It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corona Virus Updates Part 3

page: 299
<< 296  297  298    300  301  302 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Halfswede
For those questioning about when/why the WHO labeling this a pandemic, you may not have caught this from the presser yesterday.

UPDATE 2-WHO says it no longer uses ‘pandemic’ category, but virus still emergency

“There is no official category (for a pandemic),” WHO spokesman Tarik Jasarevic said.

“For the sake of clarification, WHO does not use the old system of 6 phases that ranged from phase 1 (no reports of animal influenza causing human infections) to phase 6 (a pandemic) that some people may be familiar with from H1N1 in 2009,” he said.

Who knows, they may never call it.

On face value I'd say the use of the word pandemic is fine for movies and when we don't actually have one. Calling a pandemic a pandemic would cause too much panic in those who need to be told there's a pandemic.

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: starfoxxx

That was fast for small scale human clinical trials, this has been in development for awhile.

Good so when these people are vaccinated and they get immunized we should be all set. At least until .1 or 1% begin to show abnormal aversion light, have reports of rage, attack people and have cannabalistic tendencies...

That’s insanely fast, they must have used data from a SARS or MERS vaccine which further confirms my belief this outbreak came from a jacked vaccine development study or trial in China.

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell

originally posted by: Halfswede
For those questioning about when/why the WHO labeling this a pandemic, you may not have caught this from the presser yesterday.

UPDATE 2-WHO says it no longer uses ‘pandemic’ category, but virus still emergency

“There is no official category (for a pandemic),” WHO spokesman Tarik Jasarevic said.

“For the sake of clarification, WHO does not use the old system of 6 phases that ranged from phase 1 (no reports of animal influenza causing human infections) to phase 6 (a pandemic) that some people may be familiar with from H1N1 in 2009,” he said.

Who knows, they may never call it.

On face value I'd say the use of the word pandemic is fine for movies and when we don't actually have one. Calling a pandemic a pandemic would cause too much panic in those who need to be told there's a pandemic.

I posted this earlier today.

We really want to prepare the American public for the possibility that their lives will be disrupted because of this pandemic,” Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the Center for the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, told reporters.

pandemic

Coming straight from a CDC director.

I noticed the words, "because of this pandemic".

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical
a reply to: ketsuko

Agreed, critical infrastructure will (should) be prioritized thus ensuring that basic necessities can be met. There a a large number of people who aren't hospitalized who require electricity to run machines which help keep them alive/healthy and/or medications from spoiling.

If we start seeing large numbers of people unable to work, across this sector (critical infrustructure) especially, things could go pear shaped with a quickness.

It's not the disease that concerns me, it's the fallout from the disease that would pose the larger problem; knock on effects that many never consider.

Very true and well said.
We already now see:
1. the ship cruise industry being smashed
2. toll road operators not going to work (sick)
3. employment office personal (sick)
4. school teachers (sick)
5. taxi drivers (sick)
6. school bus drivers (sick)
7. Japan railroad gate keeper (office worker) (sick)
8. doctors (govt. doctors) (sick)
and this is just the beginning

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Yeah and I am still shocked by the lack of interest or concern from the majority here in the UK
I have mentioned this to a fair few people and they don't seem particularly concerned, yet.
Of course the media have a part to play massively as they have gone from reporting it to nothing to then back on again. A lot of people seem to absorb the headlines for a second then move on - I suppose they haven't done the digging we all have here

One thing I am noticing on local community pages (fb) here and there is that there may be more schools that have put students in isolation or part closed but this isn't mainstream knowledge, so only those in that community hear about it. We hear about a few on tv/press but I am certain there are more.

Quietly prepping and I would advise anyone else to also. Better to be overstocked than under!

Oh and also worth mentioning, i was doing a large shop at a well known supermarket and I had a significant amount of non perishables and pet food and the checkout guy actually asked how often I shop and it piqued his interest which was a bit strange. I just shrugged it off explaining I make use of a car when I can. . So different to the way we shop now - which is day to day or every few days. Also had a few comments from other shoppers! It was only 1 heaped trolley but maybe the items in it sparked the interest.

a reply to: RexKramerPRT

edit on 25-2-2020 by cirrus12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: butcherguy

Not from illness. No.

Everybody is not going to get sick. Dont take everything to extremes.

This isnt a Stephen King novel.

