It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: U.S. Secretary of State Rules that Hong Kong Is No Longer Autonomous From China

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

The title is misleading at best.

He didn't 'rule' this, he simply acknowledged that this is the current state of affairs.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

It's part of an annual obligation. If Hong Kong is no longer a separate, self-governing entity, then it has big ramifications and the State Dept. makes that determination and passes it on to Congress. That is part of their legal requirement.

But if you think China is going to reverse their policy in the future and return Hong Kong back to its previous status now that they've imposed their own security rules on it, ... OK.

edit on 28-5-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 11:59 AM
link   
It is important to remember that Britain had to hand sovereignty of Hong Kong back to China, and that this occurred at midnight 30/31 July 1997. That is when China officially re-gained control of Hong Kong. Part of the handover deal was that Hong Kong would remain untouched in economic administration terms for at least 50 years, which meant China had agreed not to change things in Hong Kong until 2047. There is now an argument that states China are reneging on that agreement.

Currently, no one is at actual war with China at present, but through Chinese belligerence that might well change?

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: dantanna
in 1996, the people of hong kong were free, they had a chance to leave, they decided to stay.

Try telling that to a conservative California native.

I did. Once. Won't do it again. I received a very good education in response.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: elysiumfire
It is important to remember that Britain had to hand sovereignty of Hong Kong back to China, and that this occurred at midnight 30/31 July 1997. That is when China officially re-gained control of Hong Kong. Part of the handover deal was that Hong Kong would remain untouched in economic administration terms for at least 50 years, which meant China had agreed not to change things in Hong Kong until 2047. There is now an argument that states China are reneging on that agreement.

Currently, no one is at actual war with China at present, but through Chinese belligerence that might well change?

As I have stated elsewhere, I think that much of the world actually is at war with China. From where I sit, it looks like China has declared war on everybody. People have just either not wizened up yet, have submitted to appeasement and capitulation, or are hoping to effectively respond in kind.

Or, more disturbingly, everyone is in on the scam and the big winners are just riding the wave.

Sadly, I lend more probability to the last possibility.
:
edit on 2020 5 28 by incoserv because: I could.

posted on May, 31 2020 @ 12:23 AM
link   
5/31/2020

The United Kingdom is Inviting 3 million citizens of Hong Kong, to come to the U.K. and become citizens.

Source: globalnews.ca...

posted on May, 31 2020 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

Our greatest act for the chinese people, is to share information.

If we all took a chinese buddy, and shared public facts, events and social media, as well had the same done for us.

We'd put a serious huge punch to the family jewels of china...

---

The "how" would be the question, would need to be in a game or something

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join