It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Sincerest Apologies to Preppers and Survivalists

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+53 more 
posted on May, 25 2020 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Ladies and Gentlemen of the SHTF:

I have been totally wrong for many years in my disdain and arrogance for the truth that you were trying to teach us all.

We cannot depend on the government at any level, nor can we depend on our communities for the most part.

We are on our own.

I have lived my life believing that everything could/should exist in a balance. Liberalism and conservatism. Good and evil. Rich and poor. Knowledge and ignorance.

I was wrong. There is no balance. We are in a fight for survival from the day we are born until the day we die.

Everything else is illusion.

You were right; I was wrong.

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I just happened to make a solid Costco run before all this happened.

What do you consider a prepper? Because without Walmart, Costco, etc what would people do really.

+1 more 
posted on May, 25 2020 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

I just happened to make a solid Costco run before all this happened.

What do you consider a prepper? Because without Walmart, Costco, etc what would people do really.

Buy guns and ammo with stimulus check and go hunt if needed?

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Groot

I'd personally go for a crossbow and arrow.

+3 more 
posted on May, 25 2020 @ 06:23 PM
link   
A fishing pole and a bunch of seeds

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

I'd personally go for a crossbow and arrow.

Crossbows are over rated get a airbow

More accurate less noise no archers paradox

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
A fishing pole and a bunch of seeds

We did that to. Wife has an awesome garden growing on the patio. Fishing rods to be used later.

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 06:36 PM
link   
IMO there are degrees. I have always planned not for a zombie apocalypse, but for a supply disruption. And that's exactly what we have today. I'm not going to survive very long if the electricity goes out and literally everything stops. But I can laugh at those worried about TP. Maybe you shoulda put a few rolls aside, ya think?

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 06:51 PM
link   
It's good to be prepared as much as is possible with you're current situation. But more important than what you have in the form of physical preps is your survival knowledge and mind set. Most of your preps should be in your head and your heart, be prepared there and you will find or make do with what you have on hand for many of your preps (I'm not going to say MacGyver, but MacGyver).

A lot of it is common sense, but there is a lot of specialized knowledge that will keep you alive in different situations. First aid is near the top in addition to finding and purifying water, finding and preparing foods, making shelters and a fire, and the rest of that basic survival stuff. I like to refer to those as camping skills. A Boy Scout hand book is good reference material for all of this.

However, any type of knowledge you have could be useful. You could make a place for yourself as an entertainer by your knowledge of musical performance. Your other artistic abilities could come in handy, like 2-D renderings or 3-D modeling, you never know what could be a useful when you adapt it to other applications.

Of course, being a doctor, a gunsmith, a chemist, an engineer or a machine tool maker, a farmer, or from other extremely practical trades would be optimal in many SHTF scenarios.

+8 more 
posted on May, 25 2020 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I have a lot of respect for anyone who can think, change their mind, admit they're wrong, and apologize.

You did the right thing. The topic is irrelevant, your character is what shows.

S+F, you just gained major points in my book and I'll take you much more seriously in the future.

Tyvm!!
edit on 5/25/2020 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/25/2020 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Humility on ATS is always a breath of fresh air.

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Prepping doesn't have to be about the end of the world.
In every life we never know what the future will bring.

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
I have always planned not for a zombie apocalypse

Then your dog is safe... but hey, I think it needs to see a vet!
Jokes aside, unless you have a large property where you can stash years worth of dry / canned food, and grow produce in your yard, we're all kind of screwed. Timing is also important. Try growing stuff when it's -20 Deg Celsius. Not going to happen. If the world really does experience a SHTF scenario, we're all done for, except for those who have access to DUMB's.

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 07:25 PM
link   

But I can laugh at those worried about TP. Maybe you shoulda put a few rolls aside, ya think?

Nah. Anyone 'planning' knows they need three washcloths for that job. TP doesn't last.

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
It's good to be prepared as much as is possible with you're current situation. But more important than what you have in the form of physical preps is your survival knowledge and mind set. Most of your preps should be in your head and your heart, be prepared there and you will find or make do with what you have on hand for many of your preps (I'm not going to say MacGyver, but MacGyver).

A lot of it is common sense, but there is a lot of specialized knowledge that will keep you alive in different situations. First aid is near the top in addition to finding and purifying water, finding and preparing foods, making shelters and a fire, and the rest of that basic survival stuff. I like to refer to those as camping skills. A Boy Scout hand book is good reference material for all of this.

However, any type of knowledge you have could be useful. You could make a place for yourself as an entertainer by your knowledge of musical performance. Your other artistic abilities could come in handy, like 2-D renderings or 3-D modeling, you never know what could be a useful when you adapt it to other applications.

Of course, being a doctor, a gunsmith, a chemist, an engineer or a machine tool maker, a farmer, or from other extremely practical trades would be optimal in many SHTF scenarios.

We watch naked and afraid all the time. Know what takes them out every time?

1. bugs and skeeters

2. drinking bad water

3. eating under cooked critters

4. missing love ones

I for one , have a certain skill set and my wife has her own certain skill set. Together, we are a menace to be reckoned with , apart, we are just fine.

But I do commend Gryfhon66 with your acknowledgment . If you need any advice, feel free to ask us.

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I got fairly into prepping for Y2K. (I still have a few things from that!)

Schuyler is right. one doesn't have to have cases of MREs and a shotgun collection. just a bag of rice here, extra paper towels there, it adds up.

we'll know now, for when the NEXT crisis comes.

edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: clarify

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Preparation is the foundation of success for any aspect of life.

Life is not all about survival. However, that is true until the security structure of society fails. This is why it is important to train yourself.

Train to defend yourself realistically, that's Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Krav Maga, Muay Thai and definitely firearms training.

Get first aid and medical training. Learn to feed yourself.

The way you increase your chances of survival in order for you to thrive is education. Shying away from reality is never the answer.

edit on 5 25 2020 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Brava!

You have processed new information and have changed your mind on a topic.

A sure sign of a logical person... I am re-evaluating my stance with you as well.

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 07:43 PM
link   

We watch naked and afraid all the time. Know what takes them out every time? 1. bugs and skeeters 2. drinking bad water 3. eating under cooked critters 4. missing love ones

Every single time.
I'm always screaming at my screen, "Put some mud or clay on your skin you fool!"

What also bothers me about that show is how no one ever really thrives.
They all mostly starve till they can get out and back to a comfy house.

I watch all those crazy survival shows and can only remember a few where the human could have kept living in whatever place they got dropped off at. All the rest would have died. And these are people that practice that kind of living. If the end truly came and electricity went away for good I think 99% of the people living in the usa would die within a year. If no other country came to help us that is.
edit on 25-5-2020 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 07:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: TortoiseKweek

I have always planned not for a zombie apocalypse

Then your dog is safe... but hey, I think it needs to see a vet!
Jokes aside, unless you have a large property where you can stash years worth of dry / canned food, and grow produce in your yard, we're all kind of screwed. Timing is also important. Try growing stuff when it's -20 Deg Celsius. Not going to happen. If the world really does experience a SHTF scenario, we're all done for, except for those who have access to DUMB's.

You don't need to grow year round... you need to be able to store foods properly.

Or nobody would have survived 200 years ago.

If you are thinking that canned goods and MRE's are the way to go, then yes, you are doomed.

What it is actually all about is sustainability and self-sufficiency.

Yes, you need property to do that.

It actually is pretty simple with the correct property.

I don't have canned goods or MRE's or 1,000 pounds of pinto beans stashed anywhere and I haven't been to a grocery store (haven't left the property, actually) since the 16th of March.

We've doing just fine.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join