It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Sincerest Apologies to Preppers and Survivalists

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: TortoiseKweek

originally posted by: schuyler
I have always planned not for a zombie apocalypse

Then your dog is safe... but hey, I think it needs to see a vet!
Jokes aside, unless you have a large property where you can stash years worth of dry / canned food, and grow produce in your yard, we're all kind of screwed. Timing is also important. Try growing stuff when it's -20 Deg Celsius. Not going to happen. If the world really does experience a SHTF scenario, we're all done for, except for those who have access to DUMB's.

You don't need to grow year round... you need to be able to store foods properly.

Or nobody would have survived 200 years ago.

If you are thinking that canned goods and MRE's are the way to go, then yes, you are doomed.

What it is actually all about is sustainability and self-sufficiency.

Yes, you need property to do that.

It actually is pretty simple with the correct property.

I don't have canned goods or MRE's or 1,000 pounds of pinto beans stashed anywhere and I haven't been to a grocery store (haven't left the property, actually) since the 16th of March.

We've doing just fine.

Did I say you can grow year round? That's why I mentioned winter being -20 C and why you need a large storage area! Cause it's impossible to do that!

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 08:11 PM
link   

IMO there are degrees. I have always planned not for a zombie apocalypse, but for a supply disruption. And that's exactly what we have today. I'm not going to survive very long if the electricity goes out and literally everything stops. But I can laugh at those worried about TP. Maybe you shoulda put a few rolls aside, ya think?

You're where we're at.

I saw the possibility of either a lockdown where we would either not be allowed out or would literally not want to go out, or supply disruptions.

Back in February, we went out started stocking for what we calculated would carry us about two months or patch us through any supply issues.

Turns out is was smart. We've been comfortable and just scratched the surface of what we laid in.

Call it an old policy from growing up in small town on the plains - you never know when the weather is going to knock you down for a few days for one reason or another, so certain seasons of the year, you lay in a bit more ... just in case.

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Huge amount of respect to you for this. It takes the utmost quality of character to humble oneself and apologise for previous words, actions and positions.

Few reach this plateau, credit to your good self.

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TortoiseKweek

Dunno.. The aquaponics system Im piecing together will do year round production. Quite a bit per sqft too.

Coupled with typical gardening, ages old preservation techniques, etc. it can cover pretty much everything.

"Prepping" used to be a pretty standard thing not too long ago.

My grandparents always just used to refer to it as a buffer for any disruptions of daily life. Could be a blizzard, could be a lockdown like this.

Ive always been a bit bemused that its so frequently demonized.. Its only really possible in a world with such extensive dependency. Though, in a sense, its not the worst that we have had relative overall stability for a while.

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Jokes aside, unless you have a large property where you can stash years worth of dry / canned food, and grow produce in your yard, we're all kind of screwed. Timing is also important. Try growing stuff when it's -20 Deg Celsius. Not going to happen. If the world really does experience a SHTF scenario, we're all done for, except for those who have access to DUMB's.

Surviving through the winter (and early spring) involves knowing how to preserve food. It can take multiple forms:
1. Canning (properly so you do not get contamination in the food)
2. Pickling
3. Knowing having a "root cellar" that acts as a cold fridge that does not need electricity is essential
4. Wine/Beer making (allows you to safely drink fluids when the water would be contaminated
5. Salting
6. Dehydrating food

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

But I can laugh at those worried about TP. Maybe you shoulda put a few rolls aside, ya think?

Nah. Anyone 'planning' knows they need three washcloths for that job. TP doesn't last.

That's what I mean about degrees. No need to resort to wash cloths if you have some Charmin stored in a closet.I've got a 10KVA generator. It would be good next time the Arctic Express rolls through here and knocks out a telephone pole, but useless long-term. I'm hoping to never need the ammo...

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

You don't need to grow year round... you need to be able to store foods properly.

Or nobody would have survived 200 years ago.

If you are thinking that canned goods and MRE's are the way to go, then yes, you are doomed.

What it is actually all about is sustainability and self-sufficiency.

Yes, you need property to do that.

It actually is pretty simple with the correct property.

I don't have canned goods or MRE's or 1,000 pounds of pinto beans stashed anywhere and I haven't been to a grocery store (haven't left the property, actually) since the 16th of March.

We've doing just fine.

Did I say you can grow year round? That's why I mentioned winter being -20 C and why you need a large storage area! Cause it's impossible to do that!

I have 2 hot greenhouses and grow year round.

I live in Montana.

Sometimes here it is around -29 C for a week or so.

So I don't think impossible means what you think it means...

edit on 25-5-2020 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2020 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Welcome to the "Red Pill"

You have now woken up from the anesthesia and realized that you and those you care about are on your own when this fragile system we have has hiccups or one day has a major collapse.

The wake up call started when the U.S. government strategy moved from "Civil Defense" to "Continuity of Government" and stopped stockpiling supplies for the populace at large in favor of hoarding supplies for the government with plans of holing up until it was safe to come out and restore order.

Luckily this was a small hiccup and the just in time supply has not been disrupted very much.

Now it is time to learn to store long term food for a "big one" in the future. Better to have it and never need it than to find your family starving to death.

