think she fled to Canada to escape prosecution.

The mayor or the rat?

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 09:08 AM
link   
It's proven to work in other countries like Portugal.

When personal possesion is treated as a health and addiction issue rather than a criminal one it causes a major decrease in drug use as more users quit under rehab programs. Criminalising the issue doesn't deal with the root causes, instead it leads to increased use and dependence as the person gains a record and falls further out of normal society or ability to get employed.

It also frees up police time and resources to go after the drug dealers, importers or people traffickers and pimps involved cutting off the supply much higher up the chain and reducing the availability of drugs.

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Ann Arbor Mich here too. Legal psychedelics, marijuana, and no prosecution of sex for $$ btwn adults.

'Bout time

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 09:24 AM
link   

This is going to bring back businesses, encourage start-ups, enable people to go to college and have STEM careers!

/sarc

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Another big city policy that helps the efforts to weaken jurisdictional police and make way for a National Military Mobil Police Force that can move from city to city "as needed" 👁️⭕👁️

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: RickyD

how do you justify making the whole pay for the few when it's willing choices they made knowing the risk

Costs, of the monetary sort.

Tell me, how much does it cost to incarcerate someone? Tell me, from where do those funds come?

Well yeah at least murder victims have only one short term set fee final expense 😎

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Does this mean the Baltimore "Nickel Ride" will now cost a quarter ? 😃

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 09:44 AM
link   
When you remove the incentive to encourage good behavior by enabling bad behavior you show that you don't want good behavior.

This never ends well.

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I figure in the next 4 years drugs that are illegal today will become a human right to the leftists and systemic racism and white supremacy will be the reason they aren't legal. Gotta pick up the stoner vote ya know.
edit on 28-3-2021 by MRinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Don't prosecute prostitution and I'm sure the human trafficking of underage girls for sex will also stop.

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
When you remove the incentive to encourage good behavior by enabling bad behavior you show that you don't want good behavior.

This never ends well.

Good behavior? What are you? Some kind of white supremacist?

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I just had a brilliant thought. If we just quit arresting people for crimes then there won't be any crime. They only commit crime because someone told them they couldn't.

If you want to end murder just stop arresting people for it and they will stop the murdering

This kind of thinking is going to make me the Mayor of Baltimore.

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: MRinder

That's how we all save the 2nd *AND* it's how we make leftists libertarians although in truth it just makes them depraved libertines. At first, they'll want to be saved from the consequences of their actions which is where libertines and libertarians part company.
edit on 28-3-2021 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

So what happens when a person is strung out on heroin and they are driving and pass out at the wheel and kill me? Am I going to magically come back to life?

Junkies do all kind of stupid sh!t, not just a little theft.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join