It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Outer Worlds ACG Review

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I've been looking forward to The Outer Worlds since it was announced last year , it's been a long wait but now The Outer Worlds releases this Friday and the wait is nearly over , depending on how it reviews it's a day one purchase so I've been awaiting the reviews ... now the reviews are up , for me the reviewerI trust is Karak from ACG as in my opinion he properly reviews a game and its constituent parts and gives his opinion on them, I find him to be an honest and knowledgeable reviewer who has similar testes to mine so if he likes it it's likely so will I.
So here is the ACG review for The Outer Worlds.

Day one purchase then !

It's worth mentioning that there is only one version of The Outer Worlds so in a refreshing change from what is normal practice in the game industry you get the whole game without having to buy the "Super deluxe special unlimited Edition" , also there are NO microtransactions.

That also makes it a day one purchase.

edit on 23-10-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I remember someone saying in another thread you were in this would be available in Microsoft's game pass if you don't want to buy and intend on getting through it in a month or two... Can't remember the member.

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Yeah it's available on the Microsoft store but I'm getting it from Greenman as they're selling it cheaper than anywhere else.
As for it being on the Epic store ... I'll just have to suck it up and join.

edit on 23-10-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Undecided on this one .
Just found one called Daymare.

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   

What would you compare this game to, I've watched a few videos but am kind of in the dark still (probably my own fault).

I know it's an RPG, but is it kind of a looter shooter in the sense you're constantly getting new gear... Or is it more of an upgrade as you go type gig?

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

It's made by the studio who made Fallout New Vegas , two of the guys who made the original Fallout games are also at the studio so in many ways it's like Fallout in space , which has got to be a good thing.

From what I've read Bethesda screwed Obsidian over royalties from New Vegas so I think this is their response to that.
If you're into RPG and shooter games this will scratch your itch , if you like Fallout then it's probably an essential purchase.
edit on 23-10-2019 by gortex because: spelling

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Hmmm, the Fallout comparison is throwing me for a loop.

For whatever reason, I'm petty enough that repairing weapons and gear seems like a chore to me in game and turns me off despite equally as trivial factors existing in different ways in other games that I love.

I don't know what's wrong with me.

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Looked forward to by a LOT of fallout fan's whom have gotten fed up with Bethesda's quality, lack of AI and poor RPG mechanic's - the same crowd including myself whom think that the best modern fallout game WAS and still is New Vegas.

Also it is exactly that, fallout in space albeit they could not use the title or put it in the fallout universe they have still done it almost as a finger up to Bethesda and IF it allows modding which being a single player game it probably will - eventually - then we can expect a lot of the fallout mod makers to learn whatever new tool's this engine uses and come over to modding this instead.

Really Mods are the only thing Bethesda have going for them with there fallout games - speaking as a PC gamer - and mod makers are constantly tweaking, fixing and adding quests to there broken games creating new content that is often superior to that which the studio itself provided.

The hub bases world's is a great idea as it may provide mod makers the chance to create there own hub's, planets and quests trees, also being made by these talented folk it is going to have a quest line were your decision's actually matter unlike Bethesda's extremely poor RPG mechanic's.

I will be waiting a while for the price to drop, perhaps a good while but will be keeping an eye on it and who knows if the review's are good enough I may just bit the bullet and get sooner rather than later.

Also Bethesda's greed and trying to monetize mod making run's the risk of destroying the mod community there fallout and TES games survive on, it's like they just don't get the fact that it is the fact that there is a community creating free mod's many of them extremely high professional quality (as well as thing's that bounce but we won't go there) that is how there games survive so very long when other better game's produced by other studios have long since come and gone, it's not because of Bethesda that there game's survive so long (especially on the PC) but thank's to third party mod hosting web sites such as the NEXUS (Who faced a backlash as well when they put there toes into the monetized mod idea then backtracked when there community almost rioted).

Currently Bethesda do have the best modding community and have somehow struck a fine line between the free and the monetized mod's, free on the nexus and monetized on there creation club store - most people just ignore there store completely since there are better and bigger mod's for free on the NEXUS.

