It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious virus shuts down every Colorado school in this area

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 09:23 AM
link   
www.tmj4.com... gXYFESRB4IE-05Q

GRAND JUNCTION, Colo. – All 46 schools in a Grand Junction-area school district will be shut down on Thursday and Friday as an unknown virus continues to spread among students and district employees.

The Mesa County Valley School District 51 will re-open after next week's Thanksgiving break.

"We are taking this highly unusual action because this virus is extremely contagious and spreading quickly across our schools," district nursing coordinator Tanya Marvin said in a news release. "In addition, it appears that there is now a second, related virus that is affecting students, some of whom have already been ill in recent weeks. The combination of the two has created an unprecedented spread of illness."

There is one thing that comes to mind when I read this.......Swine Flu (or maybe Bird Flu.)
To shut down that many schools is eye opening. Most schools need every single kid, every single day to get their funding.
This must be serious.

I wish we went back and used some of the older ways of preventing germs. Doing things like using brass door knobs and brass stair railings. Using cleaners like vinegar instead of scented water!
Kids that were sicks stayed home because there was a parent at home. Now schools will guilt you if you don't send a sick kid to school.

Oddly enough I heard a quick blurb on the news last night. It said that people on a Keto diet were less likely to catch the flu due to increased and different mucous in their digestion tract.

I've looked and there isn't any more information on this at all.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Sounds pretty serious...found this reported last hour

"Onset of symptoms for both types of viruses, including vomiting, is incredibly fast. The second version also causes fever in several cases," the district statement said. The health department says it is working to identify the illness, which is "acting a lot like norovirus" and lasts between 12-24 hours. Norovirus, sometimes called the "stomach bug," is easily spread through direct contact, consuming contaminated food or water, or touching contaminated surfaces and then putting your hands in your mouth, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Something in the food perhaps? That's the only way it could be so widespread it seems, or water maybe?

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Well thank God its travel season, that way it can spread among the rest of us.

The holidays are becoming a nightmare, between the psycho brawls at stores, robberies and contagions everyone seems to magically pickup before travel season...

Bah, humbug.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 09:51 AM
link   

There is one thing that comes to mind when I read this.......

I guess I have become jaded in my old age.

First think I thought was. "I hope it is not a test run."

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I guess I have become jaded in my old age.

First think I thought was. "I hope it is not a test run."

That was my second thought.
Swine flu first because
I had recently watched something about people trying to get pork here because they claim that the pork in Asia, (specifically, China, Vietnam & Thailand) are sick.

www.bloomberg.com...

Vietnam May Have to Declare State of Emergency Because of Killer Pig Virus

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 10:13 AM
link   

They also have to use germ-x and other hand sanitizers. It may sound gross, but washing your hands every time you turn around will keep your immune system weak. For example, I specifically remember thinking to myself, in the 3rd grade after learning about germs and our immune system, if I bite my nails - the place where most germs are - would I eventually get immune? I started biting on my nails and got sick a few times after. But I built up my immune system. It may be a coincidence but I don't get flu shots or catch the flu, I don't get colds, I've kissed three different girls who had strep throat and didn't catch it, and I MIGHT catch a stomach virus once every 5 or 6 years. I haven't bitten my nails since high school, but either mt theory of biting my nails and not washing my hands before I eat worked or it's a helluva coincidence.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Now schools will guilt you if you don't send a sick kid to school.

Can you cite a school policy which recommends sending sick kids to school? I find things like this:
www.cde.state.co.us...

I've never been "guilted" for keeping my daughter home.

edit on 11/21/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

if I bite my nails - the place where most germs are - would I eventually get immune?

pick your nose and eat the boogers... same effect.

www.cbsnews.com...
edit on 21-11-2019 by smkymcnugget420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: smkymcnugget420

Makes a ton of sense.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Now schools will guilt you if you don't send a sick kid to school.

Can you cite a school policy which recommends sending sick kids to school? I find things like this:
www.cde.state.co.us...

I know my school district sends out a letter if more than 10 days are missed in a year, even with a Drs note.
Seems like it is common practice:

www.google.com... e=UTF-8

Under House Bill 410, which took effect in April, public school students in Ohio cannot miss more than 38 hours (roughly six days) of school in a single month or 65 hours (roughly 10 days) in a year — even if they have a valid doctor's excuse. If they do miss that much school, they will be labeled excessively absent.Dec 11, 2017

www.babble.com...

I’m in a private group for mothers raising children with a chronic health condition. In that group, I see stories of harassment from schools over absences every single day.

www.cantonrep.com...

The infection was so severe Drescher took him twice to the doctor, and her son missed four days of school.