Most people forget in the 6,000 years or so of recorded history that for over 5,900 of those years the biggest killers were disease, starvation, and violence and still is in the 3rd world.

Some useful posts:

5 Gallon Buckets & Mylar - My First Experience
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Raiders, Marauders, And You - Things To Be Aware Of Before SHTF (Especially Mormons)

An Electromagnetic Event Impacting The United States Is Inevitable. Get Ready Now

edit on 25-5-2020 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 12:16 AM
link   
"Guns Germs and Steel" by Jared Diamond
"Collapse" by Jared Diamond

My main preps are sugar, mason jars, seeds, tools and the knowledge of how to use them.

Welcome, Gryphon.

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: markovian

Paradox - from a crossbow ? .... heck you don't even get archers paradox from a compound unless you shoot off fingers.

The only advantage whatsoever of the Airbow so far as I can see is possibly accuracy "at distance",and the look-cool factor.

They are not quieter - being around 10-25db's louder than a crossbow and only marginally faster. In a survival situation you aren't going to want to potentially lose any (expensive) arrows trying for a 100yd shot anyhow.

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I dont care how contrite you are... Im NOT sharing my mountain house seafood chowder. Its been discontinued. I have to think about my long term prospects of replacing them .

Seriously though, I guess if you havent been raised in a prepare for the worst type of family.. then its gotta look weird from the outside. My parents prepped. Its just what you did when you lived in such a volatile area. My dad didnt trust anyone, so he always made sure he was self reliant at a moments notice. Well, Im not as intense as he was, but I too have this thing about caring for my own and knowing its my responsibility to do so. When we were younger my husband and I would go to survivalist retreats.. which is an eye opener. We both hunt. We both are more solitary folks who are most at home in the outdoors. We have always made health choices that keep us in optimal shape because sick or weak folks dont fare well. Hes a former Marine working for the DoD now, so we have always lived this way.

I think its a personality type and being raised with some familiarity of knowing you can count on no one but yourself or your "team". Not a cop, not the govt, not anyone when the chips are down. The fact is.. no one will save you but yourself.. particularly when youre surrounded by toilet paper hoarders..

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I got 2 bows and 2 fishing poles. Arrows are not noisy and also reusable.

Right now I'm spending weekends searching for a secret fishing spot.

My current distance radio on the map is 1 1/2 hours trip. Haven't found the right place yet, I'll expand to 2 hours distance next week.

Once I find the right spot, I'll be able to establish 2 or 3 different routes.

I believe where you can find abundant wild fish, you'll also find animals for hunting too.

One of the biggest cons are bears. Saturday I found a bear excrement, it was dry but it means I'm in a hot area.

My car is small but highly efficient. I'm upgrading it's cargo capacity and couple of things more.

The idea is find a place not only for meat source but also for a possible bug out in a convoy.

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 03:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

5. Salting

A most important knowledge when surviving that most have no concept of.
Salt box.

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 04:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheResidentAlien
a reply to: markovian

Paradox - from a crossbow ? .... heck you don't even get archers paradox from a compound unless you shoot off fingers.

The only advantage whatsoever of the Airbow so far as I can see is possibly accuracy "at distance",and the look-cool factor.

They are not quieter - being around 10-25db's louder than a crossbow and only marginally faster. In a survival situation you aren't going to want to potentially lose any (expensive) arrows trying for a 100yd shot anyhow.

Are u suggesting archers paradox comes from your fingers ... and there's a type of bow that dosent have any

Is you bow infused with elf magic or something

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

What do you consider a prepper?

It's all about knowledge
- How to forage
- How to get water / purify water
- How to stay safe

Prepping isn't just about storing goods

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 09:46 AM
link   

That's what I mean about degrees. No need to resort to wash cloths if you have some Charmin stored in a closet.I've got a 10KVA generator. It would be good next time the Arctic Express rolls through here and knocks out a telephone pole, but useless long-term. I'm hoping to never need the ammo...

LOL ... your butt's cleaner using a washcloth ... but the maintenance requirement is higher. If you have to walk a considerable distance ... it's better to walk clean.

'Bout that ammo thing ... I tell people the deep holes I've dug are nothing more than pit traps for coyotes.

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Boy Scout Motto: Be Prepared

Living outside the city I don't have much of a choice, but when this really started taking off I watched with popcorn on my couch with comfort...

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: visitedbythem

One of the things that ran out quickly was alcohol. I was tempted and almost did buy a still several years ago. I wish I had.

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Ummm...prepping is prudent...

It's not about Mad Max...or the Walking Dead...it's about exactly what you stated...

You...being the arbiter of your own future...because you won't be able to rely on anyone else...so the burden falls on you to keep you and yours safe and secure...

By anyone else...I mean beyond those you can trust with your life...

Be safe...and be as well as you can...

There's some extremely valuable information on this site...that deal with virtually any scenario...and the proper use of equipment and tools...posted by some rather intelligent individuals...

Glad to see your ready to join the club...

YouSir

posted on May, 26 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT
a reply to: visitedbythem

One of the things that ran out quickly was alcohol. I was tempted and almost did buy a still several years ago. I wish I had.

Ummm...there's a number of electric air still's on Amazon that sell for around $200.00...and also some non electric 3 pot stills for around the same price...

They've got excellent reviews...

YouSir

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join