Use China as an example... you don't personally have to get sick, all that has to happen is enough people become sickened for your government to start closing things down and instructing people to stay in their homes rather than go to school, work, or any of your normal daily activities. Yes, things like electricity could be impacted. As long as vital services (hospitals, ops centers, shelters) are powered, the government isn't likely to prioritize fixing lines through or possibly even diverting electricity to individual neighborhoods during a wide spread restrictive quarantine.

Preparation isn't a glass half full/glass half empty situation... that's foolish. Preparation is having a backup vessel identified in case the glass breaks or is lost and having an alternative source to fill the glass should the primary one become polluted or otherwise stop providing water. Being prepared to handle whatever life throws at you is positive thinking and, more importantly, it demonstrates that you're anchoring your positive thinking in a bedrock of reality rather than tethering it to sunshine and farts and hoping things turn out OK.

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

This seems to be a glass half empty kind of group.
Just saying.

Wishing you all the best.

I honestly do not think this is going to be some mass killer.

Think positive people.

I agree, what I find more concerning is the potential for a major disruption in supplies.

Hungry desperate people will be the issue.

Currently, I don't think many people are thinking that far ahead . I am though.

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

This seems to be a glass half empty kind of group.
Just saying.

Wishing you all the best.

I honestly do not think this is going to be some mass killer.

Think positive people.

I agree, what I find more concerning is the potential for a major disruption in supplies.

Hungry desperate people will be the issue.

Currently, I don't think many people are thinking that far ahead . I am though.

Yup this weekend I am taking a road trip to my dad to pick up some equipment I had to leave with him before I went to germany to help protect my family and their food/meds.

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Why would the power go out?

Has your power ever went out?
If so, for the same reason(s).
Downed trees, car accidents taking out a pole, squirrel shorting out transmission lines... etc.
Now, add to that the fact that if everyone is sick, there will be a definite shortage of workers to repair downed lines and blown transformers.... not to mention manning the control rooms at power generating stations.

They still had power in Wuhan even during the worst outbreaks. Why should it be any different over here where the situation won't get out of hand like Wuhan?

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ragiusnotiel
San Fran declares state of emergency

twitter / sf chron

The homeless and the homeless shelters will be a horrible breeding ground , but I think we all know that. There is just no place to hide in big cities. Time to get the tent and bicycle and look for safe ground now.

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 05:28 PM
link   

COVID19: What do we have to fear from a pandemic? Jennifer Cole PhD is an Associate Fellow at the Royal United Institute for Defence and Security Studies a UK-based policy think tank, where she ran the Resilience and Emergency Planning programme until 2018. She worked with UK and international government agencies on policy planning around the response to serious infectious disease outbreaks. She is now a full-time Research Fellow at Royal Holloway, University of London. When people use the word ‘pandemic’ it tends to incite fear. It conjures up pictures of widespread death and societal collapse, the Hollywood movie version of what would happen and how the world would(n’t) cope with a new, unknown disease. History lessons of the Plague of Athens, the Black Death and, more recently, Spanish Flu bubble to the surface of collective and cultural memory. Millions of deaths. Bodies piling up in the streets. Society breaking down. But take a deep breath (through an N95 respirator mask if you want to be careful), step back and try not to panic. Even if the worst case prediction of case fatality rates – currently running at around 2% [1] turn out to be true – and it is increasingly looking as if this is a high-end estimate that doesn’t take into account the many cases that go unreported because symptoms are mild – there is no reason to think that this will equate to societal and economic collapse; the 1918-19 influenza outbreak had a similar CFR but didn’t, even in world already economically depleted by WWI . There are currently 7.6 billion people in the world: even 2% less than that is still a lot more than 7 billion. The world won’t lose all its doctors, or airline pilots, or software developers, or rap artists.

Stumbling on some news..

[SOURCE
edit on 25-2-2020 by Bicent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: XCrycek

If something happens that makes your power go out, you won't be able to count on it coming back on. Sure, if everything goes perfectly, it might stay up because they'll need to keep power generation going for medical, but unless you are on the same circuits as a hospital or similar vital piece of infrastructure, an outage in your area will be well down the list to get fixed, and with widespread manpower shortages due to illness ... well, your guess is as good anyone's when they'll get to you.

