It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump: When somebody is the president of the United States, the authority is total.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Closing factories that’s ship crap out of state Interferes with interstate commerce .

Did you know that robbing a beer truck violates interstate commerce .

All you’ve had is questions all I’ve given you is facts. For the love of God google something . Lol

edit on 14-4-2020 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Does so

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 02:40 PM
link   
From an independent's perspective, these are strange times indeed when the Republicans aren't upset about a president claiming total authority and suggesting governors can't do anything without his approval.

Limited federal government and states' rights have long been a pillar of the conservative brand.
(And they're not wrong about that, IMHO.)

If a Democrat made that comment, the response would be apoplectic.

Personally, I hope someone at least mentions the 10th amendment to Trump.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

We do know. It's just that 40% of Americans don't seem to care.

The guy was impeached for it and is facing several lawsuits over constitutional violations and overreach, which, his administration insists have no standing because "you can't indict a sitting president."

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Hope and pray this virus does not take any more wrong turns or you will learn that governors will have no authority and Trump will have it all as you exist under rule of law...
Trump is not wrong in what he said he just didn’t clarify it clearly he knows exactly what he said and why it is true...
Before you point the finger at him look to the others just before him who have pissed on your constitution to enact laws to step all over it under certain circumstance...

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

For the love of God google something . Lol

Okay.

"The constitution doesn’t allow the federal gov’t to become the ultimate regulator of our lives because they wave a doctor’s note," Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) tweeted Tuesday.

"Powers not delegated are RESERVED to states & the PEOPLE. If we dispense with constitutional restraints, we will have more to worry about than a virus," added Paul, who has also been critical of governors he views as going too far during the pandemic.

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) said that while the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the White House would be providing guidelines, the Constitution and "common sense" dictate that decisions about when to reopen shuttered parts of the country are made at the state level.

"It's going to be the governors that are going to make decisions about when certain activities are allowed. ... That is the appropriate place where I think some of these orders will begin to be modified," Rubio said, adding that the federal guidance would be "influential."

Rep. Liz Cheney (R-Wyo.) didn't directly mention Trump but tweeted Monday night that "the federal government does not have absolute power.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.” United States Constitution, Amendment X"

thehill.com...

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: links234
We do know.

It isn't what you know, dear links, it is what you think you know that just ain't so.

The guy was impeached for it

For what? Having a phone call with a foreign leader? Doping his job? Do tell.

and is facing several lawsuits over constitutional violations and overreach, which, his administration insists have no standing because "you can't indict a sitting president."

Yawyn. Wake me up when you do.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 03:24 PM
link   

For what?

Obstruction of Congress, declaring that he and his staff have absolute immunity.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 04:18 PM
link   
If you accept federal funding you're under federal jurisdiction. Give up federal funding then you can do what you want that is lawful. Also constitutional rights trump over unconstitutional state/county/city actions, including right to assembly & freedom of movement.
edit on 14-4-2020 by JBIZZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 04:35 PM
link   

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.” United States Constitution, Amendment X"

Powers not delegated are RESERVED to states & the PEOPLE. If we dispense with constitutional restraints, we will have more to worry about than a virus," added Paul, who has also been critical of governors he views as going too far during the pandemic.

I call the 3 people you have never agreed with in the last 3 1/2 years and raise the supreme court case that is the law of the land .

The power is delegated to Trump by the constitution . It is prohibited by the Constitution for states to deny you rights . He has absolute power over the executive branch .( law enforcement )

In the landmark decision Nixon v. General Services Administration, Justice William Rehnquist, afterwards the chief justice, declared in his dissent the need to "fully describe the preeminent position that the president of the United States occupies with respect to our Republic. Suffice it to say that the president is made the sole repository of the executive powers of the United States, and the powers entrusted to him as well as the duties imposed upon him are indeed a powerful and incredible responsibility but as well as a great honor."

I like quoting caselaw it ends arguments .

Case law

Let me see if I can head you off on a couple replies.

The Supreme Court is the guardian and interpreters of the constitution .

Besides finding a charge to scare the governors . .....

