It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia votes to bans "assault" rifles.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

And it all started with Northam.

Bingo.

This state's very identity is being challenged.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

This thread, in just the above-the-fold area (title and first sentence) earned a flag and a star from me. Not sure what to expect . I hope it's as civilized and productive as can be. We'll see. At this moment it gives me hope, and I'll take that.

Withholding opinion for now

on to the meat of it....anyway thanks for an interesting looking thread

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Well, if I was in Virginia, I would put all my firearms into a family 'trust', to be passed down, with the trust as owner. That way they could be grandfathered in forever. The lawyers win with this though ....

Trusts are 'people' too.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Also passed today, measures to circumvent electoral vote and move towards popular.

Not sure what this bill entails.

Honestly I don't want to look at it now. I think I've had enough VA politics for one day.

WOW! And I'm still on page 1. This is also very interesting

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 03:15 PM
link   
It is sad this is happening in Virginia, oh wait the US!! Our family vacationed for the last two years in the state and loved it. Now I will not go back. Between their Governor and this mess with the 2A. I will not spend my hard earned money there. Nothing against the good people of the Commonwealth, but to its screwed up government.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Perhaps the voting is so rigged these people don't even exist.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Question to the OP:

The electoral college is a thing heavy in US politics AFAIK. Are you pro- or con- such "college"? Why do you not want to hear about it?

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 05:22 PM
link   
UNREAL!

Officials walk out of the Virginia Chamber after the Pastor leading morning prayer urges protection of Unborn children!

christiannews.net... /

The people of Virginia must be drinking poisoned water, or something. They keep re-electing these murder supporters.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 05:25 PM
link   

after this, speaking with a lot of the people I know, democrats have really isolated themselves here.

From whom have they "isolated" themselves? Their proposal passed, didn't it?

Common sense limits on firearms?

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: VeeTNA
Question to the OP:

The electoral college is a thing heavy in US politics AFAIK. Are you pro- or con- such "college"? Why do you not want to hear about it?

I'm for electoral college.

For one, the federal government has already over reached on how they govern. It was always meant to be states have more power over themselves. Two, popular vote would just change the power dynamics on a state and national level.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 05:48 PM
link   

after this, speaking with a lot of the people I know, democrats have really isolated themselves here.

From whom have they "isolated" themselves? Their proposal passed, didn't it?

Common sense limits on firearms?

Common sense is a subjective term.

But I live in VA... I can tell you what they are trying to pass is not popular.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 05:57 PM
link   

okay but how do you choose the 'elector(s)'? Populism is about "the popular vote", right? Isn't that what's ruling now?

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 06:00 PM
link   

But the people they elected to go and talk about this stuff and make decisions on behalf of everyone think it is what their district citizens wanted.

Right?
edit on 12-2-2020 by VeeTNA because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: VeeTNA

I'm not all that sure of that, to be honest.

Given the response state wide? Entire counties declaring themselves sanctuary's for 2nd amendment defenders? Rather large demonstration at the state capital?

No, I'm not sure of that, at all.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Well, I'd say they're being ignored--so, yeah, from a certain point of view that seems to be the case.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

No, I'm not sure of that, at all.

Hm.... Are you thinking they are all "plants" (non-elected or pseudo-elected) who are there to disrupt?

How did they get into their positions?

I'm not well-versed in VA political process

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Actually, thinking about it now....so.

They're going to stop selling "assault-style" weapons,

AND

they're going to do away with the electoral college.

It is certainly quite notable.

edit on 12-2-2020 by VeeTNA because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 06:38 PM
link   

okay but how do you choose the 'elector(s)'? Populism is about "the popular vote", right? Isn't that what's ruling now?

Popular vote would mean population dense areas would decide policy for the whole country.

I don't live in a population dense city, and things are different out here. States should have weight in the federal election, and rural communities too.

America is far and wide with many different areas requiring different governance. That's how it was intended.

We should dial back the federal government and give states more flexibility so everyone can be happy.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 06:42 PM
link   

But the people they elected to go and talk about this stuff and make decisions on behalf of everyone think it is what their district citizens wanted.

Right?

You're not wrong... But many Virginia's feel NoVa has forgotten or doesn't care about the vast part of the State that is rural.

I also think the proximity of DC is such national talking points bleed into our state governance.

posted on Feb, 12 2020 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Popular vote would mean population dense areas would decide policy for the whole country.

That's how districting works. These people sit down at a table and draw lines around the blocks of people they intend to "represent".

I don't live in a population dense city, and things are different out here. States should have weight in the federal election, and rural communities too.

They should and they do. Two senators each. That's what your state's TWO Senators are for.

Your House Representative is the guy your LOCAL* team/hood picked to go there

*boundaries arbitrarily decided by team captains

America is far and wide with many different areas requiring different governance. That's how it was intended.

Yes. Absolutely true.

We should dial back the federal government and give states more flexibility so everyone can be happy.

Yes. Because we can all still move state - pick up and leave, and go to somewhere else that seems more friendly. The "American Dream" became a prison. I'm a naturally nomadic wanderer. Can't stay put.

But people watching TV are an entirely different thing

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join