It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coronavirus has mutated into a more aggressive strain

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Scientists have identified two strains of the novel coronavirus causing infections, one more aggressive than the other, indicating that the disease has mutated at least once.

In a new study published as Britain was told to expect a pandemic, Chinese researchers suggest that after Covid-19 crossed into humans, the original strain evolved into a new type and both of these are now circulating.

Although further research is needed, the preliminary study, carried out at Peking University’s school of life sciences and the Institut Pasteur of Shanghai, sheds some light on how the disease is evolving.

The researchers identified two strains, With the more aggressive accounting for 70 per cent of those they analysed and a less aggressive strain making up the rest.

The less aggressive strain, identified as ‘S’ appeared to be the ancestor of the more aggressive one, ‘L’.

Strain ‘L’ was found to be more prevalent at the start of the original outbreak in Wuhan but began to subside in early January. The S type has since become more common.

Source

Although I’d read the other day COVID-19 mutates at an average of about two mutations per month: bedford.io...
edit on 4-3-2020 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I oftened wondered what was Mans predator, since everything seems to consume something in the food chain, perhaps these Viruses are Mans predator, thinning and culling the herd so to speak.

Was the mutation to be expected?

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: violet

Scientists have identified two strains of the novel coronavirus causing infections, one more aggressive than the other, indicating that the disease has mutated at least once.

In a new study published as Britain was told to expect a pandemic, Chinese researchers suggest that after Covid-19 crossed into humans, the original strain evolved into a new type and both of these are now circulating.

Although further research is needed, the preliminary study, carried out at Peking University’s school of life sciences and the Institut Pasteur of Shanghai, sheds some light on how the disease is evolving.

The researchers identified two strains, With the more aggressive accounting for 70 per cent of those they analysed and a less aggressive strain making up the rest.

The less aggressive strain, identified as ‘S’ appeared to be the ancestor of the more aggressive one, ‘L’.

Strain ‘L’ was found to be more prevalent at the start of the original outbreak in Wuhan but began to subside in early January. The S type has since become more common.

Source

Although I’d read the other day COVID-19 mutates at an average of about two mutations per month: bedford.io...

www.reuters.com... ype=RSS&feedName=worldNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Reuters%2FworldNews+%28Reuters+World+News%29

FWIW is opposite what this article says

Researchers identify two coronavirus strains as China cases dwindle
Andrew Galbraith, David Stanway
4 MIN READ

SHANGHAI (Reuters) - Scientists in China studying the outbreak of disease caused by the new coronavirus say they have found that two main strains of the virus are circulating in humans and causing infections.

The researchers, from Peking University’s School of Life Sciences and the Institut Pasteur of Shanghai under the Chinese Academy of Sciences, cautioned that their study looked only at a limited range of data, and said follow-up studies of larger data sets were needed to better understand the virus’s evolution.

The preliminary study found that a more aggressive strain of the new coronavirus associated with the outbreak in Wuhan accounted for about 70% of analyzed cases, while 30% were linked to a less aggressive type.

The prevalence of the more aggressive virus type decreased after early January 2020, they said.

edit on 4-3-2020 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

edit on Wed Mar 4 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: attempt to fix link

www.reuters.com... ype=RSS&feedName=worldNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Reuters%2FworldNews+%28Reuters+World+News%29
edit on Wed Mar 4 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: attempt to fix link

edit on Wed Mar 4 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: EXTAGS ADDED IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

edit on Wed Mar 4 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: alternative source www.nzherald.co.nz...

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Viruses are one of natures ways of keeping the population down. It is like using a computer virus to bring down a huge network of computers. This virus is not natural, someone created it, but did not realize that by the time it reached back to them their protective vaccine or antidotes might not work. Want to know who organized the release of this virus, think of who will profit the most from making the meds and vaccine against it. Usually that is the case with unnatural viruses like this, a responsible environmental activist would not make a virus that effected other animals in nature.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Researchers identify two coronavirus strains as China cases dwindle

It is probably worth noting that nothing about China's numbers is in any way reliable. They are taking this opportunity to claim both national and political superiority by boasting about how well they have contained things, and how "poorly" the west is doing. It isn't like they were almost wholy responsible for this whole thing or anything. Never underestimate China's propaganda machine and its audacity. The western press is eating up their spin too... talking about how great it is that China built a room full of wooden partitions in a sports gymnasium and called it a "hospital".