He can issue a executive order.

Such orders carry the same force of law as executive orders, the difference between being that executive orders are aimed at those inside government, but proclamations are aimed at those outside government.

The Supreme Court has found he needs to be within the constitutional limits. Which he is . (Supremacy clause and absolute power over the executive branch and executive orders .

Not one of your comments said he couldn’t do it . I mean did you even read the bold is rand Paul statements ?! They said he doesn’t have absolute power which he doesn’t . They didn’t like the idea but none of them said he would be outside his bounds.

Cornell law

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 04:58 PM
link   

They said he doesn’t have absolute power which he doesn’t .

Trump says he does.

I have no idea what that case law you cited has to with Trump's erroneous claim of total authority.

Did you miss the fact that this is a dissent argument that's from the viewpoint of the side whose opinion did not prevail?

In the landmark decision Nixon v. General Services Administration, Justice William Rehnquist, afterwards the chief justice, declared in his dissent

edit on 14-4-2020 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: links234

Between this and his desire to be 'president-for-life' I'm pretty happy that more people are buying guns.

Exactly.

Heck, I like this administration and I'm glad to see it too.

Feels good to have such a strong card to play riding in your holster doesn't it? Government always needs to be kept in check, and be reminded we as a country have an enormous degree of firepower if they ever try to push us in the wrong direction.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Melen

Now now, it isn't just Trump doing this crap.

I was surprised by his statement considering all the lockdowns and distancing have been put in place by State governments (based on recommendations at the Fed level)

I like the guy but I would never support a President for life. Lawful things, like pulling FCC licenses for stations trying to sabotage the country or gaslight the public are a totally different story.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Obstruction of Congress isn't a real thing, unfortunately. Equal branches of government cannot obstruct one another. That's why we have a judiciary and Supreme Court. Unfortunately Pelosi is on record willingly refusing to take the issue before the courts.

If he refused a court order subject to proper appeal (ie: to the SCOTUS), then he'd be in contempt.

This is no different than the President ordering his co-equal branch of government (the entire congress) to do something and that branch refusing. This wouldn't be obstruction of the Federal government. If on the other hand he did take it before the Supreme Court and the court ordered congress to do something, they would be subject to all appropriate sanctions.

In reality, he was acquitted of the allegation made by the House by the other half of congress: the Senate.

The Constitution specifies the reasons a President can be impeached - those are high crimes and misdemeanors. And since there is no such thing as obstruction of congress, it cannot fit either definition as several prominent law professors have already established and the precedent set by his acquittal.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 05:23 PM
link   

He has absolute power over the executive branch .

And that’s one judge out of nine there was another dissenting opinion . Doesn’t matter anyway Rehnquist’s dissenting finding gave all president Executive power .

If he said he has absolute power over all branches of the government . I must’ve missed that do you have a direct quote ?

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 05:32 PM
link   

He has absolute power over the executive branch .

Stop moving the goal posts.

Trump is claiming, erroneously, that he has total authority over governors, and that they can't make a move without his okay. That's not true. Not in any sense.

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Obstruction of Congress isn't a real thing,

Nevertheless, he is forever impeached for Obstruction of Congress.

The impeachment of Donald Trump, the 45th president of the United States, occurred on December 18, 2019, when the House of Representatives approved articles of impeachment on charges of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impeachment_of_Donald_Trump

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 05:47 PM
link   

He does have total power over the governors through the executive branch .

My got haven’t you been paying attention .

Now tell me which goal post I moved. When you do I’ll go back and quote the post I replied to .

Bottom line is you can’t find a quote where he said he has power over all three branches of government . I asked nicely thinking I might’ve missed something .

Are you familiar with the word “obacerate” ?

If so humor me .

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 05:50 PM
link   

He does have total power over the governors through the executive branch .

No he doesn't. He can't even declare Martial Law without Congress.

Bottom line is you can’t find a quote where he said he has power over all three branches of government .

He said that he has "total authority"...PERIOD.
edit on 14-4-2020 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2020 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Whatever I give up .

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join