It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baltimore will no longer prosecute drug possession, prostitution, low-level crimes

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Wow! Who saw this coming? Baltimore will no longer prosecute for low level crimes like drug possession, prostitution, etc....
Oddly enough, according to the article, Baltimore has seen a reduction in these level crime(s) since induction of this program.

Jon Schuppe
Fri, March 26, 2021, 6:40 PM
A year ago, as the coronavirus began to spread across Maryland, Baltimore State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby stopped prosecuting drug possession, prostitution, minor traffic violations and other low-level offenses, a move aimed at curbing Covid-19's spread behind bars.

That shift — repeated by prosecutors in many other cities — didn’t just reduce jail populations. In Baltimore, nearly all categories of crime have since declined, confirming to Mosby what she and criminal justice experts have argued for years: Crackdowns on quality-of-life crimes are not necessary for stopping more serious crime.

Jon Schuppe
Fri, March 26, 2021, 6:40 PM
A year ago, as the coronavirus began to spread across Maryland, Baltimore State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby stopped prosecuting drug possession, prostitution, minor traffic violations and other low-level offenses, a move aimed at curbing Covid-19's spread behind bars.

That shift — repeated by prosecutors in many other cities — didn’t just reduce jail populations. In Baltimore, nearly all categories of crime have since declined, confirming to Mosby what she and criminal justice experts have argued for years: Crackdowns on quality-of-life crimes are not necessary for stopping more serious crime.

On Friday, Mosby announced that she was making her pandemic experiment permanent, saying Baltimore — for decades notorious for runaway violence and rough policing — had become a case study in criminal justice reform.

In the 12 months since she ordered scaled-back enforcement, violent crime is down 20 percent and property crime has declined 36 percent, she said. Homicides inched down, though Baltimore still has one of the highest homicide rates among cities nationwide. Researchers at Johns Hopkins University found sharp reductions in calls to police complaining about drugs and prostitution, she said.

“Clearly, the data suggest there is no public safety value in prosecuting low-level offenses,” Mosby said at a news conference.

Other cities are considering this type of action, however, it remains to be seen how this pans out in Baltimore. What does ATS think about this? Smart move? Or accident waiting to happen? What say you, ATS?

www.yahoo.com...

+9 more 
posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 12:29 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Baltimore sounds like a real utopia. It will be full of drug addicts and crack whores which of course they will blame on systemic racism. What a bunch a geniuses.

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 12:30 AM
link   

What wonderful news. ‘Low-level crimes’ are committed, for the most part, out of desperate need by the poorest and weakest people in society -- and overwhelmingly by minorities whom society never gave a fair chance to, anyway. This initiative (if it is being correctly reported) shows true compassion and social awareness.

Hats off to Baltimore!

edit on 28/3/21 by Astyanax because: of headgear

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: MRinder

It will be full of drug addicts and crack whores

Yeah. Because people don't use drugs when they can go to prison for it. This has been proven.

edit on 3/28/2021 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

whom society never gave a fair chance

Wait what?
I think you meant parents...right?

This is a great idea and should be done across the globe.
As well as allow them to work and expunge the permanent records on obvious morality laws.
The drug war didn't start with good intentions.
Actual racism started it.
Also overly represented by the poor.
Stuck in a trap.
edit on 3 by Mandroid7 because: Added2

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 12:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

What wonderful news. ‘Low-level crimes’ are committed, for the most part, out of desperate need by the poorest and weakest people in society -- and overwhelmingly by minorities whom society never gave a fair chance to, anyway. This initiative (if it is being correctly reported) shows true compassion and social awareness.

Hats off to Baltimore!

Well, the full effects remain to be seen, pretty sure this isn't a good recipe for business or residential growth in the cities. Especially if and when we get back to full capacity.

For example, we had a trade market in January, I've heard stories from these out-of-town accounts that the hotels were full of teenagers, etc, and more than a few said it felt kind of unsafe, all said it was a great big hassle. Even a few checked out early. Essentially all they were doing was loitering, but later on, it turned into street racing and constant noise, etc. all night long.

We had better find the right balance or businesses will leave the cities in droves.
edit on 28-3-2021 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 12:51 AM
link   
But more gun laws will prevent gun crimes?

Hypocrisy much?

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Where do they get the data to say there has been a reduction in these types of crimes? If the DA isn't going to prosecute, the cops aren't going to act on those crimes, thus no report. How would you truly know that there was an actual reduction?

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: notquiteright

If the DA isn't going to prosecute, the cops aren't going to act on those crimes, thus no report.
Obviously.

But the reduction in crime is not in drug prosecutions, not in prostitution.

violent crime is down 20 percent and property crime has declined 36 percent

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 12:57 AM
link   
i concur with the retarded guy.
civility was getting boring.

edit on 28-3-2021 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-3-2021 by Rikku because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Oddly enough, according to the article, Baltimore has seen a reduction in these level crime(s) since induction of this program.

Not odd. It’s what happens when you treat drug use and abuse as a health issue and not a crime. People get the help they need, the risk and cost to society and themselves is lessened to the user, and cops are free to go after actual crime.

It’s how things would work everywhere if it wasn’t for 100 years of lies being shoved down people’s throats.

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Ah, I see. Thanks. If true, I think that could be a good trade.

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Also consider that correlation does not imply causality.

All the data shows at this point is that the policy did not make criminality worse. Whether it is responsible for the improvement is another matter.

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Maybe because what you do with your body isn't a legit crime. Regardless of a greedy system.
..and quite frankly none of the governments business.
The whole system has massive mission creep.

If you steal, or etc to support your habit, buh by.
Addiction won't be solved by locking up people in crime college.
...where there is also drugs

The only answer to me is subsidized(hear me out)mental health treatment centers, combined with actual drug awareness for children in health class.
I'm not talking DARE class. I'm talking actual shock reality.
This may sound harsh, but similar to the bloody dead bodies we saw from drunk driving while in drivers ed.
You need to make a real impression.
Exmpl...A real video of abuse. A real video of a family's fight to keep a dying drunk alive.
Meth users losing teeth, rubbing, killing people.
..aka REAL consequences in a real world.
Start in grade school..get real about it freshman year hs.

edit on 3 by Mandroid7 because: Sp

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Yeah, those VD movies in high school kept us virgins for like, forever. And none of my peers every drove while drunk.

Just say no.

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 01:16 AM
link   

So, instead, just run THE PURGE every year or so, right ?

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 01:18 AM
link   
You obviously dont know many addicts. Where ever you learned this it is blatantly false.

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: 20Eyes1974

I've known a few.
The threat of prison did not stop them from using drugs.

It was sarcasm. Sometimes hard to see in this medium.

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 01:22 AM
link   

Lol. I know all about being stupid, I was a pro.
My Highschool was like a bad psychedelic experiment.
Point is, real consequences were never taught when I was in school.
Drugs r bad umkay! Doesn't really help and illegal is an invitation for the natural rebels.

A good smack in the face with reality is all I'm saying.
I mean the shows are already everywhere, like Intervention.
They wouldn't even need to mess with a new curriculum.

I still support serious contributing to minors type of charges as well.
I'll be dealing with this stuff soon. I hope we can change things.

posted on Mar, 28 2021 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

A good smack in the face with reality is all I'm saying.

It doesn't work is what I'm saying. Reefer Madness didn't stop no one, no how. Pictures of venereal warts didn't stop no one from screwing.

You can't make a gay straight and you can't stop an addict from becoming an addict.

Just say no don't do nothin'.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join