It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is he *A privileged white man*?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 05:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

It's not just jim crow laws. It's many other things that still effect black folk today. To just say white male privilege doesn't exist at all is to ignore so many factors.

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Lol. Affirmative action somehow corrects all the f$cked up laws and actions by white men in power that have effected generations of black folk?

Recognizing the advantages of being a white male does not demonize white males. It is just coming to an understanding that white folk have had and still have an institutional advantage.

For example, i remember my black friend jokingly telling me to drive the car. Why? Because black folk are more likely to be pulled over, put in jail, and given worse sentences than their white counterpart.

That's a subtle advantage of being born white in the country.

Sure, many cops aren't racist and don't play into bias. But some do. And those bias aren't against white folk.

Just one example of many. Another example would be red lining black communities and individuals. Screwing over black folk on housing that still affects people today.

edit on 19-1-2020 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

I sometimes see the police force (UK) offering job vacancies on online posters that have a separate line at the bottom and marked with an asterisk, or in brackets. It usually goes something like . ..

(** We are currently under-represented in ethnic and minority groups and would particularly welcome applicants from these groups).

Is that a long-winded pc-dodging way of saying ''white straight people - do not apply''?

Is it saying I have a much better chance of getting a job if i'm black, transgender, lesbian/homosexual?

Would it be acceptable to state a preference for white heterosexual male/female applicants? I think not.

A preference for one, is a discrimination against the other/s. And vice-versa. Minority or not.

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: doobydoll

My take on that is always the best person for the job gets it!!

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 07:12 AM
link   
My experience in the last 40 Years is blacks are much more racist then white people.
Especially within their own communities...lighter colored people are singled out.

White people are the most donating and volunteering groups around.

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

a reply to: doobydoll

My take on that is always the best person for the job gets it!!

Same.

All this 'positive' racism cack is still discrimination and still perpetuates divisiveness.

I'm puzzled as to why they can't state 'All applicants welcome'. Such an invitation discriminates for or against no-one, in any way. Real 'equality'.

Too simple I s'pose.

edit on 19-1-2020 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12

It's not just jim crow laws. It's many other things that still effect black folk today. To just say white male privilege doesn't exist at all is to ignore so many factors.

That is a false perception. The culture is what makes any body risk getting in trouble. I live in a community of Blacks that have two cultures. One is of going to church and loving everybody. The other is live in 'jects and blame 'the establishment white guys'. Guess who's culture is happy and makes a decent living using their own wits and skills they learned as a child either on the job are at College and who isn't happy because they didn't even try an live on the gov dole? The ones that go to church pray for the others and help them. Many of the church members have told me theyvoted Trump despite the Anti Trump preacher comments. Well, he is from St Louis and has had to deal with a white guy who loves God and sings gospel music in the churches in our area as an escape from his day job. I will today at a mixed race church that is mostly white people. If people will love their neighbor, we won't need laws.

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Why don't you ask a few of the black church members if they believe white privilege is a thing. Also, im not saying one should use past and current racism to blame and woe their current situation.

White privilege usually has to do with how you MAY be treated differently as a non white person.

I think people throw around the term loosely like the lady in the video did.

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

But again I will point out that is that privilege for being an evil white or privilege for being a majority?

Go to any country as a minority and you MAY be treated differently/badly by majority members because of it. Do your research, and you will see I am right. No one thinks this is bad apparently for POC in those other countries when they are a majority though.

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Recognizing the advantages of being a white male does not demonize white males. It is just coming to an understanding that white folk have had and still have an institutional advantage.

An institutional advantage?

Or using the race card like this

An Asian grooming gang was free to roam the streets and abuse young girls because police officers were told to “find other ethnicities” to investigate, a detective has claimed. At least 57 young girls are thought to have been exploited by a paedophile network of around 100 suspected perpetrators based in south Manchester in the 2000s. The gang, mainly comprised of Asian men, hooked their victims on drugs, groomed, and sexually abused them. One girl, aged 15, died after being injected with heroin by a 50-year-old man.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Use the 'race card' and get away with anything.

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Sure. Privilege can and does happen in many places and races. I would think that this definition of privilege needs history and for it to mainly concern citizens.

It doesn't mean the white man is evil. It's just recognizing how some of the majority have oppressed and treated minorities differently. This treatment created disadvantages for the minority. Like red lining affecting generational wealth. Or minorities given harsher sentences for certain crimes.

Things are a lot better today but it's more about recognizing the mistreatment of minorities rather than calling white people evil or saying white people have no hardships.

It's a wierd word because some liberals throw it around as a insult or try and shutdown conversation.

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

That's a terrible story. Im guessing it has more to do with politics and race relations than the "race card". Maybe a politician didn't wwant to stir up things with the asian community.

Not a great example of a race card being used. More like race relations and whoever at the top that didn't want to hurt relations. At least, that's my take away.

Race card gets you out of anything?

I guess the statistically higher death rate of unarmed blacks by cops is because they forgot to use their race card.
edit on 19-1-2020 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 03:52 AM
link   

That's a terrible story. Im guessing it has more to do with politics and race relations than the "race card". Maybe a politician didn't wwant to stir up things with the asian community.

race relations/race card two sides of the same problem?

