It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: U.S. Secretary of State Rules that Hong Kong Is No Longer Autonomous From China

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

With China now being Hong Kong in the eyes of the US, there is no special trade status for Hong Kong in all those trade deals. China loses that trade and gateway with its special status

Which, in the end, means losses for the HK peoples more so than the mainlanders. The vast majority of China's economy functions outside of HK. You understand that right? You understand the Trump administration is also aware of this?

It sounds like a move to appease the Chinese over a possible economic compromise. The US lets go of it's view that Hong Kong is special, and China gets recognition over it's territory.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

Seems like the OP is interpreting this move incorrectly.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Wednesday China had undermined Hong Kong's autonomy so fundamentally that the territory no longer warranted special treatment under US law, a potentially big blow to its status as a major financial hub.

The Financial Review

You get that folks?

The "Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act" approved by the US Congress and Trump last year requires the State Department to certify at least annually that Hong Kong retains enough autonomy to justify the favorable US trading terms that have helped it remain a world financial center.

Under the act, officials responsible for human rights violations in Hong Kong could be subject to sanctions, including visa bans and asset freezes.

Sounds like the Trump administration is heading into the direction of caving. Quite the opposite to the OP.

Here's where I'm not certain ... I could read that to mean one of two things:

1. China now owns Hong Kong, the US is acknowledging the fact and abandoning all pretense and principle stated in The "Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act" and any related acts or laws, and Hong Kong is screwed.

2. China now has power over Hong Kong, having broken agreements that they made in 1997 with the UK. Given that, China and the CCP will no longer benefit from the economic advantages that were granted to Hong Kong in its special status, but from a political and human rights perspective, the US will continue to support the people of Hong Kong.

I fear it's the former. Seems more like the former. I hope it's the latter and just wasn't stated clearly.

In short, is is the US cutting off the people of Hong Kong, or are they notifying the CCP that it will not benefit materially from the special status that Hong Kong has enjoyed.

Is this to say, "Screw you, people of Hong Kong, we no officially longer care what happens on the ground there," or does it mean, "Hey, CCP,don't think that you are going to benefit from your despotic and totalitarian actions. This will cost you."

The reality is that if the US were to continue with the same economic and financial doctrines of interaction with Hong Kong, it would just be the CCP that wold benefit, not the people of Hong Kong. So cutting the financial benefits won't hurt the people of Hong Kong in the long run; the CCP has already done that.
:
edit on 2020 5 27 by incoserv because: Added clarification.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

My reading was the latter. Otherwise, why continue to state support for the people of Hong Kong? Part of the law stipulates that the State Dept. has to make the determination before anything else can happen though. I suppose Congress can choose to sit on its thumbs since State makes the determination to them.

But yes, China broke its treaty obligations in the eyes of the US.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Given that, China and the CCP will no longer benefit from the economic advantages that were granted to Hong Kong in its special status,

That's the thing. The China of today is different from the China 23 years ago. She now sits second on the world's economic powerhouses and the majority of her functions are now heavily based on the mainland. That recognition in 1997 no longer matters as much. The Chinese government is well aware of this, as is the Trump administration. So given this, why this move again? Because the Trump administration is appeasing Chinese authorities, and again the only reason behind this would be to push for some economic compromise.

I actually don't care about this move. The US should lessen her involvement in the matters of other nations and focus internally. That's what we've being saying here all this time right? What I need to take note of, is this attempt to hide the as anything other than appeasment by those held sensitive of criticisms against this administration.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 08:38 PM
link   

A novel doctrine? Pun intended?

We can be pretty creative too. For example, I say we give them Disney, Activation Blizzard and the NBA. Their brains will rot and fall out by third quarter 2022 and the resulting herpes epidemic will cripple their "social credit" system.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

I think it's going to be a legit cold war where within 5 years China will not remember what it was like before.

They also may think they "own us" and can call in our bonds but if they did that it would get them no where. The US can float it for the contractual dates and considering numerous countries are looking to sue China for Covid it won't be a far reach for nations to begin forgiving themselves whatever is owed China in compensation for China owing money for Covid.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s

A novel doctrine? Pun intended?

I was wondering if anybody would pick up on that.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Bingo! We already signed up Australia to this plan so much so that China has began to threaten them. Other nations will quickly come around and start competing for "most favored nation" status.

China really did screw up and they know it.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Identified

I think it's going to be a legit cold war where within 5 years China will not remember what it was like before.

They also may think they "own us" and can call in our bonds but if they did that it would get them no where. The US can float it for the contractual dates and considering numerous countries are looking to sue China for Covid it won't be a far reach for nations to begin forgiving themselves whatever is owed China in compensation for China owing money for Covid.

