It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you think kids should do chores for their allowance?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I don't have any kids but I know some who do. The going rate for allowance money given to teens I believe is approx. $100-$200 per week.

Teens are definitely old enough to do many chores like babysit their younger siblings, clean their room, mow the lawn etc.

I believe they should do regular chores for their $100-$200 per week their parents give them for their personal expenses (not including necessities which the parents are responsible for taking care of).

What do you think?

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I think if you can afford to give that to your kids then good for you.

I dont know how many families can give thier kids 100 a week.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
I think if you can afford to give that to your kids then good for you.

I dont know how many families can give thier kids 100 a week.

Yeah, that's a shocking figure! When I was a teen, if I wanted some spending money, I had to go out and earn it; as a paper-boy in my early teens, and working on building sites during school holidays when i was a bit older.

i think its down to individual families how they administer pocket money or allowance, but I suppose its ultimately better in the long-run if kids are taught the value of money.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 08:06 AM
link   
It really is alot, at 100 bucks a week. Its 5 grand a year 1/8 of an average income family's income a year.

Thats with only one kid!

[edit on 15-3-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
It really is alot, at 100 bucks a week. Its 5 grand a year 1/8 of an average income family's income a year.

Thats with only one kid!

[edit on 15-3-2005 by SpittinCobra]

True. Thats probably more than most parents could afford. Besides that, what mindset does such a regular handout impose in these kids, other that they come to expect something for nothing in life?

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 08:42 AM
link   
where in the world do you live... $100 a week...

I have a daughter who is 12 years old... she gets $20 per month and that's only if she helps her mom with the dishes, keeps her room clean, etc.

She gets bonuses for bringing home good grades and for keeping out of trouble at school... etc.

When I was 16, I was lucky to get $5-10 per week...
that was in the 80's...

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Exactly elevatedone. In order for the kids to respect money, they need to do chores for their money.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Hell yeah kids should earn their allowance. They should learn the value of money and the fact that you have to work for it to earn it. When I was growing up I used to do a bit of everything. I would mow the lawn, take care of my younger brother and sister, help my mom cook and clean around the house, fix stuff that got broken, etc......

I learned some pretty valuable skills doing that, I became an excellent handy man since I learned to fix almost anything. I learned how to cook and clean. Along with many other things. I used to get like $20 a week.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Hey Ocelot, you were worth $100 per week easy.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by sen5e
Hey Ocelot, you were worth $100 per week easy.

LOL I wish I would have gotten $100 a week.

But knowing me I probably would have saved $80 and spent 20.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Of course they should do chores!
They need to learn that you've got to work for your money, it just doesn't magically appear!

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Perhaps an unpopular view, but shouldn't children 'help out' the family because they are apart of it and not for monitary value? I know that kids need money, but should it really be considered a 'chore' to be a contributing member of the family.

My problem is the questionible ethics that this creates in the child's development.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I understand where you're coming from but I think the purpose here is to acclimatize kids to the real world ahead of time in a relatively simple & easy way.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
Perhaps an unpopular view, but shouldn't children 'help out' the family because they are apart of it and not for monitary value? I know that kids need money, but should it really be considered a 'chore' to be a contributing member of the family.

My problem is the questionible ethics that this creates in the child's development.

Maybe it shouldn't be considered a 'chore', but that's exactly what it is, whether its mom, dad, child, or whoever doing it. The way I see it, it's something they should be doing regardless, like you say, helping out. By having them do chores as a requirement for an allowance they're helping out, while also learning they will have to work for their money in the future.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by sen5e
I understand where you're coming from but I think the purpose here is to acclimatize kids to the real world ahead of time in a relatively simple & easy way.

Don't get me wrong as I agree with you. I am simply pondering the cost to traditional 'family' life. We (in America) are raised to thrive in an enviornment of capitalizm. However on the path to that it seems that the closeness of the family group is lessening. Is it worth it? That is all I am posing.

Personally I have seen people in general place the desire for money over family ties during the past 30 years that I have been alive. When I was younger I recall the entire family gettin together several times a year just to be together. However these days the only time that family members converse is at a funeral because they do not care to take time away from their jobs. Is it worth it?

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
the only way my kid would get $100-$200 a week is if i was using them as part of a prostitution business. or perhaps if i was bedridden and the kid took care of me constantly.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jonna
Don't get me wrong as I agree with you. I am simply pondering the cost to traditional 'family' life. We (in America) are raised to thrive in an enviornment of capitalizm. However on the path to that it seems that the closeness of the family group is lessening. Is it worth it? That is all I am posing.

Teaching kids the responsibility of money is only one aspect of many other things that need to be taught. One of those other things of course is family values.

I did not intend money values to be all inclusive.

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   
hey i did shores and HAD NO allowance...kids are spoilled today... you goota do stuff at home, not just sit around all day playing video games... i didnt die for not getting allowance...in fact it only made me be more thankfull for my money when i got a job ...

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaastetNoir
hey i did shores and HAD NO allowance...kids are spoilled today... you goota do stuff at home, not just sit around all day playing video games... i didnt die for not getting allowance...in fact it only made me be more thankfull for my money when i got a job ...

I was not given any allowance either............was told by my old man that if I wanted money I would have to go out and earn it.

As for doing chores, he used to say okay if you dont help out fine.............find your own place to live..............so I helped out !!

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I do chores, without getting allowance. 100 dollars a week??? i wish!!! wow. I've worked for min wage in the summer since I was 13, pollinating and topping corn. Thats the extent of my income. However, if I needsomething, my parents usually get it for me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join