It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows XP Source Leaked on 4chan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 12:18 AM
link   
A lot of high profile source code leaks lately, Nintendo's had a bunch over the last couple months well now it's Microsoft's turn.

www.gizmodo.com.au...

[snipped]

On Thursday, users on 4chan posted what they claimed was the source code of Windows XP.

Posting an image of a screenshot allegedly of the source code in front of Window’s XP iconic Bliss background, one user wrote ‘sooooo Windows XP Source code leaked’. Another Redditor helpfully has uploaded the code as a torrent, assisting in its spread.

While there is no confirmation that this code is definitely Windows XP, independent researchers have begun to pick through the source code and believe it stands up to scrutiny

There’s a number of reasons why people would like to get their hands on the Windows XP source code.

Firstly, having the source code will allow anyone to create their own variations of Windows XP. Like if you had the recipe for a cake but you thought it was too sweet, this would allow you to change it to how you like it. You want to update XP so it can run with new hardware? Go for it.

[....]

It's kinda cool to get a glimpse of the inner workings of XP. Sadly the article is mistaken about this.code being usable in emulator projects or projects like ReactOS a binary compatible open souece windows alternative.

These type of projects already skirt a legal grey line in regards to reverse engineering laws.

Leaks like this, as with the Nintendo leaks, endanger open source emulators or compabitibility layers. Reverse engineering allows for
clean room implementations.

Essentially, anyone involved has to be able to prove they've never seen or had access to proprietary information that aided in the reverse engineering.

Meaning, anyone submitting patches to something like WINE or ReactOS needs to be careful not to. look at this leak.

edit on 28/9/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

edit on Mon Sep 28 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I'm against intellectual property as even a concept.

All ideas and knowledge belongs to Everyone. I share my knowledge because I care about the future of humanity.

Damn Bill Gates is a horrible human being.

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Stealing an idea...
Not possible.

If your brain can conceive it well its your idea now too fair and square.

I'm tired of the corruption of human kind.

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 02:18 AM
link   
And before anyone tells me how they earned this or that - no you didn't earn #.

All of what you have is a gift from God and can be taken away instantly ... You don't own anything not even yourself.

Worthiness and earning are illusions from the misconception that you somehow exercise "control".

If work = earned than well Hitler is justified because he worked real hard for it. Oh he was a thief? You're a thief too so stfu hypocrite.

All of you are intellectual thieves that stole and use others ideas daily and probably even believe you own those ideas and created them.

So... I recognize there is nothing unlawful or wrong with getting the XP source code and doing whatever you want with it. Or any code or design or invention.

How come so many technologies were improved and innovated upon for centuries? Probably because for 99% of human history up till very recently it was considered legal to use ideas freely, mix and match, etc - then profit from it.

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 02:38 AM
link   
By downloading this you might be committing a crime, so please don´t.

-MM

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 04:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

All of what you have is a gift from God and can be taken away instantly ... You don't own anything not even yourself.

Rofl. In a thread about tech you bring in god.
Please keep that fairytale to yourself, at least in threads about tech.

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: XCrycek

I'll say whatever I want.

You didn't even understand I was making a philosophical point and used that word very loosely for lack of better terminology to convey the concept succinctly.

In a thread about topic you ignored topic and took shots at what you thought was religion but was actually just a figure of speech.

Did you mention XP, the leak, intellectual property, Bill Gates or anything remotely related? No?

You thought you were so clever and yet you had no clue the nuances and proclivities of the one you came after.

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 05:38 AM
link   
It's been out in the wild for years already, trading among hackers in those circles.

This is both a good and a bad thing. Good because it allows us a greater understanding of Microsoft platform and possible insight to Windows 10 (i know it uses the same kind of kernel, i thinking).

Bad however because well, allows nefarious individuals a greater understanding of the Microsoft platform and possible insight to Windows 10 (i know it uses the same kind of kernel, i thinking). Windows XP is still ran on legacy equipment in business and the like.

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I wonder how many nefarious back doors are in Windows.

This could lead to Windows downfall.

This is a public release ... possibly ... to allow for outing MS's over reach.

Won't take long.

P

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358
I wonder how many nefarious back doors are in Windows.

This could lead to Windows downfall.

This is a public release ... possibly ... to allow for outing MS's over reach.

Won't take long.

P

Not by releasing a "Dark Ages" OS

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Where is RMS? You'll want him to do an analysis...lol

XP is no mystery. We know how it works..how all the APIs and DLLs are written...etc

No exploits from XP are useable now...unless you're hacking Grandmas Exchange Server...lol

edit on 9/28/2020 by MykeNukem because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 07:56 AM
link   

I'll tell you where the real elephant is.
In your pocket
Each and every automatic teller machine is using Win XP.
Will they be upgraded fast enough to counter the wide palette of hacking possibilities available now ?
Will they be upgraded at all ?

¯_(ツ)_/¯

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: trisvonbis

I'll tell you where the real elephant is.
In your pocket
Each and every automatic teller machine is using Win XP.
Will they be upgraded fast enough to counter the wide palette of hacking possibilities available now ?
Will they be upgraded at all ?

¯_(ツ)_/¯

We had to console into ATMs when I was a Tech...no remote connections and certainly no Wi-Fi...

XPs vulnerabilities and Code have been in the wild for a long time.

With new OSs come new vulnerabilities...it's a never ending game....

You can go get Linux Source Code all day long....it's still more secure than Windows....why is that?

Implementation....

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 08:20 AM
link   

And before anyone tells me how they earned this or that - no you didn't earn #.

Worthiness and earning are illusions from the misconception that you somehow exercise "control".

If work = earned than well Hitler is justified because he worked real hard for it. Oh he was a thief? You're a thief too so stfu hypocrite.

All of you are intellectual thieves that stole and use others ideas daily and probably even believe you own those ideas and created them.

So... I recognize there is nothing unlawful or wrong with getting the XP source code and doing whatever you want with it. Or any code or design or invention.

How come so many technologies were improved and innovated upon for centuries? Probably because for 99% of human history up till very recently it was considered legal to use ideas freely, mix and match, etc - then profit from it.

So what's your stance on China? 😅🙃

No need for mental gymnastics to get out of it, I know you meant technically, China is an exception. Wink wink.

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I wonder how many ATMs around the world are still on Windows XP?

Open season?

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: XCrycek

I agree with you!
Some despot dictator who made Slaves does Not own us.
we left him/IT when he kick't us out of his Sick garden.

Even his Best angel morning star try'd to stop his Sick rule.
Now That says a lot when his best see what he is doing and rise against him.
just how many did he slaughter? that did some thing he did not like?
psychopathic despot.

and why dose he need all the people?
Becuse He/it gets Power from worship!
He is a Parasite.

posted on Sep, 28 2020 @ 01:42 PM
link   
The source code leaks interesting but for the spooks all around the world they get full access to the source code anyway so there won't be any simple exploits knocking around as if the NSA popped in a simple one the Russians would spot it a mile away.

There could be plenty of interest in exploiting the code to see how some of the more core sections are written as quite often things like font handlers have been used and abused as it is very hard to change how certain parts work without breaking compatability and thats a big seller for MS in the corporate world that their 20 year old thing designed to run on W95/98 can still work.

Have seen that a few people have had a skim through and they've found some quite interesting comments in the code showing how much bodging and scarpering done just to get something to play ball.

posted on Sep, 30 2020 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Be better if it was "Denuvo Anti-Tamper" source code leaked.

To many versions all the same.

join