If therefore the makers of the outer world's have played this right and allow mod making and give the community an easy to use tool to make there mod's (something Bethesda did do - they used to understand even if corporate greed has now over ruled there original beliefs) then we not may but WILL see a huge number of mod makers and people currently tweaking and modding Bethesda aging wreck of a game('s) and rapidly take up the slack by modding the hell out of the outer worlds so I certainly hope they do allow modding on this game engine - it will take between two to four years though for the really good mod's to then be created since the mod makers have to learn all the thing's they can and can not do without breaking the game.

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

You raise a good point LABTECH , it seems they will be bringing mod support sometime after launch.

“We’d love for players to be able to mod,” co-director Leonard Boyarsky. “We’re going to look into that after we ship, in terms of what kind of support we can have for it.” That comes from Game Informer’s interview with Boyarsky and fellow director Tim Cain, which follows the outlet’s usual rapid-fire question format.
www.pcgamesn.com...

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Dude, gamepass baby, can already preload it, just unistalled FO76 to make space for a decent RPG

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Waiting until next year when it hits steam, sorry can't ethically support Epic.

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown

Dude, gamepass baby, can already preload it, just unistalled FO76 to make space for a decent RPG

Gamepass is just going over the top with the games on there now. So many games, so little space left!

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Purchased the game and now , with others , I wait for the start of the weekend.

And I can't throw a sickie.

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I'm only a few hours into this game but, honestly, already my favorite game of the past several years if not longer.

This, for the most part ( I'll clarify in a moment ) is the game that I've been waiting for Bethesda to make since my love affair with Morrowind back, what, fifteen or sixteen years ago?

This is Fallout / TES in space... But without the bugs... Without the microtransactions... Without the forced and blatant grind... Without Preston By God Garvey and his never ending list of settlements that need your help.

Just the single fact that I've enjoyed several hours without being directed to some BS in-game store where I'm then pressured to spend real world money - in 2019 - is already enough for me to say "Ten out of ten, game of the year candidate" by itself...

But that I spent at least 45 minutes in character creation and actually enjoyed doing so... That I've only really done the first short leg of the main quest line and have already made a difficult and game changing decision with actual permanent stakes... That without even trying I've already found numerous, interesting side quests that I was free to take, or leave and that could be completed in varying ways and that were actually enjoyable... That it's an absolutely gorgeous game...

All these things combine into one Hell of an excellent experience.

The one caveat is that it's not a true open world. It's structured as a hybrid between how games like KOTOR and games like modern Fallout work... Open zones you can travel in and out of vs a fully open map.

Having said that, even with that KOTOR-like approach, the world(s) still feel vast and full of life.

Given that it's available via Xbox Game Pass for PC - and that there's a promotion right now to sign up for a month of that for either $1 or $2, I can't see any reason for anyone and everyone not to at least give this game a shot. If I'd have paid $60 for it I'd still be recommending it.

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Given that it's available via Xbox Game Pass for PC - and that there's a promotion right now to sign up for a month of that for either $1 or $2,

Xbox is offering it at 1$ for the first month with six months of Spotify premium.

The caveat is these deals typically force you to attach credit card with reoccurring subscription unless you cancel. A life hack I find for this is setting a calendar reminder in my phone to cancel anything I don't want to renew.

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Only got to play a few hours so far due to work, but have loved every second of it.

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide
a reply to: Puppylove

Just got back from work and am downloading now.
Thanks for the feedback guys , good to know I haven't wasted the money and the game is what I'd hoped it would be

Will I be a good guy or a bad guy ... Hmmmm decisions decisions

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   

It's not a good guy vs. bad guy type scenaro. There is no morality meter, it's competing interests and ideals instead.

I mean you can go around and murder everybody but that's you being a psychopath, it's not a byproduct of the scenario.

I love it, so sick of the black and white, good and evil bull#. Most conflicts aren't so stupidly cut and dry.

It's also an actions and consequences scenario. The road to hell is paved with good intentions type thing. A decision can be both idealistically sound, but result in disasterous consequences because of natural consequences of the decision.
edit on 10/25/2019 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Played just over an hour and so far love look and design of the game and the humour , currently in Edgewater and just picked up my first lackey ... sorry team member.

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

It's not a good guy vs. bad guy type scenaro. There is no morality meter, it's competing interests and ideals instead

It is for my character, is he there to see a good outcome or is he a self centered SOB , it may not matter in the game other than effect the ending but it is part of role playing a character.

As it is I've reverted to type and gone in as a Savior although I was tempted to shoot that idiot kid in the cave.

edit on 25-10-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join