Drescher now worries that if her son has another prolonged illness, which she calls likely, they will be punished under the Ohio’s new attendance law.

www.change.org... not-school-statistics

Stop your attendance officers harassing sick children and their parents, children's health first not school statistics

edit on 21-11-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   

I know my school district sends out a letter if more than 10 days are missed in a year,
Yes, missing more than 10 days of school is a big deal.

Drescher now worries that if her son has another prolonged illness, which she calls likely, they will be punished under the Ohio’s new attendance law.
And the "punishment" is what?

In the Canton City School District, where Drescher’s son attends school, truancy administrator Wanda Lash wrote in an emailed response that the district’s intervention plans for excessive absences that are excused due to medical or other types of specific needs could include school support that involves the counselor, nurse, community and other resources to help the student get up to speed and make up missed classwork.
Your source.

In any case, sort of off topic, but you did bring it up in the OP so maybe not.

edit on 11/21/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

I am with you.

I worked with an Infectious Disease doctor and he would not allow those products near him. He said they have never made any product that is better than plain soap and clean water.

I stopped using the antiseptic stuff, made sure to give a big hug to anyone that had a cold or the flu, became diligent with washing my hands with plain soap and water, and I have not been sick since around 2006.

When people say, "stay away from me, I think I have the bug". I am the first to give them a hug and a kiss on the cheek. I need the exposure to allow my body the opportunity to win the war even if we lose a battle or two. I don't recommend this to anyone, but it has worked for me.

My brother had a bug go though his house that wiped out his family twice. Started with his wife, a pediatric nurse, spread through his house, one of them at a time, then went through again. I spent over a month cooking, cleaning, and caring for them while they were sick, I didn't get a single cough, sneeze, or sniffle.

I strongly believe that a strong immune system is your best first line of defense against bugs, known and unknown.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

And the "punishment" is what?

Each state is different. For Ohio I believe there is an "intervention", then and up child protective services.

In addition, if a child is truly sick, the school needs to butt out, especially if the parents have Doctors orders.
Those should trump all else!

Yes, missing more than 10 days of school is a big deal.

Kids get sick, I was very ill as a teen, I was out for two weeks straight. That one sickness would have put me over the number for the entire year. Little kids get sick all the time, two days here, three days there, @ ten days for the entire year they are considered excessively truant. If the school/state then sends social workers, that is harassment. I'm sure most parents want to avoid that, so they send their kids that should be home recovering to school. Then sickness spreads even more.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 10:36 AM
link   
dup

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Here you go.

Schools Shut Down

Type in this into Google. Much will then pop up.

Tanya Marvin said the virus is extremely contagious

ALSO; look at thus:

Me sa County Public Health Response
edit on 21-11-2019 by Waterglass because: added link

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   
There's a newer thread about this. It's Norovirus. It SUCKS, but it's short lived and rarely life threatening. Just puke and poop for 12-24 hours.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
There's a newer thread about this. It's Norovirus. It SUCKS, but it's short lived and rarely life threatening. Just puke and poop for 12-24 hours.

I've experienced those in Europe before. No fun. Just have to be sure one doesn't get dehydrated.

Cheers

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   
This situation is eerily similar to a situation which occurred back in 2011. There was a sudden outbreak in many different schools, forcing them to close and have the entire school sterilized in some cases. In those cases, a bunch of students would suddenly get sick in the same day, in some cases it was several hundred kids. At first they were calling it an "unknown virus" just as they are here, but soon it was being blamed on the Norovirus. I never really bought into that explanation though due to the sudden and strange nature of the propagation, which is why they didn't immediately know the cause of the illnesses. I made a thread on the topic back in 2011 when I realized how wide spread it was, on page 10 you can find a list I made of the different schools which had experienced a sudden and wide spread outbreak of a strange illness, all within the period of a month.
edit on 21/11/2019 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Could it be Norovirus?

Coz the "winter vomiting bug" is all over the UK right now.

posted on Nov, 21 2019 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
This situation is eerily similar to a situation which occurred back in 2011. There was a sudden outbreak in many different schools, forcing them to close and have the entire school sterilized in some cases. In those cases, a bunch of students would suddenly get sick in the same day, in some cases it was several hundred kids. At first they were calling it an "unknown virus" just as they are here, but soon it was being blamed on the Norovirus. I never really bought into that explanation though due to the sudden and strange nature of the propagation, which is why they didn't immediately know the cause of the illnesses. I made a thread on the topic back in 2011 when I realized how wide spread it was, on page 10 you can find a list I made of the different schools which had experienced a sudden and wide spread outbreak of a strange illness, all within the period of a month.

Thank you for that link! wow wow & wow, that is eerily similar. How scary!
I also don't think this is Norovirus. If it were Norovirus I feel the sickness would be more staggered. I don't think all these kids would be spontaneously sick at the same time. It take 12-48 hours to get it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join