I'd bet you'd have to multiply their numbers by 50 to start reaching the truth.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 06:25 PM
link   
So the videos we see of 3 children being put into body-bags and the cases of reinfection is true

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: violet

Here's the thing...

Us puny humans took two million years to evolve, viruses can take a month, so every time a vaccine is created the virus plays cat and mouse. Quarantine is the best option for now because the more it spreads, the higher chance of mutation.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 07:34 PM
link   

I don't understand. The article says that the virus has mutated into a LESS aggressive strain.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

I don't understand. The article says that the virus has mutated into a LESS aggressive strain.

You must believe it because some faceless avatar on the Internet said it was true.

duh!!!

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 07:42 PM
link   
If we find out that this was a bio weapon....and China released it either accidentally or on purpose the whole world needs to come together and totally annihilate China.....if annihilation isnt your thing every single communist leader in the country needs to hang from a rope ....but I vote for annihilation.
edit on 4-3-2020 by Oathkeeper73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 07:45 PM
link   
OP please correct this as the virus has mutated into a less aggressive strain according to the article.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Here's an article that states it was more aggressive early in January.

"The more aggressive type of virus was found to be prevalent in the early stages of the outbreak in Wuhan — the Chinese city where COVID-19 was first detected late last year."

www.cnbc.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

In our area there’s two strains , one traced to China and the other Iran. Still though, not enough is known.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 08:13 PM
link   

In our area there’s two strains , one traced to China and the other Iran. Still though, not enough is known.

Nice spin attempt. So, you admit you don't know, and stating that it has mutated into a more deadlier aggressive strain is a lie.

edit on 3/4/2020 by Krakatoa because: fixed spelling errors

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TritonTaranis
So the videos we see of 3 children being put into body-bags and the cases of reinfection is true

If its the video I saw, it was a hoax - those children died of carbon monoxide poisoning long before this virus.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

It's the title of the piece behind a paywall. Plus it's technically not incorrect to state it was more "aggressive" when it comes to spreading:

[...]
"Both of these are now apparently circulating. The newer lineage was initially more prevalent, but is now reducing – the authors speculate that this lineage was more affected by human intervention as a result of it being better at spreading/more pathogenic. The older (S) lineage appear less affected by preventative measures, due, say the authors to it being less virulent and so producing a lower level of more stable infections.

"It’s difficult to confirm studies like this without a direct side by side comparison of pathogenicity/spread in, ideally, an animal model, or at least a greatly extended epidemiological study. The authors themselves admit that their sequencing data regarding the rise/fall of the second lineage is relatively scarce and recommend further investigations."

Chinese scientists claim two strains of coronavirus are infecting people, suggesting disease may be mutating

Great stuff for fearmongering in a more tendentious headline, innit?

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Wonder why there haven't been any reports of using llama blood vaccines, these are more effective for elderly patients and viruses that mutate.

www.popsci.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: joeraynor

I don't trust China's numbers but if the numbers were way off we would be seeing exaggerated numbers elsewhere that we can trust a little more. Not saying it isn't going to hit here in the US and hit hard, but think 150,000 dead In China is way too high of an estimate. There would be thousands of dead in surrounding countries by now, Japan isn't gonna lie they got 6 deaths.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

Nice spin attempt. So, you admit you don't know, and stating that it has mutated into a more deadlier aggressive strain is a lie.

I am not spinning anything, I posted an article and it wasn’t MY headline. I am not a microbiologist to know if it’s true or not. It’s there to debunk if it’s incorrect and you can report it to the Mods to move to Skunk Works if you like.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes

You must believe it because some faceless avatar on the Internet said it was true.

duh!!!

Don’t be so childish.I am going to report it myself to the Mods to move, trash whatever ....
I don’t know if it’s true or not! It was a Top Story in my news feed.
I posted about the deaths as well and I don’t know if that's really true either.
I can admit All I have posted might not really be true, can you?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join