It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Pushes for Federal Review of Schiavo

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Congress Pushes for Federal Review of Schiavo
Saturday, March 19, 2005

WASHINGTON — Congressional leaders hoped a deal reached Saturday would clear the way for a brain-damaged woman to resume being fed while a federal court reviews the right-to-die battle between her parents and her husband.

"We think we have found a solution" to the Terri Schiavo case, House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (search), R-Texas, said at a Capitol Hill (search) news conference.

"We are confident this compromise addresses everyone's concerns, we are confident it will provide Mrs. Schiavo a clear and appropriate avenue for appeal in federal court, and most importantly, we are confident this compromise will restore nutrition and hydration to Mrs. Schiavo as long as that appeal endures," he said.

Final approval was hoped for Sunday when the House planned to meet in a special session, he said. The Senate intended to meet Saturday evening on the matter.

President Bush (search) was expected to sign the bill as soon as it gets to him.

All is not lost

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

All is not lost

You and the rest of the Kleenex grabbing suckers have no idea what you're about to lose.

Welcome to the game. You just got played.

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Rant, I'm not politisizing this whole ordeal. Should i be?

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Congress directly represents the people. So if people are demanding something be done about starving this woman, what is wrong with that?

Most judges are appointed, Congressmen and Senators are elected by the people.

The issue is not Congress vs Judges, the issue is starvation.

If Terri is allowed to starve, I propose the same penalty for death row inmates.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT

All is not lost

You and the rest of the Kleenex grabbing suckers have no idea what you're about to lose.

Really why don't you enlighten us then... I see a woman who is aware(but in a Vegatative state) who is starving to death as we all speak right now. How is that Humane...

It's not like she is in a Coma you know, she is like a retarded female version of Christopher Reeve...

[edit on 20-3-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
See, the problem that only a few people see, is that this isn't what 'the people' want, it's just what you people want. 2/3 of the country couldn't care less whether or not this woman dies.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
See, the problem that only a few people see, is that this isn't what 'the people' want, it's just what you people want. 2/3 of the country couldn't care less whether or not this woman dies.

FYI I support the "Right to Die" but it has to be either on Video or in Writing in a Will. Terri only has one person who supposedly witnessed her saying she would want to die if put in a situation like this, her Husband. It's His word against her Families word.

With that said, I was in the same camp as both Rant and WyrdeOne, what changed? I saw a single video proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that she is still aware.

[edit on 20-3-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
Congress directly represents the people. So if people are demanding something be done about starving this woman, what is wrong with that?

Okay. Then current polling of the people says 87% in that situation would want to be allowed to die, and even after all the bang drumming and media circus you've still only wedged together 25% in the Schiavo distraction that say the parents should get control.

65% of the people agree with the husband, the rule of law, and every consistent court ruling over the past 15 year case.

I agree. Congress should represent the people. Not this squeaky wheel contingent trying to overturn the will of the people, the rule of law and all kinds of medical privacy issues to which the people will be suffering the fallout of some "Schiavo's Law" for years to come.

You may personally be thrilled anyone off the street can step in and supercede your rights to demand court circumvent to "speak for the voiceless" but I'm not buying it, nor should the people.

This is being used by that other minority of the people that seek to overturn Roe v. Wade, in the initial phase of a conspiracy against democracy to hand over medical privacy to outside government arbitration.

Any real conservative, libertarian or liberal with more brains than emotion, would see this neo-con snow job a mile away.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Most judges are appointed, Congressmen and Senators are elected by the people.

The issue is not Congress vs Judges, the issue is starvation.

If Terri is allowed to starve, I propose the same penalty for death row inmates.

So what you are saying that since 8% want something congress should give it to them?

That is hardly the way it should work. The majority feel that she should not be kept alive.

All they have done is open up another big can of worms that everyone will suffer from for years to come. The US supreme court ruled in 1993 that issues such as this should be settled at the state level in case you do not know that little fact.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000

Originally posted by RANT

All is not lost

Really why don't you enlighten us then... I see a woman...

And that's all you see. Not the big picture. That's the distraction. That's the manipulation. You're being herded toward a political agenda.

Nobody even sees it coming. Where's the damn silent majority here? I'm sick of these squeaky wheels determining the discussion, framing the issues and controlling our future with these side shows.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Yeah, but it's not about popularity. It's about doing what's right. Starving this woman to death isn't right. I don't really care what the other 2/3 of the country want. That's their issue, and they can protest their opinion just as easily as the rest of us (or not, if that's their choice).

Personally, I couldn't give a damn if I'm "being played". I don't decide my stance on a issue by general consensus.

Is the outcome of this going to open up a huge can of worms? You bet. But you know what, we'll figure that out when it comes. We've faced more difficult challenges and come out better for it.

