It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2019 Ozone Hole is the Smallest on Record Since Its Discovery

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nothin

originally posted by: gallop

a reply to: 727Sky

Quick!
We need a new tax, to save the shrinking ozone-hole !!

I'll organize a world wide school strike, you find some young teenager who you can manipulate to say what we want people to hear.

Together, we'll save the planet!!

Part of that scheme: is that they always make a wad of cash.
So we need the economic model in place, before we force the solution down their throats.
Am not good at business though.
Any entrepreneurs around ?

If we can't make cash out of it, we'll just leave it till the next generation. Who wants to bother with all of this, for nothing.

Amirite?

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 06:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus
a reply to: bally001

You’d remember the big scare campaign about lead fuel too, right?

I remember they also told us not to chew on our lead pencils.

But.. they weren't lead. :/

Here's the thing... On Topic.

We know we're not helping the planet. But we also know that we cannot change. Not in any meaningful way. It's the futility of being us - we're not a cooperative lot, and we all want to survive. Loads of people want their money, and will not stop any anything to get it, part of that surviving thing.. greed. excess.

But at the same time, this planet is not a baby. It is, and will, shake off it's fleas. That means us, by the by. We're not sent here by god, we're just a bipedal fungus. We're going bye bye eventually. So.. we can scratch and claw at ways to stop the earth from ending us, by standing on quakes and tethered to hurricanes. Shielded from solar rays, and entomed in boxes to prevent radioactive things..

But we're still just a fleeting thing, on this ball of mud.

We're not going to be here in a million years, we're going to either have evolved to the point this planet becomes a story told to children, in a far away platform, so distant it's just a dream.. or we'll be as the wind.. be it terrestrial or solar.. just blowing away, without anyone to feel it.

Should you wish to put out the fire engulfing the place in which you stay, go at it.. it won't stop the place from burning down.. might make the neighbours feel a bit better too.. but it's going to burn down.

The Earth will not remain OUR earth.. it's hers... and nothing lives forever on her.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   
If I remember correctly, the US Atomic Energy Commission admitted that their Upper Atmosphere Nuclear tests actually caused the Ozone depletion. This was in the 1990s sometime.

Thank Goodness the USA doesn't explode Atomic weapons anymore (do they???), under the ground, on the ground, in the air, in the near space, in the ocean, under the ocean..........they even wanted to bomb the Moon.....just to see what happens!!!

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: gort51

Bombing the moon might have helped answering some of the mysteries in planetary astronomy and astrogeology.

Mysteries... MYSTERIES!!!!!

"Mommy, whats that?"
"Why that's the moon sweety. Do you see all the glowing pieces covering the night sky?"
"Im scared mommy...."

Oo

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus

You’d remember the big scare campaign about lead fuel too, right?

I remember they also told us not to chew on our lead pencils.

But.. they weren't lead. :/

Here's the thing... On Topic.

We know we're not helping the planet. But we also know that we cannot change. Not in any meaningful way.

I don't agree with what you are saying. Public policy matters. In 1978 they did not just roll over and die because the aerosol spray lobby in DC was too powerful.

"In 1978, the United States, Canada and Norway enacted bans on CFC-containing aerosol sprays that damage the ozone layer. "

I think government and public policies have a role in defining our quality of life.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Quick!

I'll organize a world wide school strike, you find some young teenager who you can manipulate to say what we want people to hear.

So we need the economic model in place, before we force the solution down their throats.

If we can't make cash out of it, we'll just leave it till the next generation. Who wants to bother with all of this, for nothing.

Amirite?

Well: if you wanted to steal their jerbs, just thought that you might use their MO ?

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Good point! Most of the people who tremble over the Climate Change hysteria are young and impressionable.

And progressive up to age 95. The rest of us were here during the Cold War and threats of nuclear fallout, the hole in the ozone, etc. There's a reason democrats want the voting age to be 16 now that they've taken over the majority of our classrooms.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

did you not read the tread??

it was not the CFC's that depleted the Ozone layer

it was nuclear testing

ya know the very large Bombs that make huge mushroom clouds

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: thedigirati

it was nuclear testing

One member off of memory said that an agency admitted this was the, or possibly one of the causes.

The NASA article in OP has no mention of nuclear testing, and speaks of the aerosols multiple times.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Yes, but I'll ask the question again. If it's man made pollution from western industrialised nations, how come the largest ozone hole was over Antarctica when all those nasty western industrial nations are in the northern hemisphere.
Do those nasty ozone killing chemicals in the northern hemisphere say "let's not go to the arctic as it's too close, let's travel all the way to Antarctica to deplete the ozone there"?
Funny that aint it.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Come back to me in 500 thousand years, let me know how your fare worked.

That's the point, brother.. We're not going to change climate change. we're not going to even dent it.

Yes, we #ed a lot up, but none of that IS GOING TO CHANGE.. And even if it did, the planet will still just change back.

I don't know... I was once a staunch vocal climate change agonist.. something needed to change. But now? what's domne is done, and it's not us.. we cannot reverse the earth.

We just have to make do now. the earth is doing what it does. with or without us..

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Quick!

Amirite?

Well: if you wanted to steal their jerbs, just thought that you might use their MO ?

You have jumped the gun. We're not illiterate minions from the future, yet. .... YET... Oo

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

What has a 95 year old got to worry about when it comes to climate change?

haha

"dear, close the window.."

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 10:05 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Quick!

HOW DARE YOU

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   

a reply to: CriticalStinker

Ok here is the science

That would appear to show nuclear testing may have had an impact on the ozone.

It does not prove your earlier claim that CFC's had no impact, implying nuclear testing was the sole cause.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Americans are so ignorant that you don't even know that Canada was the one stopping it and decreasing it since the 90s. Which country is the one who start it all Canadians. Who started poking China on pollution? Canadians. You can thank Canadians especially now that the cars are less and less gas guzzling. Travel to Canada and check out their new homes, you'll see a lot has already change since housing and heating. All the out date junk were old American tech that Canadians used. Asbestos is gone, old ac tech is gone, etc.
edit on 22-10-2019 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   

it was nuclear testing

Jdfnj2015 is right, though. I remember because I worked in air conditioning and refrigeration at the time.

CFCs, notably R-12, destroy ozone. A single R-12 molecule could strip the extra oxygen atom off of hundreds of ozone molecules. It was solid, demonstrable, provable, repeatable science. It could be shown under lab conditions by anyone. Some CFCs, like R-114a or R-22, were not much of a problem because they were more dense than air and couldn't rise up to the ozone layer. That's why automotive air conditioners use the less efficient R-114a instead of R-12 today.

The important takeaway from this is the solution. We didn't tax R-12 and keep using it, we stopped manufacturing it.

That's my biggest heartburn with the climate change debate today. If the use of fossil fuels today is really making the environment unlivable, a carbon tax isn't going to solve the problem. The solution is to stop using fossil fuels. And that would apply to everyone, regardless of how it might hurt the "economy" or inconvenience the rich or the government or the military. No sense in having a "good" economy if it kills everyone.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Its “may be proven” not has been proven. Don’t get ahead of yourself. Like other have pointed out, the earth goes through cycles varying degrees and effects. This could be one. We may very well be less significant than we give ourselves credit for. The only time humanity is an issues or an underlying cause is where there is money to be made. Weve been around for more years than we can count... but ever since lobbyists found theres money to be made in the fear mongering has it became an issue.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

I am very thankful for all the neanderthals and mammoths and their excessive use of cfc’s to deplete the ozone and free us from the horrible ice age.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join