It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we reply to the WOW! Signal?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: alfa015222

Cool thread, S&F but I just googled the Wow signal which was in the direction of Sagittarius which has at least 81 exoplanets...65,000+ light years away, do we have technology to communicate with anyone over there?

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Humans have unintentionally been sending primitive signals into space at the speed of light since the late 1800s. They have long since moved on from using radio bursts as a means to communicate over vast distances.

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 07:15 PM
link   
There’s that Very Large Array in New Mexico. People rarely know about. They move the dishes
On rail road tracks, it’s huge. Funny thing is isn’t not very far from a few well know UFO incidents. Socorro, Roswell, and white sands comes to mind. Isn’t it funny that’s all near Billy the Kid country too?

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Sure why not? What could possibly go wrong?

edit on 14-11-2020 by Ophiuchus1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: alfa015222
Do you think that we should reply to the WOW! Signal or not?

Please, no...

posted on Nov, 14 2020 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ophiuchus1

Sure why not? What could possibly go wrong?

Eh, I say go for it. New alien friends, new overlords from Deep Space, The Culling, who knows what might come of it.

Any of it's better than what 2020 turned out to be of our own devices.

posted on Nov, 15 2020 @ 03:19 AM
link   
The dark forest theory suggests a reason for the silence out there might be that ancient super predators snuff out the first trace of a civilization they find due to both not knowing the temperament of a new contact so needing to act before any trouble, as well as there possibly being limited resources in the universe... either way, the logical action would be to nullify the possible threat immediately juuuust in case.

Like the prisoner problem in game theory, etc.

Heck, there are isotopes matching artificial nuclear detonations on Mars. Maybe they said "hi" too, a long time ago?

I don't especially like that view of the universe and find it horrid, but admit that it could exist. We should probably shut up until we know more.

posted on Nov, 15 2020 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Baddogma
The dark forest theory suggests a reason for the silence out there might be that ancient super predators snuff out the first trace of a civilization they find due to both not knowing the temperament of a new contact so needing to act before any trouble, as well as there possibly being limited resources in the universe... We should probably shut up until we know more.

Kind of like weeds. A weed will try and take over, it will throw out as many seeds as possible and reproduce as quickly as it can. Cheat Grass comes to mind.

Need to prevent weeds from even showing up so we pre-treat the soil with herbicides.

posted on Nov, 15 2020 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: alfa015222

But there's no point going after inviting more UFOs to Planet earth, there are loads here already, we really don't need any more and who knows they might be not as understanding as the ones already here. What if they hungry for meat? Don't do it it's crazy

posted on Nov, 15 2020 @ 10:41 AM
link   

No, they are here already and may manipulate our response to make us think what they want us to think. They're good at that.

posted on Nov, 15 2020 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I thought the WOW signal was determined to be from a comet.

The team reports that radio signals from 266/P Christensen matched those from the Wow! signal 40 years ago. To verify their results, they tested readings from three other comets, as well, and found similar results. The researchers acknowledge that they cannot say with certainty that the Wow! signal was generated by 266/P Christensen, but they can say with relative assurance that it was generated by a comet....

phys.org...

Although there have been doubts raised by other scientists I am not sure what we'd be replying to.

posted on Nov, 15 2020 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I posted that fact but don't be hard on them . I miss the dream i hope they never lose it .
Humans are No were near ready for real encounters its sad we are not much more then primitive barbarians .

Our emotions rule us .

posted on Nov, 15 2020 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Hello,

I recently wrote a paper (which I present here youtu.be...) suggesting which star has the highest probability of being the source of the WOW! Signal.

Just recently, I viewed a movie titled The Beyond made in 2017. The movie is set in 2019. It’s beginnings has the WOW signal returning only to open a wormhole and what events happen after that..... the movie is quite interesting and done in a documentary style. It ties together some of what also has been mentioned on other threads about first contact etc... I recommend it where ever you can stream it from. I saw it on the Vudu streaming service for free. It’s available by others. For me, it’s a keeper of a What If scenario film, that has some aspects of possible truths.

edit on 15-11-2020 by Ophiuchus1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join