It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you think kids should do chores for their allowance?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
100 a week!?!?!?!?!? That's crazy.... I don't have an allowance I just get some money for this and that but by the end of the year if I saved up I'd have around 1,000 dollars and that's not just money from my parents.

[edit on 15-3-2005 by cpr12r]

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sen5e
I understand where you're coming from but I think the purpose here is to acclimatize kids to the real world ahead of time in a relatively simple & easy way.

my humble opinion on this matter... by giving a child $100/week allowance, you wont be aclimatizing them to the real world, because 1 in every 1000 kids (maybe) gets that ammount of money... my opinion is kids really dont need an allowance till they get to be like 16, and even then... i mean they leave at the parents house...whatever they need they should ask... but thats just me... maybe its how i was raised, im 29 but i was raised "old-school" i guess... my dad was (retired now) a military, and his motto was " you will do chores and you will love it "...lol

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by BaastetNoir

my humble opinion on this matter... by giving a child $100/week allowance, you wont be aclimatizing them to the real world, because 1 in every 1000 kids (maybe) gets that ammount of money... my opinion is kids really dont need an allowance till they get to be like 16, and even then... i mean they leave at the parents house...whatever they need they should ask... but thats just me... maybe its how i was raised, im 29 but i was raised "old-school" i guess... my dad was (retired now) a military, and his motto was " you will do chores and you will love it "...lol

Kids don't need an allowance until they're 16? They need an allowance until they're 16! Before that age, you can't work at any job, except for maybe a paper route. If they're helping around the house doing little chores like sweeping, setting the table, cleaning their room, etc. then they will learn how to earn money on their own.

But unless they already work at a paper route or other job that allows young kids, they need an allowance.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by diehard_democrat

Kids don't need an allowance until they're 16? They need an allowance until they're 16! Before that age, you can't work at any job, except for maybe a paper route. If they're helping around the house doing little chores like sweeping, setting the table, cleaning their room, etc. then they will learn how to earn money on their own.

But unless they already work at a paper route or other job that allows young kids, they need an allowance.

ok, what the heck does any kid need an allowance for ??? arent the parents there to get them what they need? i had no allowance and manage very well... i didnt die because of it ??

i mean parents pay for electrics, water, gas, clothes, food, all the things NEEDED, so what exactly do you need an allowance for ??? specially $100 ...

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
My boys ages 6 and 8 started getting allowance this year. I decided to go the allowance route, because they always want something and this way I can teach them to save their money for what they want. They in return have to make their beds and clean up after themselves that's all. They get paid $2 a week. They both have about $15 saved right now, they both got some yu-gi-oh crap the other day.

and btw when they get older, the list of chores will increase, but I don't think I will ever go more than $20 a week when comes to allowance and that even when they are teenagers...but who know by then, $20 might not be worth much.

[edit on 3-16-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   

ok, what the heck does any kid need an allowance for ??? arent the parents there to get them what they need? i had no allowance and manage very well... i didnt die because of it ??

i mean parents pay for electrics, water, gas, clothes, food, all the things NEEDED, so what exactly do you need an allowance for ??? specially $100 ...

First off, no kid will ever deserve to get $100 for doing household chores, until inflation takes over. And secondly, children will never learn how to manage money on their own if parents always just buy the things they want for them. How do you expect the future to handle the economy if they hit it like a brick wall, and have to start from square one?

I am proud of worldwatcher for giving his/her kids an allowance.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
100 DOLLARS A WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I do chores and have an after school job, and I can barely make 80 dollars on that. Kids should work to learn not to earn. They have to know the real value of $100. Which is like 20 or so hours a week flippin burgers and even then youll only have 20 by the time the government gets done wth it.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vegemite
... Kids should work to learn not to earn. ...

Very well said, Vegemite.

I don't make any money at all. I have no allowance, and I'm going to try for a job at McDonalds once I'm 15 (I'm 14 now).

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 06:36 AM
link   
From my own personal observations, the $100-$200 per week is a great motivator for kids.

You see, when they know at some point in their life they will no longer be receiving the allowance, this gives them motivation to do well in school & seek high career goals so they can maintain the standard of living they're were use to at home.

Kudos to worldwatcher. You just solved your problem of having lazy kids.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Let me take a poll, everyone that has posted, Can you afford to give A child $100 a week, 5200 a year?

Add in second child or third............. If you posted and you have no kids pretennd you have one.

Are you still going to provide food and clothing to said child?

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Very disrespectful indeed, hijacking my thread.

This is suppose to be about allowances in general.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Very disrespectful indeed, hijacking my thread.

This is suppose to be about allowances in general.

It is not, the post is anout give kids 100-200 a week for chores.

If a mod tells me I am off topic, I will say im wrong.

[edit on 17-3-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   
The title of the thread:

No matter. If you wish to keep my thread alive your way, I give you permission.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   

The title of the thread:

No matter. If you wish to keep my thread alive your way, I give you permission.

That is what the title has in it.. So your post has nothing to do with the thread?

Are you going to answer my question? On your income can you afford to pay a teen 100-200 week, 5200-10400 year a year?

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Kids should do chores no matter what, builds character and responsibility. If they get an allowance, its a bonus.

My son isn’t old enough yet, but we will certainly bring him up doing lots of chores and getting an allowance, but the allowance will have nothing to do with his chores.

The allowance will be for good grades and a reward for good behavior.

Its funny, I may sound like a hard a$$ but I am not. Me and my son are going to goof off plenty, drive the wife nuts. But the cost of goofing off and any $$ I give him is great performance where it counts: Education and respect.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I'm the other way around, I give rewards (movies, amusement park, let them pick a toy at my expense) for bring home a good report card.

The allowance is for work. They both started washing dishes, so now I am considering upping the allowance to $2.50 or $3.00 if I can find a few more chores that they can both do. This money is for all the "I want" that happens in between birthdays and other occassions where they get gifts.

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Let me take a poll, everyone that has posted, Can you afford to give A child $100 a week, 5200 a year?

Add in second child or third............. If you posted and you have no kids pretennd you have one.

Are you still going to provide food and clothing to said child?

No, not really, that's $400 a month, a car payment, a small house payment... I'll bet that a lot of people can't even afford $10 per week, that $40 per month means a lot to people...

Someone mentioned ... kids should learn and not earn... we'll with my daughter, we do give her money for getting good grades...

A's on report cards are worth $5 each.... she had some trouble spelling, so on her spelling tests, any test that she improved on from the last, she would get a couple of bucks...

posted on Mar, 17 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Why yes, kids should do chores. It teaches them about responsibly earning money by doing things instead of sitting there hoping to get handouts.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join