It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia votes to bans "assault" rifles.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I hope Virginians remember this simple phrase: "I will not comply."

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Does anyone actually want less rights?

Obviously there are those that want less rights. They do not want you to own a gun because somebody might get shot. They do not want you to have freedom of speech because somebody's feeling might get hurt.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I don't see anything in the bill that addresses how they're going to take guns away from criminals.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Anybody else notice...if you register your so called "assault weapons" they dont transfer..so am I to assume after you die the state po po shows up, or a letter for your decendants to hand them over?

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 06:12 PM
link   
The birthplace of the first President of the United States of America , and the general who led the war that freed it from British rule.

I have now seen the future of the U.S. , and it is grim.
Goth.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Don’t feel bad, late last year PA authorities declared a chunk of unmachined aluminum to be a fire arm because they can become ghost guns. The B ATF doesn’t consider 80% lowers firearms but PA does wtf. I couldn’t beat you to death with one wtf. Gun control is out of control everywhere.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: CrawlingChaos

I just watched the video.

You could have warned me dammit!

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 06:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: cynicalheathen
I hope Virginians remember this simple phrase: "I will not comply."

They should remember this one too from VA history. Bet they don't even teach it anymore.

"Give Me Liberty Or Give Me Death!"

The question before the House is one of awful moment to this country. For my own part, I consider it as nothing less than a question of freedom or slavery; and in proportion to the magnitude of the subject ought to be the freedom of the debate. It is only in this way that we can hope to arrive at truth, and fulfil the great responsibility which we hold to God and our country. Should I keep back my opinions at such a time, through fear of giving offence, I should consider myself as guilty of treason towards my country, and of an act of disloyalty toward the majesty of heaven, which I revere above all earthly kings.

edit on 11-2-2020 by LookingAtMars because: add quote.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Looks like there is a grandfather provision.

What does VA consider the definition of assault firearm to be?

HB 961 Assault firearms, certain firearm magazines, etc.; prohibiting sale, transport, etc., penalties.
Introduced by: Mark H. Levine | all patrons ... notes | add to my profiles

SUMMARY AS INTRODUCED:
Prohibiting sale, transport, etc., of assault firearms, certain firearm magazines, silencers, and trigger activators; penalties. Expands the definition of "assault firearm" and prohibits any person from importing, selling, transferring, manufacturing, purchasing, possessing, or transporting an assault firearm. A violation is a Class 6 felony. The bill prohibits a dealer from selling, renting, trading, or transferring from his inventory an assault firearm to any person. The bill also prohibits a person from carrying a shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered in a public place; under existing law, this prohibition applies only in certain localities. The bill makes it a Class 6 felony to import, sell, transfer, manufacture, purchase, possess, or transport large-capacity firearm magazines, silencers, and trigger activators, all defined in the bill. Any person who legally owns an assault firearm, large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator on July 1, 2020, may retain possession until January 1, 2021. During that time, such person shall (i) render the assault firearm, large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator inoperable; (ii) remove the assault firearm, large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator from the Commonwealth; (iii) transfer the assault firearm, large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator to a person outside the Commonwealth who is not prohibited from possessing it; or (iv) surrender the assault firearm, large-capacity firearm magazine, silencer, or trigger activator to a state or local law-enforcement agency.

The bill further states that any person who legally owns an assault firearm on July 1, 2020, may retain possession of such assault firearm after January 1, 2021, if such person has obtained a permit from the Department of State Police to possess an assault firearm in accordance with procedures established in the bill. A person issued such permit may possess an assault firearm only under the following conditions: (a) while in his home or on his property or while on the property of another who has provided prior permission, provided that the person has the landowner's written permission on his person while on such property; (b) while at a shooting range, shooting gallery, or other area designated for the purpose of target shooting or the target range of a public or private club or organization whose members have organized for the purpose of practicing shooting targets or competing in target shooting matches; (c) while engaged in lawful hunting; or (d) while surrendering the assault firearm to a state or local law-enforcement agency. A person issued such permit may also transport an assault firearm between any of those locations, provided that such assault firearm is unloaded and secured within a closed container while being transported. The bill also provides that failure to display the permit and a photo identification upon demand by a law-enforcement officer shall be punishable by a $25 civil penalty, which shall be paid into the state treasury. The bill also requires the Department of State Police to enter the name and description of a person issued a permit in the Virginia Criminal Information Network (VCIN) so that the permit's existence and current status will be made known to the law-enforcement personnel accessing VCIN for investigative purposes.

