It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So I went somewhere last year and got seeds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I went to a few places last year.. and while there I took some seeds. I have the African Wine Kettle Gourd Seeds.. Cannon Ball Gourds...Bushel Gourd...and Canteen Gourd seeds. Some African tribes rely heavily on the production of gourds, not for selling... but they transport water, food, etc. The reason for it is that they are super light and easier for animals ( and people ) to lace them together and transport water and food.

Im most interested in the Wine Kettle Gourds since I saw some amazing art done on them in the style of a Turkish or Moroccan type chandelier. They require a much longer growing season than I have where I am currently, so Im starting the seeds indoors soon and will transplant when the ground is warm. I have done gourd art before.. with a hand drill ,wood carving blades, and exacto, but the Wine Kettle gourds are really different than Ive worked with as far as what it will take to get the design that I want. Its not a matter of poking through or punch through.. I want it to layer so it will be necessary to shave or sand ( or both) the gourds at different depths to get the effect. I can also layer in glass for color and contrast.

Just thought Id give a subject thats a break from Flu mania.

Here are some examples:

I got some other things from my travels I will share as I get them going. I still have my gigantic hostile voracious Blood Parrot Cichlid that I need to get a pic of on here... he has issues.
I also snagged 2 albino axolotls. If someone says they are hard to care for, theyre nuts. These guys just needed the right environment and theyre thriving! Anyway.. Gourds. Yay!

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I never thought of gourd lamps as an art project. Gonna have to show these pics around a little...

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
I never thought of gourd lamps as an art project. Gonna have to show these pics around a little...

Hey my friend. Ive wanted to speak with you, but had no idea how to begin

Yeah, theyre really something. SOme people really carve these things and its truly amazing.

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

I too have never thought about gourds as an art form.

The two pictures you posted are amazing!

Makes me think about getting all crafty next fall with the right seeds...

~pondering~

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

~pondering~

Yeah, look them up.. you wont believe what people do with these things!!

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Advantage

originally posted by: Lumenari

~pondering~

Yeah, look them up.. you wont believe what people do with these things!!

I am right now... thank you so much for posting the topic!!!!

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

YAYY! I love sharing new stuff

With the canteen gourds, theyre shaped just like a round canteen. They braid leather and twine on them as a holder and use them for wines on treks. Wine keeps and water can be dangerous... so wine it is!

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Advantage

YAYY! I love sharing new stuff

With the canteen gourds, theyre shaped just like a round canteen. They braid leather and twine on them as a holder and use them for wines on treks. Wine keeps and water can be dangerous... so wine it is!

I mean, I've seen them used as a canvas forever... something to paint.

I just never thought of the carving part of it....

This could be really REALLY fun.

edit on 26-1-2020 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Advantage ingenuity, creativity and craftsmanship - eye candy

posted on Jan, 26 2020 @ 11:59 PM
link   
When we say gourds, we are talking some type of squash family vegetable??? How long do they preserve?? Do they get an acrylic dip like starfish and some shells?? Usually we use muriatic acid for most seashells, but more sensitive things get bathed in acrylic sometimes and set to drip/dry. Do they naturally keep like some type of cork??

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Yeas ago a Chinese coworker of mine gave me some Chinese gourd plants to put in my garden. I did not know what they were so I planted them at the edge of the garden. About 2 months later in a nearby tree about 20 feet up hanging from the trees were a dozen or so foot long green gourds. Apparently the vine made it's way out the fencing and up and nearby tree. Later than fall when the leaves fell from the tree I counted about 50 green gourds hanging from the tree as high as the 75 feet tree. It was pretty funny at the time.

I think they were Chinese winter melons:

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Oka reply to: dfnj2015

Ohhh those would do really well in my parents backyard for a spring planting. We get a lovely wet season here and nearly non existent winters.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Do WANT! Those are sweet!

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: CobaltCPD

Do WANT! Those are sweet!

Right?

I need to make some next winter after I grow some squash.

It's a brilliant idea that I somehow never knew of until this thread.

Thank You Advantage!

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I'm curious too, about how to preserve them. Are they just dried? Are they coated in something?
They are beautiful.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 11:12 AM
link   
They are beautiful.
When you revealed that your seed collection comprised of variations of one specific plant species, I immediately thought of tomatoes and corn. It is my understanding that different variants of the same plant being grown in close proximity to each other produces intermingling of specific traits producing possibly intended or unintended hybrid variants.
Do you plan on planting your, heritage?, seed in close proximity? I really don't know if gourd variants do or even can cross pollinate but new variants may be desirable in your artistic designs.

new topics

top topics

join