This is about emotion, humanity, and love....not politics.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Partyof1
This is about emotion...

And that's precisely the problem. This should be about law.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Partyof1
This is about emotion...

And that's precisely the problem. This should be about law.

Perhaps. But that "problem" seems to be yours. I'm in support of this, so the problem clearly isn't mine.

Sometimes humanity and love trump law. This is one of those times.

"They" can play me like a fine tuned violin for all I care. It's in not standing up for what you personally believe in that makes you one of the "herd".

-Party of One

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Transcript from a Larry king Live show

KING: Out of the malpractice?

SCHIAVO: Out of the malpractice suit. Then he argued with me for a little while. And then he pointed at Terri in the wheelchair and says, How much am I going to get from her money?

And I said, you have to go talk to the courts about that.

KING: She got money, too?

SCHIAVO: Yes, Terri got money.

KING: OK.

FELOS: Terri got the bulk of the money.

KING: OK, which was used for her rehab and for her medical expenses?

FELOS: Medical expenses.

SCHIAVO: From there, it blew up. He wanted to go out in the hall and have a fist fight. It was crazy. It was ludicrous.

KING: Did this shock you?

SCHIAVO: No, because he's always wanted the money. He always wanted money out of this. He even testified in the first trial that he was angry that he didn't get any money.

KING: And what about her mom?

SCHIAVO: Her mom kind of just stood between us. She yelled at me not to do this, don't do this. They stormed out of the nursing home. And from then, they tried to sue me numerous times to have me removed as guardian. And from then, they really basically didn't have any care with Terri. They hardly showed up to see Terri. Their main concern to me was the father was angry because he didn't get any money.

It's all about Money

You have all been duped it is plan and simple.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Thats entirely meaningless. The people have no business telling the two schiavos what to do.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Well said Carseller4 and if the Rupublicans can't keep her alive, they don't deserve to wear the title of Republican. Stinkin Democrats, I heard most of them did'nt even show up for the vote when this was on the Senate floor.

A buncha trial lawyers is what they are!! They would fight like Hell for a child-murders rights and than turn around and pull a living persons life tube while their still breathing.

As Michael Savage says in his upcoming best-seller, Liberalism is a Mental Disorder.

Maximu§

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by LA_Maximus
Stinkin Democrats..
Liberalism is a Mental Disorder.
Maximu§

I think the mental disorder's all yours buddy. This is a clear sign that you have been bought, paid for, and deployed. Welcome to the great game, you are the little man in front of the king, making sure the bishop can't force mate on third move.

:slipping on to your plane of reality for a moment: Doesn't it bother you even a little bit that the Republicans in office today bear absolutely no resemblance to the roots of the Republican party, or the principles for which conservatives are supposed to stand? Does it even matter what a Republican is, since most of your ilk are just suckers for the cult of personality? Nah, course not.

:bouncing back: "..trying to keep Western civilization on a need to know basis. Well you need to know that this is the game, and we're being betrayed and played in the worst way."
-canibus

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
No ones bought me lately WyrdeOne, as I only have $45 in my wallet! Also Im not a cheerleader for the Republicans, cause they make me mad sometimes (shooting down minimum wage increase 2 weeks ago), but for this issue the Republicans need flex to their muscles and put the ghouls in their place.

Her parents and immediate family want her alive.....don't they count?

Maximu§

[edit on 023131p://000 by LA_Maximus]

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by LA_Maximus
Well said Carseller4 and if the Rupublicans can't keep her alive, they don't deserve to wear the title of Republican. Stinkin Democrats

The republican's who voted for this are voting against terri schiavo. They are surpressing her civil rights by denying her legitimate and binding living will.

Her parents and immediate family want her alive.....don't they count?

No. They do not count. Schiavo is a grown woman. She is not their property. They have absolutely no say in the matter what so ever. There are only two issues. Did she have a binding living will? Is she a vegatable? The will, tho based on an oral agreement and unwitnessed, is completely legally binding. None of the courts have concluded that it is not. And is she a vegetable? Yes. Undoubtedly. It doesn't matter that her parents think about her 'responding'. She isn't responding. Her brain is inactive. She is in a 'persistent vegatative state'. All the requierments for removing the life supporting feeding tubes are met, thouroughly. The parents (who's case is wrong but certainly understandable and I think everyone can sympathize with them), and disgusting politicians who have tried to stop the removal of the tubes are clearly in the wrong.

posted on Mar, 20 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
If Republicans are so pro-life, then why have 1500 Americans died in a senseless war in Iraq? Insane.

And as for this woman, put yourself in her shoes, would you for one moment like to live like that? Death would be a release, not an ending.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join