It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boris Johnson Apologises After Four-Year-Old Boy Had To Sleep On Hospital Floor

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

originally posted by: ScepticScot

UK spends less on healthcare than almost any comparable country.

So no not over funded at all.

Those countries 'peoples' will be paying higher taxes to fund their 'health services'

The trouble with the UK is the people want champagne services on lemonade

monies. ........ never works!

So you agree we should be spending more money on healthcare?

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 02:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: MRinder
a reply to: andy06shake

Why the just the rich? Do they get sick more often than the non rich? And what ievel of income separates the rich from the poor?

Also if it is something you are passionate about why don't you think you should contribute more of your own money to help solve the problem?

Basic economics. A healthy, well educated workforce is more productive and efficient which generates more profits for the employers. That and ethics and national security caused the creation of the NHS when the UK was in it's biggest deficit following WW2.

The public don't set the percentage of government spending/collected tax used for the NHS, the vast majority of the public are happy to see an increase in tax if it's spent correctly on the NHS but hundreds of billions are lost annually due to tax evasion/avoidance, laundering and offshore banking.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: MRinder

Why just the rich?

Because they can afford it.

Poor people do indeed get sick more often than the privileged few, certainly, they have a far shorter life expectancy in most areas of our nation.

I think an income of around £100,000 is about the level they should be after, additional tax-wise.

Everyone does pay for our NHS all the same via national insurance contributions.

Who's not passionate about children left on the floor of a hospital ffs???

End of the day i have my own children to consider and take care of. How could i possibly solve the problem, take him a blanky or something like that, bit of a walk from my neck of the woods I'm afraid.

edit on 10-12-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 02:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Many of these articles are short on facts and are just attempts to create drama and trigger folks emotions.

Now isn't that just the TRUTH.......life is so mundane for the many that

everything has to be a major *drama* .........omg!!! and all that, that entails

Was the 'press photographer/reporter simply on the spot? or was it a selfie

to conjour up sympathy and their five minutes of notoriety?

Yes it can get hectic. Just last week as a Forensic Nurse, and a first responder, I had to wait six hours before my patient could be seen in the ER. I didn't make her lie on the floor, or on the ground, while we waited. Though a six hour wait on a gurney, is way less than ideal.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Or was it just a plain query aked of a cold hard unfeeling bastard that simply does not give a toss?

The video is rather plain if you ask me.

Boris was not interested.

And whats with him trying to steal the dude's phone???
edit on 10-12-2019 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 02:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

So you agree we should be spending more money on healthcare?

Not necessarily ...... I think we could start with culling the wastage that goes

on first.

There are highly paid managers in health trusts who never take responsibility

for anything except saying we need more money .......we could start by getting

rid of them, and bringing back Matrons?

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 02:57 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

That makes a modicum of sense.

Not going to generate anywhere near the monies required, but it would be a step in the right direction.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 03:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: EvilAxis
a reply to: Metallicus
Actually most Brits value it greatly because we reckon everyone is entitled to health and life saving treatment, regardless of their financial status.

I care too much about my health to trust the government with my well being. It is a difference in mentality between American and British culture. American culture promotes freedom and personal responsibility.
Ah the old freedom shout. You guys still imprison more people than any other nation on earth... for stupid reasons too.

Americans and freedom is nothing but a meme, stop it will ya.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 05:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I Think the Doctor in the video i posted touches on the numerous problem associated where the lack of proper government funding of our NHS is concerned, if that helps.

It doesn't. I was asking how much has spending decreased. I don't want opinions I wanted numbers.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 05:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Did he not just flat out refuse to even look ok at the his picture when a journalist challenged him over it at first?

To be fair, a picture tells you nothing other than the story the person setting up and taking the picture wants you to see.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Thing is the numbers and opinions vary depending on who you ask.

If you wish a real take on the state of the NHS best just to ask someone who works within the system.

I don't imagine they will have anything good to say where cuts and closures are concerned.

Put it this way the NHS has lost 1,000 GPs since Jeremy Hunt set workforce target began.

That should tell you something right there.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 05:24 AM
link   

It tells me nothing, it dances around the question. Someone implied funding was decreasing due to austerity measures. I asked for the numbers so I could see the facts, not opinions.