It's already a legit cold war. Do some reading on China's current doctrines of warfare. We. Are. At. War. I am amazed at how few people recognize it.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 08:51 PM
link   

China is nothing without it's factories making cheap stuff for the US. The US is their biggest trade partner. I'm not too worried. If anything China's aggression will stimulate a different sort of production in the US and her Allies factories.
edit on 27-5-2020 by Identified because: Spells

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian

Given that, China and the CCP will no longer benefit from the economic advantages that were granted to Hong Kong in its special status,

That's the thing. The China of today is different from the China 23 years ago. She now sits second on the world's economic powerhouses and the majority of her functions are now heavily based on the mainland. That recognition in 1997 no longer matters as much. The Chinese government is well aware of this, as is the Trump administration. So given this, why this move again? Because the Trump administration is appeasing Chinese authorities, and again the only reason behind this would be to push for some economic compromise.

I actually don't care about this move. The US should lessen her involvement in the matters of other nations and focus internally. That's what we've being saying here all this time right? What I need to take note of, is this attempt to hide the as anything other than appeasment by those held sensitive of criticisms against this administration.

I agree that we need to quite playing policeman around the world. As I said in a previous post here, this is really the UK's problem. The UK made the 1997 treaty with the CCP. (Making a treaty with a communist regime is about as stupid a thing as can be done, anyway.) The UK needs to grow a pair, man up and say something.

Not gonna happen.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

My reading was the latter. Otherwise, why continue to state support for the people of Hong Kong? Part of the law stipulates that the State Dept. has to make the determination before anything else can happen though. I suppose Congress can choose to sit on its thumbs since State makes the determination to them.

But yes, China broke its treaty obligations in the eyes of the US.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping it means.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Yes, but I'm talking the sort of cold war when no trades with them and we don't trade with countries who trade with them. It will be as if they don't exist so long as they stay in their hole. Not this wishy washy trade war where they think they have us over a barrel because of dollar trinkets and some bonds. The world, US included, just woke up to what's been happening for decades.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 09:12 PM
link   

a reply to: Southern Guardian

They don't in the sense that China uses Hong Kong as its trade hub. The rule of law used to apply in Hong Kong making it a stable and attractive place to do business and a lucrative go-between for the US and China, other players and China.

Doing business directly with China means they steal your intellectual property and can change your agreements on a whim.

With China now being Hong Kong in the eyes of the US, there is no special trade status for Hong Kong in all those trade deals. China loses that trade and gateway with its special status and all that lucrative trade potentially. They were making more money from it than from many of their other trade deals because of that special status.

BOOM!

This is what I think is happening. This s a SCREW YOU! to the CCP, not the people of Hong Kong. This was the most legit way to kill those special trade deals and privileges and sends a loud, clear message to Beijing.
:
edit on 2020 5 27 by incoserv because: I could.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 10:33 PM
link   
in 1996, the people of hong kong were free, they had a chance to leave, they decided to stay.

did they really think china would treat them nice?

hong kong is over, there is ZERO reason to go to war with anyone.

hong kong just has to obey the rules set forth by the commies. if they do not like, they should do everything in their power to escape. im assuming its easier to escape in this time and year, than it was in the 50s.

posted on May, 27 2020 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Any moron that reads history knows that HK belongs to the Chinese. Any plan to make it a seperate country or colony away from the Guangdong province will face massive Chinese invasion from mainland. Like it or not HK will either become a province of a Cantonese country or part of China. It is inevitable. Any US bases in China will be met with Russian MAD weapons because they know US is pushing too far. Just like what UK did with India. Russia lets it happen they are just fking themselves over since Ukraine.
edit on 27-5-2020 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Hong Kong is Chinese territory. Their own domestic issue.

As much as the world don't like it, China can do whatever it pleases and stick two fingers up to anyone who complains.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: dantanna

Leaving is not just as easy as buying a ticket and leave mate.
Not all people could afford to leave anyway.
We didn't get the chance to decide where we were born LoL

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Most of the agreements and obligations made with Hong Kong were made on the stipulation it was allowed to remain a self-governing entity. Clearly, that is no longer the case. Now it is all China, and so those obligations are null.

posted on May, 28 2020 @ 08:01 AM
link   

a reply to: alldaylong

Most of the agreements and obligations made with Hong Kong were made on the stipulation it was allowed to remain a self-governing entity. Clearly, that is no longer the case. Now it is all China, and so those obligations are null.

Much the same as Ukraine then?

Which didn't stop Russia from walking in.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join