It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Infamous Plastic Cutting Board In the Oven

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Has anyone ever forgot they put their plastic cutting board in their oven? I did, just tonight.

I preheated my oven to 415F. Next thing noticed (about 10 minutes later) while sitting on my comfortable couch is this weird smell coming from the kitchen. So, I got up to check it out, opened my oven door to see a completely melted plastic cutting board dripping from the racks. I just watched in amazement at first, how the plastic dripped in a firey rain shaped drops, hitting the bottom my oven. It was quite interesting to be honest.

A puddle of plastic on fire on the bottom of my oven, being feed by drops of firey rain shaped plastic oozing down from the oven racks. An interesting night indeed lol.

This should be fun trying to clean up.
edit on 13-12-2020 by CopeLongCut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 08:18 PM
link   
My parents used to use the oven compartment when moving as place to pack stuff.

We had just moved and my mom had forgotten that she had packed a bunch of legacy Tupperware into the oven. It had a been long day unpacking, and she was trying to get us all fed. She turned on the oven to preheat, and we were all nearly gased out of the house by the toxic smoke that poured out of the oven from the melting/burning Tupperware.

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 08:26 PM
link   
My eyes still burn from the fumes. I can't imagine a whole oven full.a reply to: ketsuko

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: CopeLongCut

Awesome

Let's see my 2 biggest kitchen shames have been putting a frozen pizza in the oven with the cardboard support directly on the rack--And putting a plastic strainer/ colander back over a big pot but forgot to turn the burner off.

Bonus: When I was a kid my mom had a bowl of crisco sitting out. I dipped my finger in and licked it off thinking it was cake icing.

edit on 13-12-2020 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 08:28 PM
link   

I just watched in amazement at first, how the plastic dripped in a firey rain shaped drops, hitting the bottom my oven. It was quite interesting to be honest.

We used to hang an empty 6 pack holder in a tree and light it, the noise is cool too.

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 08:35 PM
link   
mmmmm Crisco cake icing lol.Good times.a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Before I was smart enough to know. I poured gas into a styrofom cup. Needless to say. I found out something new the next day.a reply to: LookingAtMars

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Throw it away. Just buy a new oven.

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I am sitting here with a knife trying to cut the hardened plastic off the oven racks. The easy part was scarping off the plastic from the bottom of my oven.a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: CopeLongCut
I am sitting here with a knife trying to cut the hardened plastic off the oven racks. The easy part was scarping off the plastic from the bottom of my oven.a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Oven rack

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 09:03 PM
link   

I honestly don’t understand why anyone would keep plastic in the oven.
It’s just an accident waiting to happen.

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Thanks for the suggestion
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 09:07 PM
link   
The accident happened. Learn from my fk up
a reply to: Bluntone22

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Haha, poor mom.

She was just trying to be wholesome and cook everyone dinner on a day where the last thing anyone wants to do is work of any kind...

And then it was time to figure out how to cleam the oven 😬

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Once upon a time I put a lovely oven pizza in a pre-heated. 200 degrees Celsius, 8 minutes.
The timer went off and I was greeted by an acrid smell.
To my disappointment I had put the pizza in the oven in such a hurry to get back to my online gaming, I had left it on the polystyrene base from the packaging.
I was so hungry I contemplated eating it.
After much googling it turns out that particular packaging releases harmful chemicals when heated which can impregnate the food it is in contact with.. though it didn't melt

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Wonder if you would of ever known about the harmful chemicals from the plastic they wrap around pizzas if you never accidentally did this?a reply to: L.A.B

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Gee, you must be young. We learned fifty years ago not to store anything plastic in the oven. Because you forget. A mistake is only a mistake if you do not learn from it, it is a learning experience.

Also, never put anything that can catch fire on the toaster or near the coffee pot.
edit on 13-12-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2020 @ 09:54 PM
link   
The best pot of coffee I've had was from a percolator. a reply to: rickymouse

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 02:58 AM
link   
It says it right on the box, but did I read it? Heck no! Who would read a warning label on a taco shell box?

Never try to heat taco shells in a toaster oven. Don't ask me how I know this!

Laying on the couch watching the game when I noticed this warming, flickeing, orange glow coming from the kitchen. Wait!!...I don't have a fireplace!!!!

Imagine the landlord's surprise when a flaming appliance comes sailing out of the kitchen window and lands in the snow in the yard!,

ETA - Oh, and my other fantastical kitchen trick was, one time I put some chicken livers, gizzards, heart and neck in a pot of water to boil them up for the dogs to eat. Put it on super low heat so I didn't have to worry about it right away. About 3am the next morning I smelled this funky smell in the bedroom. I elbowed the wife for pharting and rolled over. Shortly afterwards the smoke alarm in the kitchen went off. I leapt to my feet from my comatose state and dashed to the kitchen where I was met with a wall of smoke from a pot full of scorched blackened chicken guts! Queue the scene where the smoldering pot comes arcing out of the back door into the yard.
edit on 12/14/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2020 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

One of those very rare instances where you saw mom both in tears and heard her cuss.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join