It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senior Shopping Hours: Walmart, Target, Albertsons and more

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Just a heads up. This is probably good news for all of us -- at least if it's successful in minimizing spread of the virus. And of course it's important for seniors and other vulnerable shoppers to know these hours are available, but everyone else as well so they know not to shop during those hours. (Although most will not be asking for ID, and depending on the honor system.)

Stores designate shopping time for seniors vulnerable amid coronavirus: Walmart, Target, Whole Foods and more

Some retailers are setting aside time for their most vulnerable customers to shop.

Acknowledging that older adults and persons with underlying health conditions are more susceptible to COVID-19, a growing number of stores are dedicating time or opening earlier for senior shoppers and other at-risk groups.

It seems that most of the stores are dedicating one or two days a week for the vulnerable to shop, first thing in the morning.

Walmart announced it is introducing an hour-long senior shopping event March 24 that will be held every Tuesday through April 28 for customers 60 and older. The designated hour will start one hour before the retailer's 5,000-plus U.S. stores open.

Albertsons, which has 2,200-plus stores under banners including Safeway, Acme and Vons, says it is reserving two hours every Tuesday and Thursday morning for vulnerable shoppers, including senior citizens, pregnant women or those with compromised immune systems "who have been advised to avoid leaving home as much as possible."

Starting Wednesday, all Whole Foods Market stores in the U.S. and Canada will let customers who are 60 and older shop one hour before opening to the public. The company, which is owned by Amazon, has approximately 500 stores throughout the U.K., Canada and in 42 U.S. states.

Target is introducing a weekly hour for elderly and vulnerable shoppers to shop starting Wednesday, the same day it will cut hours at its more than 1,800 stores nationwide.

There are still risks involved (of course):

Some experts say they are concerned about having a large number of seniors congregate together. Alysa Krain, an infectious disease doctor who specializes in geriatric medicine at the University of Pennsylvania’s Perelman School of Medicine, told the Washington Post that the special hours make her nervous.

“It was a good idea in general, but it’s a little bit dangerous if it’s not controlled,” Krain told the Post.

I understand the concern, but we cannot prepare/prevent every eventuality. Risk is inevitable, and the best we can do is minimize and control the risk the best we can. Our best bet is to educate and inform and advise and hope people act accordingly.

There is a longer list at the link, including regional and local stores. I just excerpted from the biggest (national) chains. I expect we'll continue to see senior/vulnerable shopping hours established at more stores, and probably drug chains like Walgreens and CVS, and perhaps even banks and other essential services/businesses.

Feel free to add to the list.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

good post celtic queen, I do agree though its a bit dangerous. A better thing would be to have them setup up curb side assistance so they dont leave the car. use an IPAD, and have them select the items they want, someone goes and grabs it, and brings it back out to them, they pay for it.

Camain

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Wonder how many people will dress up to look like seniors just to get in a store early !! 😷

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 06:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: camain

good post celtic queen,

Thank you! I love that you know that too...

I do agree though its a bit dangerous. A better thing would be to have them setup up curb side assistance so they dont leave the car. use an IPAD, and have them select the items they want, someone goes and grabs it, and brings it back out to them, they pay for it.

That's an excellent idea. It might not be practical though in terms of how many employees would be needed, and how long it would take. Many seniors aren't online, so online orders might not be feasible, but perhaps telephone orders? Fax orders?

With all the modern technology we have, there's gotta be a way.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Good luck. A lot of stores arnt blocking any other age groups from entering during the set times. Its all a bunch of BS PR. You guys can call say Im negative about everything...but truth is truth. Its a nice gesture, but its not and it wont work.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Wonder how many people will dress up to look like seniors just to get in a store early !! 😷

Well, now I'll be keeping an eye out for YOU, Xuen!!!

Don't you even try to cut in front of me... I have a cane and I'm not afraid to use it

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 06:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: BoscoMoney
Good luck.

Thank you.

A lot of stores arnt blocking any other age groups from entering during the set times. Its all a bunch of BS PR. You guys can call say Im negative about everything...but truth is truth. Its a nice gesture, but its not and it wont work.

I won't say that... it would be giving you too much credit. The truth is that most will happily honor and even respect the gesture, for the sake of the vulnerable in particular, but the greater society as a whole. But some will want to throw a wrench in the works for their own pathetic reasons, and then try to label the rest of us with the same label.

Personally, I have much respect and appreciation for those trying to be part of the solution. And these days, if you're NOT part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Local small town store has first 2 hours for elderly. First day more young people than elderly that said screw you. Second day police checkpoint. About half the cars just pulled thru the parking lot or waited 20 minutes till times was done. local chief thought it was rather funny online. And yes you will get a ticket.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 06:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
Local small town store has first 2 hours for elderly. First day more young people than elderly that said screw you. Second day police checkpoint. About half the cars just pulled thru the parking lot or waited 20 minutes till times was done. local chief thought it was rather funny online. And yes you will get a ticket.

I really feel for the police these days... I read one city had to tell people to stop calling the police when others cut in line at the store!!!

But it occurs to me that it will take some time to get the word out. At least some of those not-vulnerable would-be shoppers probably didn't even know about the dedicated shopping hours. And many people will stop at stores to pick up this or that real quick on their way to work or school, so it's a busy time at many stores.

I suppose social shaming is probably the only recourse against those who willfully violate the rules.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Its okay. I would never expect anything from being right about how pathetic the human animal is. No matter how many times I'm correct. Saying truth in the face of contrary fact is not a solution. Its sugar coating and lies. Hardly a solution.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

“It was a good idea in general

Your welcome.

