It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My ASL Rant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 06:30 PM
link   
That is right, American Sign Language.

Since March, I have been working at a big box store since losing all my fun gigs..my IA brothers and sisters get it.

We have a guy who is deaf.

I believe no one should work in silence.

He has started to teach me. I greeted him the other day, a short I (me) am dumb greeting.

Managment pulled me into the office and almost fired me. He came in and had to WRITE what happened and I was actually being a friend.

After 7 yrs there, you would think ONE manager or assistant manager would have learned the basics.

Anybody help me find free online courses to learn?

I am shoving it up their

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

look to your local community colleges. there are probably groups who meet that would love for you to join them to learn.

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 07:00 PM
link   

What did your management actually say to you? That seems pretty insane.

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Wait, ASL is about sign language and not IRC or yahoo chat?

Well I feel old, now.

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: a325nt

was thinking the same thing, though I haven't seen anyone use that In a long time... the days of chat rooms are behind us apparently..

posted on Jun, 9 2020 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Your employer is a ridiculous ass. ASLpro.com looks like something you'd find helpful.

As an aside, I was talking about this with my wife the other day. 2020 has got to be a real horror story for deaf and hard of hearing people who are proficient lip readers with all the mask wearing in public happening. I almost think there might even be grounds for a discrimination lawsuit in some places, considering the government and businesses have effectively neutralized an extremely commonly used disability coping mechanism with all of these mask mandates.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Looks like there are apps that can teach you the basics. Download an app and learn to sign

take this job and shove it
I ain't working here no more

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Your situation sounds quite unfair. I speak in ASL a bit but I'm always looking to learn.

Handspeak.com is a helpful resource. Good luck. It's always difficult learning languages.

Just know sign language is much more vague and you assume people know what you're getting at.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Check to see if there is a deaf Community Center in your area . There's one where I live and they teach classes and you can go there to practice sign language . There's also a really great book called A Basic Course in Sign Language. You can actually get the tutorials for that book on YouTube. a reply to: theatreboy

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheAlleghenyGentleman
take this job and shove it
I ain't working here no more

Not sure I'd advocate abandoning a steady paycheck over something like this, but it would be a great way to make sure his message is heard by the employer.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 02:07 AM
link   
33/m/TX

Lmao.

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Aslpro and handspeak are decent, but my personal favorite is lifeprint.com

Also, look up Bill Vicars on YouTube. He is an ASL teacher who broadcasts a LOT of his class stuff on YouTube. He's deaf, and it's pretty decent immersion. Bill Vicars also does the lifeprint website.

I think aslpro had thre biggest dictionary, but lifeprint tries to help clarify how words might be used differently than an English speaker might use them. He also dives gaudy deep into all the other subjects if the language apart from hand gestures which makes a huge difference.
edit on 10-6-2020 by filthyphilanthropist because: Auto spell mishap

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 05:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
a reply to: a325nt

was thinking the same thing, though I haven't seen anyone use that In a long time... the days of chat rooms are behind us apparently..

Behind you maybe... I mean freenode is still doing well, and many others are all online

posted on Jun, 10 2020 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Looks like Burdman has provided you some direction.

I want to say... GOOD on YOU!
Attaboy, and all that stuff.

Maybe your enthusiasm for ASL communication will be contagious among your co-workers! I hope so.

top topics

join