I think it's crazy what you guys pay healthcare professionals. You pay nurses the same as what you can make as a burger flipper or Target cashier in America. That's my opinion. But I am not here for opinions I was asking for numbers, facts.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Well, why do you imagine all these hospitals and other much-needed care facilities are being closed or are underfunded /understaffed if not for Tory austerity and past 9 years of complete and utter neglect?

Last time i checked everyone was still paying their national insurance.

Fact is the Tories care little where our NHS is concerned.

And it shows in spades.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 05:32 AM
link   

If I was a healthcare worker in England I would quit too, because the pay is terrible.

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

I think it's crazy what you guys pay healthcare professionals. You pay nurses the same as what you can make as a burger flipper or Target cashier in America. That's my opinion. But I am not here for opinions I was asking for numbers, facts.

Are you sure about that? you are asking for numbers and then not provinding your own, last nurse i spoke to was earning £26,500 (not enough IMO) but are you suggesting that similar pay can be earnt by flipping burgers?

EDIT
my google search shows the following for Burger flippers in McDs

$15,679/yr not sure that is anywhere near the same as a nurse, but hey you believe it to be true

edit on 10-12-2019 by UpIsNowDown because: wage

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 05:43 AM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

Working part time. California has fast food places paying over $15 an hour, Chik-fil-a is $18 an hour. $37,440 for flipping burgers.
www.foxbusiness.com...

Like I said, I am all about numbers, here are mine.

Within a year Target starting pay for a high school student working as a cashier will be $15 an hour.
www.businessinsider.com...

That equals $31,200, or about $24k pounds. High school kids making almost the same as you pay nurses.
edit on 10-12-2019 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 06:05 AM
link   

I dont live in the states so I cant say if you are accurate or not but another article suggest that pay scale you quoted was for a manager not a flipper

Average Chick-fil-A hourly pay ranges from approximately $8.79 per hour for High School Teacher to $14.53 per hour for Training Manager. The average Chick-fil-A salary ranges from approximately $22,362 per year for Trainer to $37,000 per year for Training Manager.

Chick-fil-A - Education & Instruction Salaries in the United States

either way our nurses are not paid enough and you guys value burgers to highly
but i am not seeing any $18 hour jobs for making burgers on job websites just in a news article, without sounding condescending most people gain employment through job websites not Fox or CNN

EDIT

Salary information comes from 127 data points collected directly from employees, users, and past and present job advertisements on Indeed in the past 36 months.

edit on 10-12-2019 by UpIsNowDown because: data

EDIT 2 target

Target raises its minimum wage to $13 an hour, with goal of reaching $15 by end of 2020 Target is increasing its minimum hourly wage by a dollar to $13 in June. The increase is part of a goal to hit $15 an hour by the end of 2020.

edit on 10-12-2019 by UpIsNowDown because: not there yet

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

I sourced it. I sourced nationwide EVERY Target high school cashier will be making about the same as a nurse in the UK. Why would a burger flipper in high school use a job website? They go to the fast food place.

I am quoting starting pay by the way. Starting pay in the UK as a nurse is $20k pounds. That is $26k USD, which is LESS than the starting pay right now as a high school cashier at Target.

So if you want to know why you have a shortage, that's it. By the way the US is pushing to have nationwide $15 minimum. That equals full time pay of $24k pounds. Imagine what the NHS would cost if you paid US wages .....

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: RMFX1
We've already confirmed that our health service is funded beyond our reach. It's overfunded if anything, and it's obvious why that would be the case.

You may have confirmed it in your mind, but the great British public don't agree. That's why no political party would put NHS fund cuts in their manifesto. It would be electoral poison.

Certainly there is urgent need for reform and restructuring of our health care system, and billions could be saved by reducing the backdoor privatisation introduced by the Conservatives, such as tendering of services in the private sector.
edit on 10-12-2019 by EvilAxis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2019 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Yep. I think his reaction was a little stupid but I think most politicians even Labours superhero Corbyn wouldn't have looked at the picture straight away and reacted in a way that people would go after as well so I tend to ignore the media reaction. On the NHS you're right too. I think that even if it was funded as much as it needed there would likely still be rubbish treatment by a nurse or Doctor or there could still be no spare beds, or patients in chairs, in hallways etc. I get annoyed when people react like this.

I think some people want to react like they have been just so they can point the finger at Boris rather than at the main problem or demanding to know why the hospital allowed this to happen.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join