It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flat Earther "Mad" Mike Hughes dies in crash of homemade rocket

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
He died reveling in his passion. He died doing what he apparently loved.

I think he loved the parachutes that fell off on take off a bit more than dying for his passion.

And as I said in my first post, R.I.P. to the guy... but you just cannot temper stupidity when it is intent on being so...

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 11:39 AM
link   
The onboard film might be something else. A chip or two should have survived.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Gnarley

just ignore Turbonum1 - he is the forum village idiot

As for flying homemade rockets - check out COPENHAGEN SUBORBITALS

A group in Denmark which is endeavoring to build a liquid fueled rocket using 75 % ethanol and liquid O2 - the same fuels which powered V2 and America's REDSTONE, which launched first American Astronauts to space in 1961

copenhagensuborbitals.com...

Building a rocket called SPICA which is to powered by a 100 KiloNewton (22,000 lb) engine with goal of reaching
over 100 km , the Von Karman line, who space is considered to begin

Currently fabricating the rocket in their shop

They post regular updates on YOUTUBE

Please give them a look and donate some $$ if possible

edit on 23-2-2020 by firerescue because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: [post=24967547]turbonium1
It's people like you who are the downfall of our species, to actually celebrate, and laugh, about such a thing.

'He thought Earth was flat. I'm happy he died!'

If you cannot understand why that is not utterly disgusting, it only proves my point.

Disgusting people do not see why it's disgusting to think like that, in other words.

Why don't you find his family, and laugh about it, too?

Would you also celebrate the death of your father, or mother, if they believed the Earth was flat, too?

I'm trying to show you how disgusting you are, to think people should die for a belief.

If your parents believed the same thing, you'd believe they would deserve to die, too?

Believing in stupid beliefs should never be applauded so stop clapping.

If insane enough to do something like that, I would really get the parachute system nailed down (+secondary for redundancy) because it's kind of important. In that clip, the way that parachute was like "Screw this, too dangerous, I'm out!", makes it look like a shonky afterthought.

The plume of dust at the end was funny. It reminded me of that clip of the Frenchman who invented a coat that would allow a person to fly/glide to safety. He jumped off the Eiffel Tower and promptly plummeted straight to his death.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
I find it pretty hard to have any sympathy for people like that. This was just dumb.

Why did people have sympathy for the dare-devil Evil Knievel

I didn't.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Hi GT.
Sad indeed.
A wild colourful spirit, who never harmed anyone but himself.
A dreamer ?
Mad scientist ?
Goofball wingnut ?

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 01:52 PM
link   
"Stupid is as stupid does." - Forest Gump`s Mom

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gnarley

originally posted by: chr0naut
a reply to: firerescue

I'm not actually sure what his stunt was supposed to achieve in a day and age when private companies have their own rockets that regularly go out of the atmosphere.

But even NASA and Roscosmos had their fair share of fatalities.

List of spaceflight-related accidents and incidents
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Condolences to all those who have now lost a loved one.

But we all know those private companies are in on it, perpetuating the myth that the Earth is spherical.. they use those fish eye lens thingamabobs to fool us, because a round Earth makes more money than the truth of a flat earth...

The people who died in those Never A Straight Answer group 'accidents' are all paid actors who are sitting pretty in their private mansions somewhere on the moon, eating H3 cooked bacon sammiches.

LOL

Now you had to bring bacon into it, bacon did nothing wrong, bacon is damn near perfect...except there is never enough of it.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 03:42 PM
link   
And the cloud of dust kicked up from the crater left by his enormous balls brought on a second Little Ice Age.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66
Not very smart but he had a large set of ballz apparently.

Now larger in circumference but a lot flatter.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 04:11 PM
link   
God bless Flat-Earthers.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gnarley

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Akragon

Hilarious as it might be... realize that people like this will be the downfall of our species... and YOU are happy to promote this "crap"

I disagree , Mike didn't think the world was flat he wanted to see it for himself , like many here he didn't automatically believe what he was told.

It was people like him willing to put their life on the line that gave us powered flight , 100 years ago Mike would have been a pioneer now people mock his vision , sad.

Wait, what?

If someone wanted to prove that you can indeed breathe under water and drowned attempting to prove it, would you champion him as a pioneer, or a fool?

Seriously....

Dare to dream, man.... We've had LOTS of those kinds of people throughout history that gave knowledge to others by their sacrifices.

May be idiotic in your state of mind but maybe there was something about it to him that you just wouldn't understand.

The guy got a chance to play like a child again but with adult resources. Doesn't make him a moron. He had a parachute, so he did think of safety.... But of course, parachutes NEVER fail, EVER.

Why would people jump out of a perfectly good airplane? Are they stupid?

Why would people hop into a capsule mounted on top of a really massive fire cracker and blast off, knowing that there is absolutely no fail-safe that will keep their butts from being a ball of fire while coming back into the atmosphere? Even taking the chance that they wont decompress and die in space with no way to get your body back for a funeral.

Wright Brothers Bet those guys were crazy too. They were still pioneers.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Did he hit the dome?

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

I find it pretty hard to have any sympathy for people like that. This was just dumb.

Why did people have sympathy for the dare-devil Evil Knievel

I didn't.

As a kid I remember Evel Knievel stunts being carried on the Nightly News.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Forget the angle!

“Mad”, crazy, stupid, ex., are labels for those that want to be superior.

Let’s take a step backwards through the front door of your mind...

“We were somewhere around Barstow on the edge of the desert...”

Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Hunter’s ashes were shot into the stratosphere after he died.

We as a species yearn for the stars at some weird level.

Mad Mike, right or wrong, did something we hardly admit... he tried.

How many people can say that?!

Not me. I’ve played it safe (and paid the price). I don’t think about it anymore (other people’s opinions). Not that I am antisocial and don’t need love and attention every now and then but because I am as dumb as the rest of you!!

Group judgement will not keep me from trying!

RIP, Rocket Man!!

To the stars...
edit on 23-2-2020 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: Graham er nazi...

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 07:35 PM
link   

He did it before and was on his arse for 3 days down to the gforce experienced.

You would have thought he would have learned his lesson.

R.I.P all the same, guy died for what he believed in, so i suppose there are worse ways to go.

Edit: Oft parachute fell off, splat! Maybe not much of a worse way to go after all.

edit on 23-2-2020 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Some of these comments are very sad; their lack of humanity is a real bummer. He was an eccentric guy for sure, but he was also a true original. I watched the documentary about him and found his story to be very inspiring and uplifting. I wish more of you would take the time to learn about him, before you so callously dismiss him.

He was a interesting, original guy who was determined to do things his way, and he did.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Were his calculations off kilter?

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
He died reveling in his passion. He died doing what he apparently loved. Maybe it was the attention, maybe he really believed the earth was flat - none of that really matters other than the fact that he died doing what he had a serious interest in.

A Darwin award to many but I saw him as a dare devil, someone who questioned and challenged, a pioneer in homemade one manned rocket flight.

To those many, I ask.... When was the last time you built your own rocket and shot off into the air at crazy heights - fearless enough to brave the dangers of this endeavor?

Maybe he didn't really believe the earth was flat and was only using the thought to justify what he wanted to accomplish. Either way, doesn't matter. He was a human being who died doing something he loved, something that a vast majority of the planet would be afraid even at the thought...

Rest In Peace, rocket dude!

Im pretty sure when he realized he had left his parachutes behind his thoughts went to his family and what he had just done to them with his selfish passion.

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Probably just played the flat earth group for fools the whole time to help him fund his passion of rocketry. Someone with his credentials surely couldn't be that stupid lol.

RIP

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join