And

Theres nothing dangerous about it, the majority of these people fought for our freedoms - so the least we can do is step aside for an hour here and there and let them shop hassle free.

"Covid 19 civility and respect -3/15" least people listened.

The 3 things about truth is -
1- First it is ridiculed
2- Second it is violently oppossed
3- Third it is then accepted as being self evident.

Arthur Shopenhauer 1788- 1860

edit on 19-3-2020 by CthruU because: 1

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Met an elderly widow 83, at Walmart two weeks before this kicked off.

Great lady. She just needed some help shopping and wanted a ride home. I obliged. She gave me a little gas money, and a wonderful conversation about everything really, lol.

We became friends and still are. I take her where she needs to go and I help her shop, etc. Her daughter, with whom she's staying with currently, is a busy woman and doesn't mind me taking up the slack and neither do I because I don't look at it that way.

Fast forward, and the nutballs have emptied the stores without any regard to those who aren't capable, or quick enough, to joust another person for a can of peaches.

I've accomplished her shopping needs without her having to deal with the madness on my own; delivering it to her house safely what I could manage to find from her list.

In getting to the point, this whole dog eat dog mentality is bs. Its despicable.

Already there are whackos trying to return items that they overbought and they are being turned away, rightly so.

However, that product is wasted and unavailable now.

We gotta look after our old folks. Not overlook them. I hope more stores do this honestly.

If you can't wait a couple hours to shop for snip you probably don't even need, and are fanatical about "my turn", then we're lost as a society and a species.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: CthruU

You'd think that would be reason enough.

Smh..

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Its okay. I would never expect anything from being right about how pathetic the human animal is. No matter how many times I'm correct. Saying truth in the face of contrary fact is not a solution. Its sugar coating and lies. Hardly a solution.

Except your "truth" isn't the whole truth. And you cannot be "right" or "correct" if you are simultaneously denying the truth, because at that point you are most definitely wrong, incorrect and inaccurate.

Of course there are craptastic people that do craptastic things. We all know that. But there are lots of awesome people doing awesome things as well, and it's not only a mis-truth to pretend they don't exist, it's also a slap in their face. Maybe -- just maybe -- if their efforts were appreciated and lauded as the example to follow, there wouldn't be so many craptastic people doing craptastic things.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: CthruU

Theres nothing dangerous about it, the majority of these people fought for our freedoms - so the least we can do is step aside for an hour here and there and let them shop hassle free.

Quoted for truth.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow
Met an elderly widow 83, at Walmart two weeks before this kicked off.

Great lady. She just needed some help shopping and wanted a ride home. I obliged. She gave me a little gas money, and a wonderful conversation about everything really, lol.

We became friends and still are. I take her where she needs to go and I help her shop, etc. Her daughter, with whom she's staying with currently, is a busy woman and doesn't mind me taking up the slack and neither do I because I don't look at it that way.

That's beautiful. I'm so happy for both of you and your friendship.

Thanks for being THAT person.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow

You'd think that would be reason enough.

Smh..

Indeed.

For me, they fired a gun and stood a line so i can live outside communism with freedom of speach and movement (for most part).

So if i have to sit on my couch for few weeks or wait an extra hour to shop in the morning then so be it- hardly compares on the scales of life when you try to balance the books.

It really is as simple as that and thats why i ignored my civility and respect thread from 3/15 after seeing the disgusting selfish responses some ferals were spruking.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 06:50 AM
link   

An empty gesture, for PR purposes. The elderly are being asked to stay at home and yet the stores want them to come in and spend spend spend. There are so many contact points its reckless to be pulling this stunt. Want to help, have them make a list and go and get what they need yourselves. Some of them put their lives on the line for you and I, and have done so much for generations over the years, I'm sure we can all make some time for THEM right? We don't want them exposed to this terrible, terrible virus. Especially when they are so at risk. It seems the least we could do at such a critical time.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 07:17 AM
link   

An empty gesture, for PR purposes. The elderly are being asked to stay at home and yet the stores want them to come in and spend spend spend. There are so many contact points its reckless to be pulling this stunt. Want to help, have them make a list and go and get what they need yourselves. Some of them put their lives on the line for you and I, and have done so much for generations over the years, I'm sure we can all make some time for THEM right? We don't want them exposed to this terrible, terrible virus. Especially when they are so at risk. It seems the least we could do at such a critical time.

I appreciate the better attitude at least -- thank you.

Of course there are still risks. Nothing is foolproof, and the old and vulnerable are very well aware of this fact. And your suggestion for folks to shop for them is great as well, and I really hope more people will be Guardian Angels for their vulnerable neighbors, friends and family members. So many already are. I see good people offering their services on NextDoor more and more.

But there obviously aren't enough such people. And for stores to provide personal shopping would require more employees than perhaps would be possible to accommodate everyone. As well, seniors and the vulnerable may need or want to shop for themselves at times.

There are so many factors to weigh and balance. I'm sure it's not easy.

posted on Mar, 19 2020 @ 07:24 AM
link   

It really is as simple as that and thats why i ignored my civility and respect thread from 3/15 after seeing the disgusting selfish responses some ferals were spruking.

I'm really sorry about your thread. I don't recall your thread, but I've sure seen the ugliness and hatefulness being spewed here and elsewhere. It's especially disheartening to see and accept on ATS though.

Please please please don't stop fighting the good fight! We need to good examples desperately now... more than ever...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join