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Has this been posted

NEW: Germany reports another case of coronavirus near border with the Netherlands; the man is in critical condition

This man is from North Rhine-Westphalia

Also this is interesting:

The U.S. military is bracing for coronavirus cases to rise in Germany, potentially putting thousands of troops on lockdown or restricted movement, according to the head of U.S. European Command.

"We're anticipating an increase in the number of cases reported in Germany," Air Force Gen. Tod Wolters said in response to questions from Arkansas Republican Sen. Tom Cotton during a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing Tuesday.

www.military.com... ter#Echobox=1582665287

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 05:30 PM
link   
So what will America look like at the end of the day ?
Today will be the first day that the Japanese govt. said "quarantine " of clusters to clusters area will be considered as necessary. This is some tough language people.

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

We’ve been buying canned goods, easy stuff to make in water, cases of water, non perishables, and other supplies. Nothing crazy, just like 50-100 dollars a week for the past few weeks and throwing it in the basement.

Topped off heating oil, paid all bills one month ahead. Sitting on our nice tax return from my boss to give us another month or two before dipping into savings, paid off most credit cards and cashed in on a few grand in cash back awards. Most likely my employer will pay me if we’re forced to stay home but you never know. If the Guard calls then that’s another paycheck. I don’t care about getting the disease, I just want the kids to be safe.

Most people won’t care until they see people dropping and getting sick. Then it’s too late.

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Chevron instructed its workers at its London office to work from home Tuesday after an employee experiencing flu-like symptoms was tested for coronavirus, a person familiar with the matter told CNN Business. In an abundance of caution, employees at the office located in London's Canary Wharf business hub have been told to work remotely until results from that test are known, the person said. There is no known coronavirus outbreak in the office. The Westferry Circus office is home to several hundred Chevron (CVX) employees, including commodity traders, shipping experts and lawyers. "Chevron continues to monitor the situation very closely, utilizing the guidance of international and local health authorities," the company said in a statement. "Our primary concern is the health and safety of our employees and we are taking precautionary measures to reduce their risk of exposure."

Coronavirus jitters: Chevron tells employees at London office to work from home

FYI my near Tampa, LOCAL news desensitizing the local population, preparing people for the pandemic, they refuse to call pandemic. Advising to cancel large gathering, washing hands, cover mouth when coughing etc.

Good times ahead...

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

You just gave me a light bulb moment...

School bus drivers. Where I live there is a TERRIBLE shortage. Sometimes with buses packing 3-4 normal routes on 1 bus.

Bus issues cause most of our snow days we get here. Snow days are just that days off for too much snow then the buses can't drive the roads.

Would not take much here to cripple the school buses.Not much at all,
edit on 25-2-2020 by misfit312 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-2-2020 by misfit312 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: XCrycek

originally posted by: butcherguy

Why would the power go out?

Has your power ever went out?
If so, for the same reason(s).
Downed trees, car accidents taking out a pole, squirrel shorting out transmission lines... etc.
Now, add to that the fact that if everyone is sick, there will be a definite shortage of workers to repair downed lines and blown transformers.... not to mention manning the control rooms at power generating stations.

They still had power in Wuhan even during the worst outbreaks. Why should it be any different over here where the situation won't get out of hand like Wuhan?

Well in China you really have no choice!

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: cirrus12
There’s a huge military ops in May called “Defender 2020” held in German, lots of Active units with Army Guard from the states are going there for it. I wonder how that’s going to play out?

www.defensenews.com...
edit on 25-2-2020 by 38181 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAMEDDDoc

We've been adding canned goods to the shopping for a few weeks, been sitting on dried beans and rice for a while. Assuming the power keeps going, we've got quite a bit in the freezer too to add to it. This weekend we'll stock for the cats (cat litter ... for three ... oi!) and add some canned fish and more canned/dried goods for ourselves.

I need to get one of my prescriptions refilled, but it goes for 3 months at a time. If we can get it early, I'll have 4 months on hand. That would even leave me with plenty to wean off it ends up looking like I will have to.

We need to find out what the contingency plans for the kiddo's school are. Husband can do a lot of WFH in his role now, but he's supposed to go to Germany for a week later this coming month ... I can always investigate going contract where I am and WFH completely too.

I think we can weather this if we need to without too much disruption so long as it doesn't kill our jobs from external sources.

new topics

top topics

<< 296  297  298    300  301  302 >>

join