It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snakes, lets talk about it.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

Clicked on to your thread as I have a terrified fascination of snakes.......

Reading the posts gave me the creeps, and thank you, tonight I will probably

have night mares.

I think if one touched me I would die of fear.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: mamabeth

Reptiles get the job done quickly..

Compared to mammals.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Yeah tell me about it.

Every time I see one in the water from a distance, I grab the shotgun and hope it's not a moccasin.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 06:20 PM
link   

There are few wild snakes in Canada, so people are more freaked out when it comes to them from talking to co-workers.

I love the snek-bois. Spent my childhood catching Bull and Hog-nose snakes back in New Mexico. They make great pets though I always let them go. We had a nest of rattlesnakes behind our house. Never deterred me from going back there, but I did avoid the abandoned car where they lived.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
a reply to: mousse7714

One was posted here on ATS a few years ago.I did
watch a couple of others because I was trying to
wrap my head around the fact that snakes need to
eat too.The snake had no malice towards their prey
and dispatched them rather quickly.It was a little
comforting to know the animals didn't suffer very long.

I can't say the same thing about some people who like
to do very bad things to small animals.The snake would
be more humane then the sick human.

Most snakes will..if trained, eat previously frozen food. Less traumatic for all involved.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

I have done frozen food and fresh killed, we used to put a rat in a pillow case and smack him off the floor and then present him with the food, pythons are picky, it took me about 6 months before i got a meal into him, I had to do live food, mojo was a bit of a prick.

Pythons fast for about 18 months and they are fussy eaters.

I used to have to smack him in the nose to get him to eat....he didn't like it but, i got him to eat.
edit on 13-7-2020 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 07:48 PM
link   

I drove into a flood water just outside of a palm oil plantation about 70 km south of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia one morning in my Land Rover. I had 3 Canadian bank executives with me who freaked out (it had rained the night before, and most people don't understand the term "rain" when it comes to SE Asia).

The water was about 3 feet deep, and this one guy completely freaked out. He was going to bail, and opened the door.

I screamed at him to shut the door; he didn't understand why.

When he shut the door I pointed to literally hundreds of hooded cobras at the water's edge! They were all striking at my rover.

You see, the natives breed and place cobras in the palm oil plantations to kill the rats who eat the palm oil fruit. But when it rains, cobras don't like the water, so they swim to the edges of the flooded areas. Get out of a vehicle in a flooded area near the bank and...you're DEAD!

I've got pictures of the thousands of snakes that day. Serious stuff.

So, not all snakes are nice, BUT....

All our bullsnakes around here are welcome!

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Pics are welcome.
Upload what you have.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Cobras work on movement, if you are smart, you won't get bit.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Snakes are dangerous to humans as well as other prey, especially Boas. They are very proficient hunters.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 08:21 PM
link   
What the hell ever happened with that dude who built a suit, intending to get swallowed by an Anaconda?

Here we go! I'm still quite sceptical
www.theloop.ca...
edit on 13-7-2020 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Snakes are cool.

There are supposedly not any breeding populations in Hawaii. I'm ok with that.

But I have my doubts about it. People sneak them in as pets and they get out, or are released. A fairly good sized boa was found in a forest by hunters last month. It only takes two and the climate is pretty damn nice. Yet another invasive species for the island.

edit on 7/13/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: eManym

Snakes are dangerous to humans

Thats your perception, thats not reality.
I can play with them all day long while you have fear and are scared.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

We need to respect things, not fear things.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Like I said, snakes are cool. In their place. There is no cold season here, there are no predators here.

They have devastated the ecology of Guam.
www.sciencealert.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Talking Snakes started the entire problem did it not?

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Snakes are cool.

There are supposedly not any breeding populations in Hawaii. I'm ok with that.

But I have my doubts about it. People sneak them in as pets and they get out, or are released. A fairly good sized boa was found in a forest by hunters last month. It only takes two and the climate is pretty damn nice. Yet another invasive species for the island.

Maybe the snakes will take care of the feral pig problem in the Hawaiiian Islands. Also, pigs like to eat snakes. They are good at rooting them out and are immune to the bites from poisonous snakes. This could make the populations balance out.
edit on 13-7-2020 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 09:58 PM
link   

There are feral pigs on Guam.

Invasive species are called that for a reason.

posted on Jul, 13 2020 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

Snakes are dangerous to humans

Thats your perception, thats not reality.
I can play with them all day long while you have fear and are scared.

I don't fear snakes. All it takes is a little common sense when around them such as hearing a rattler while hiking. Best to head in another direction. I surely wouldn't go wading around in the everglades. A very large python or anaconda could strike and have someone coiled up faster than they could react.

Also, I wouldn't go to sleep with a large snake freely moving around in my area.

posted on Jul, 14 2020 @ 01:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Actually, for every rattler you see, there are probably a few dozen you didn't see that just hurried out of your way. They're actually the least dangerous poison snake we have; a rattler will warn you before it decides it has to strike, and if given half a chance it will run. Copperheads are the same way, but they don't have the early warning system.

Water moccasins, now... that's a critter of a diff'rent color! I was fishing one day, about 100 yards off the blacktop through a dense wooded area. I found me a nice stump just off the bank and climbed on it to do some float fishing and relax. Fed a couple turtles, and I was about ready to just try somewhere else when I saw the moccasin. It was swimming straight for my stump. OK, he can have it; I'm not planning on staying here any more anyway. I get off and back to the bank, and now the moccasin is on the bank with me and still charging!

I grabbed a stick and started whacking while backing up. I wasn't doing a lot of good, and it was pretty plain by now that I was the target of the snake's aggression. About halfway through the trees, it suddenly stopped. I got a few yards between us and stopped myself, and we both just stared at each other for several minutes. My tackle box and rod were back at the water, and I was trying to figure out how to get Mr. Angry Snake to let me by to get them. Finally, he turned and started slithering back toward the water.

OK, now's my chance! I make a wide berth around him to get my tackle, but that apparently wasn't good enough. I would get to a certain point and he would turn and charge again. I would back off and he would stop, give me the evil eye for a while, then head back. We did this dance for at least an hour, until I realized that this was his property and he didn't like trespassers.

I had to wait until he got back in the water a ways before I got the chance to sneak in, grab my tackle, and high-tail it for the truck.

Damn moccasins are territorial and they ain't afraid of crap.

Now, black racers are cool... still solid black, but they'll actually play with you. Run at one and it will run away; run away from one and it will chase you. There's about a six footer lives out around my shop (every now and then I catch him inside). I let him be. As long as he's there, no rattler or copperhead will come around.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join