VA residents will have to resort to this for home protection. Should be perfectly legal.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Wow!

You need a permit to express a right? And said permit goes into a registry?

The good news is no one is coming for your guns. No way. That's just rain you feel on your back and no, I do not smell urine.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
This just passed the house of delagates in the last hour, so specifics are skimpy.

The Virginia House of Delegates passed a version of an assault weapons ban on Tuesday.

House Bill 961 prohibits any person from importing, selling, transferring, manufacturing, purchasing, possessing, or transporting an assault firearm. It also includes restricting certain magazine sizes.

local news

No word on grandfathering... Looks like it's defined as a semi auto centerfirer rifle with a magazine capacity of more than twelve rounds.

Personally I think the democrats just lost any chance of holding the house come next election... I wouldn't be surprised if Republicans use this to win and make it their first measure to reverse.

I'm also interested in seeing how LEO enforce this seeing as there was sweeping 2nd amendment sanctuary measures passed state wide.

Time will tell, but I'm pissed off.

“ possessing “

That guarantees defeat in federal courts .

Personally I would rather go against a assault rifle with a mid size cartridge with a 30 round capacity .

Than against a BAR or FAL 30 odd six or 380 Winchester with a 10 round capacity .

edit on 11-2-2020 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 10:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

No 'law' required.. We have a little thing called an amendment to the Constitution of the United States... #2 if I recall correctly!

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: erbdds

Like part of the Supreme Law of the Land?

I think you missed my sarcasm in the previous post. Up to me, they would be quick marched to the Capitol steps to face a firing squad and their corpses left to rot as a warning to future politicians. But they didn’t take their own flag seriously a a hint, so bloated corpses might not be a persuader either.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Isn't that nice?

They're going to allow Virginian's to keep their own property.

WTF are these idiots thinking? They're cutting their own throats to spite their noses.

You want to fire up the moderates out there, this is just about text book on how to do so. Stoopid idiots.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Well, y'know...safety. Or, the kids. Think o' the kids.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: Metallicus

Does anyone actually want less rights?

No, see, that's not how it works!

Some people want YOU to have less rights...while at the same time THEY demand more rights!

It's that "Selective Rights" clause in the Constitution...oh wait!

Who are these people you think want less rights ?

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 02:57 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

It certainly seems that way, doesn't it??

They, the supporters, just allowed the Virginia state legislature to pass this bill that violates the 2nd amendment of the Constitution.

That's a freedom, is it not?? Ergo, they want less freedom.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 04:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Ya'll's leadership really isn't into the constitution at all are they.

I'm really not having a good time today.

I love this state and all its people... I'm having a hard time thinking about all of this logically without emotion.

I know the feeling.

i lived there for 5 years for work, having just moved back up north (NJ) in late summer.

It's a tragedy what's happening or at least trying to happen in VA lately.

And it all started with Northam.

But if people aren't careful it will end badly, and there will be blood on the walls. Many, many people in VA outside of the beltway area are strong believers in individual rights and freedoms, and they aren't afraid of expressing that right, by whatever means deemed necessary.

Watch this space.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

Luckily it hasn't made it through the senate yet.

That said its a slightly democratic controlled senate... But many democrats here represent rural communities, so we will see.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

You want to fire up the moderates out there, this is just about text book on how to do so. Stoopid idiots.

I usually vote independent or third party in national elections.... But at a state level I often vote Republican or Democrat based on platform as it tends to be different from the national level.

Northam was bad enough... But after this, speaking with a lot of the people I know, democrats have really isolated themselves here.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join