It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Covid-19 Community Support and Mental Wellness Thread

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: toolgal462

Which, incidentally, is what song #2 is reminiscent of in that guitar or is it the bass guitar sound>?

OMG! That is hilarious. I think we actually did rip off Johnny and PIL. Haha, he's been swindled!

Your band was good! Get the band back together!!!

Hah! I think we were far more glam back in the 80s/90s. I'd feel pretty silly in those pants now.

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s

Which, incidentally, is what song #2 is reminiscent of in that guitar or is it the bass guitar sound>?

OMG! That is hilarious. I think we actually did rip off Johnny and PIL. Haha, he's been swindled!

Your band was good! Get the band back together!!!

Hah! I think we were far more glam back in the 80s/90s. I'd feel pretty silly in those pants now.

I have a damn good ear and I DO know my music!!!

We could use a good rock n roll/punk/heavy metal rennaisance. You don't have to wear the glam duds.
LOL

Boy did I used to wear some gettups and the hair dos I prefer to forget!!!

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Oh yah, although musically you were channeling Johnny Lydon and PIL., I think visually you were all Michael Hutchence.

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 01:23 PM
link   

D'aww.

Funny story. The woman who mixed those songs for us is the wife of my best childhood friend. She was the junior engineer on "Kick" (INXS).

Kevin Bacon has nothing on me!

Boy did I used to wear some gettups and the hair dos I prefer to forget!!!

Oh, come on! I showed you mine, you show me yours (Hairdos, people! get your mind out of the gutter).

EDIT: clarifying Paula's role
edit on 2-4-2020 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Id actually argue that there has been a renaissance of nearly every music genre you can imagine!

Its just a hyper-saturated market, so have to sift through a lot. But, just by sheer volume.. I hold the opinion that there has never been a better time for music an individual might enjoy.

I think a lot of folks miss out on it because the methods of actually finding it have completely changed. Youtube might be one of the best (seriously.. the amount they have is astounding), but there are others like everything from soundcloud to bandcamp.

Like I said though, the problem is it takes a lot more time sifting through it all to find something you like.

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

Thankfully, back in them days there were no camera phones.

Although I did model for a few photogrphers back then with my mohawks and those pics existed in some art shows

LMAO

My punk rock days I was awful looking

My goth/metal inspired days I was so much hotter and better dressed.

Alas, I have no pics uploaded to prove any of it. LOL

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam

Id actually argue that there has been a renaissance of nearly every music genre you can imagine!

Its just a hyper-saturated market, so have to sift through a lot. But, just by sheer volume.. I hold the opinion that there has never been a better time for music an individual might enjoy.

I think a lot of folks miss out on it because the methods of actually finding it have completely changed. Youtube might be one of the best (seriously.. the amount they have is astounding), but there are others like everything from soundcloud to bandcamp.

Like I said though, the problem is it takes a lot more time sifting through it all to find something you like.

And therein lies a big problem. Finding the great music.

Thanks to the deregulation of radio in 96 we have no decent radio stations any longer. NONE. ZIP

All we have is the same lousy generic format radio owned by 6 companies.

Radio died in 96 or it's death began then. It'd def dead now

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 01:36 PM
link   

BELIEVE ALL WOMEN!

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 01:37 PM
link   

I.. think saying "radio is dead" might be an immense understatement lol I suppose they still make plenty of money, but I have no idea.

I guess there are things like satellite radio too (is that still a thing?) that might be better, but I havent listened to any platforms like that for maybe 20 years.

All bout those digital platforms now. But, if you find a band you like, algorithms tend to be pretty decent in guiding you further (recommended vids on youtube, "more bands like this," "people who listened to this ALSO liked this," etc.)

Basically.. if you love finding new music (not everyone does, and thats ok too), and you arent exploring digital platforms.. You are really missing out!

Its tough for me to say "oh this music sucks," since most would say the same about some of the stuff I love most. But hey, thats the beauty of it.. Theres something for everyone out there! And a lot of it. Like, a lot a lot.

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 01:38 PM
link   

BELIEVE ALL WOMEN!

Oh brother, could I tell a "metoo" story or two if I cared....

But I don't dwell on stupidity that happened 40 yrs ago.

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 01:40 PM
link   

There is so much look-alike/sound-alike in pop music as well. As "pop/punk rock" as those tracks are we were at one time compared to the Blue Oyster Cult and Mary's Danish (89). One of my favorite living artists, Nick Cave, is all over the place; punk, blues, howling rage, hard rock, soft alternative, etc. He will never be an iHeart Radio darling because they don't know how to sell that.

It's easy money to go, "well, Taylor Swift is a hit in this demo, let's find three more just like her!"

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Oh, I'm so sorry. I was just being silly.

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I have to avoid mentioning names and stuff of you know who , WHO ruined radio, tv and sooooo much more.
Don't need the boot up my arse from a mod.

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Welp, I think I am too far gone. I've shared enough in this thread alone to identify me with a modicum of effort. Oh well. It's the end of the world, right?

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Oh, I'm so sorry. I was just being silly.

Meh, it was part of life in those days you know. Part of interacting with the opposite sex, etc...

Add in the hormones of youth and booze (no drugs for me).

All sorts of stuff happened and some of it was a bit too far.

But what I am saying is that, it happened and 40 yrs later I don't see the point in making a big deal out of that stuff.

Of course, there are limits to what I blow off. But, I'm saying, "a pinch in the ass" or someone sticking their tongue down my throat *uninvited* wasn't cause for a legal inquisition.

Ya follow me?

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Welp, I think I am too far gone. I've shared enough in this thread alone to identify me with a modicum of effort. Oh well. It's the end of the world, right?

Hahaha, Maybe you'll get a few new groupies! Tell your wifey to watch out!

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 01:45 PM
link   
My musical tastes developed in the SF area in the early 80's - at a time and in a place where the lines between metal and punk blurred. Bands like 7 Seconds, TSOL, SOD / MOD, Suicidal, The Faction, GBH were always mixed in on playlists or mix tapes with bands like Exodus, Testament, Metallica and Possessed.

Then again we also listened to things like The Surf Punks, The Tubes and Devo in that mix as well.

I guess what I'm actually leaning into is that most of us wound up in rehab.

But we did so with some really cool musical tastes from it.

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Damn, all kinds of names from my misspent youth. I was "straight edge" until I saw TSOL live. 7 Seconds and GBH were never far from the record player. I *think* I liked the Adolescents more than Surf Punks. Exodus and (old school) Metallica were hot snip as well. I saw Slayer in a tiny bar in Cypress in 1985/86. There was no stage and they were literally standing right in front of us. I kept getting whipped by Kerry (King's) hair.

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Although my first love was always rock n roll and it's various genres in the late 80s early 90s I was cocktail waittress in a bar that played dance music.

I also love that late 80s early 90s New Jack Swing genre of music as well as that generation of hip hop/house music.

Millenials don't have a freakin' clue what fun they missed with their lives revolving around fartbook and social media, etc...

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Don't tell anyone but I used to sneak away from my band on Friday nights (we usually played Saturday night) and go dancing at the Red Lobster. Believe it or not, they had a jumpin' crowd most Friday's and there was no shortage of girls who wanted to dance with boys who weren't afraid to. I saw Prince in the round at the Forum, 3rd-row center. My first love is and was always 70's glam rock and punk, but I loved new wave (Disneyland After Dark: a dance club for teens at the park after dark in the early 80s), r&b, hip hop, all of it.

I think I'll put on some Grandmaster Flash. That outta take me aaaaall the way back.

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join