When someone knows they can get away with anything because they know

authority will not touch them for fear of being called racist, surely which

ever way you look at it they ARE using the race card.

Not a great example of a race card being used. More like race relations and whoever at the top that didn't want to hurt relations. At least, that's my take away.

/SMH When someone does anything knowing that if they are caught they will

be treated more leniently because of their race ........ what would you call it

if not the 'race card?

Race card gets you out of anything?
I guess the statistically higher death rate of unarmed blacks by cops is because they forgot to use their race card.

I cant speak for America, we dont have armed police, but

Has it ever occurred to you that *statistically higher death of unarmed

blacks*
is because more blacks are/get into the position of being shot.

Most people committing crimes usually wear very dark clothes from head to

toe so I'm sure the police will not know what race they are shooting at.

edit on 20-1-2020 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Wait: You included disability in that list of non achieving????
Now, I do realize that quad and paraplegics do amazing things without whatever limbs they have that are functional, like even painting by mouth.

But having recognized all that, I have to say.....have you ever suffered from a disability of any kind? I'm just saing.....it's not all that easy, my friend, nor comparable to the list you supplied in your OP. Race and sex are hardly synonymous with disability.
Regards,
tet
edit on 20-1-2020 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Personally I think she could've / should've marry an African prince, and no! you bastards, a real one with real oil money and from a pedigree whose bloodlines goes back before the Anglo Saxons crossed the channel to set up shop, but from what I've seen she should've known this was coming, fact is some Brits are racist a.f

From early on , one of her soon to be family members choose to wear a black moor pendant, meant to deride not honor, some folks like to play games by denying the obvious, anyway can one have a racist opinion while being white?? Yes dammit ! ....that part is ridiculous, being called on it is more than fine by me.

The whole idea of royals anywhere today is outdated, bowing and scraping before some guy or gal just because they got $$$ and their murderous inbred ancestors kept the rest of us as slaves or serfs , ain't even quaint , it's just Stoopidt!!

So yeah breakaway stop living on welfare ...go git a freaking job.
edit on 21-1-2020 by Spider879 because: Victim of auto correct.

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 06:31 AM
link   
How taxpayers were still paying for British slave trade nearly 200 years later

Just three years ago, taxpayers were still paying off government debt borrowed to pay millions in 'compensation' to wealthy slave owners.

While some were well aware of the payments, which finally stopped in 2015, a lot of people had no idea modern Brits were paying off money the British Treasury gave to people made rich through human suffering.

The government pledged in 1833 £20 million in order to reimburse the owners of slaves when slavery was abolished in Britain. The sum, while big now, was monstrous in 1833, and it took the British taxpayer 182 years to pay off.

www.mirror.co.uk...

Not directly related to the O.P , but I honestly didn't know this was a thing.. Like wtf??.. I used to scuff at the idea of reparations, now I'm having to revisit my thoughts about the whole thing, seriously?? 2015 ??.
edit on 21-1-2020 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 07:10 AM
link   

It also doesn't mean that so-called privilege is "institutional" either. Nor does it mean that if there are more of a certain group in a profession, that there is racism or privilege (stand-in for racism) at work.

And I'm tired of being told that because I belong to X majority group, then it makes me bad because that's the assumption, and you're being disingenuous not to know it. As a minority, you have a better shot here than in most other countries in the world which is why so many break their necks marching over an unguarded border through desert just to live here illegally as a minority. They sometimes have more breaks than legal citizens of either majority or minority status.

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Sure, most racism today probably isn't institutional i would assume. However, institutional racism from the past has greatly affected minorities to this day. Such as the red lining and harsher sentences for crimes such as minor drug possession. When that is backed by the state or multiple counties on a large scale, that's institutional racism.

www.sentencingproject.org...

Is there institutional racism in law today? I don't know. Some say there is due to incarceration rates (as shown above) and a disproportionate of blacks vs white being killed in police confrontation. I can't really say if that's due to racism or not.

And it's not just race but also sex. It's only recently that women started feeling okay coming out about sexually harassment by powerful men like harvey Weinstein and that guy from Fox. Im not sure if that is institutional or just creepy men having a lot oc power. Probably just individual power.

Anyway, sorry for ranting.. You're right. America is great and much better than many other countries for minorities. I don't think that means we ignore lingering racial and sex issues. Nor should we go on some sort of social justice crusade and create a mass victim mentality. That's just as bad as saying racism or sexism doesn't exist.

You're right that some use the existance or racism and sexism to label white males as evil people. But that's honestly a small vocal minority and shouldn't negate the whole conversation altogether.

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 09:52 AM
link   
That's only kinda true, both law enforcement, political and of late military infestation of racist is making a come back, Wy Supremacist groups are flooding such organizations, this with the petty interpersonal racism on a daily basis from ordinary folks is at an all time high , I remained folks here a few yrs ago that , these folks were currently in the this administration.. But was pooh poohed to death.

From the voting rights act to gerrymandering along racial lines, nothing but denial and deflections.
Off course this was bound to set off racist sentiments and acts by some frustrated Black folks who no longer want to take the high road, ruff times ahead for all.

edit on 21-1-2020 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join